Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Welfare Question

Welfare Question

Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:41 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welfare Question

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I'm just curious, what is the criteria for receiving welfare? I guess it varies state by state, do you get X amount if you earn less than X amount per year? Is there a cut off date? Like I said just curious, some parts of the system I'm completely in the dark about
Must be below poverty line, and depends on how many dependents you have. Instead of just giving people welfare checks, they get checks and food stamps, to make sure that it is actually spent on food. Many below poverty line are also on Medicaid, with free treatment of medical and medicines. Loads of rules though!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Sorry tracy, was a bit confused.
No problem - I was unclear, my apologies
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:43 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

There is such a terrible stigma attached to welfare of any kind in this country. People work and work and then, when the shit comes down, are too ashamed to take welfare. That is a bunch of BS as far as i am concerned.
Agree totally: if you qualify for it, you should take it. It's what it's there for. People that don't take unemployment/welfare/disability etc when they're entitled to it are causing themselves grief for no reason.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:44 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Must be below poverty line, and depends on how many dependents you have. Instead of just giving people welfare checks, they get checks and food stamps, to make sure that it is actually spent on food. Many below poverty line are also on Medicaid, with free treatment of medical and medicines. Loads of rules though!
Thanks. So is there a national poverty line or do they vary state by state
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its mostly State and varies by State, I did have it explained it to me, horribly complicated, you really need to know your stuff to make sure you max out the programmes.

WIC, well the volume here seems very generous, most of our milk and butter came form this for a while, surplus to requirements. Seems to be a tie in with the farming lobby.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:53 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I think each state runs its own system with different guidelines, etc. Some states have time limits as to how long you can be on it, they may require you to work or go to school if you are able, but give you childcare vouchers, etc., and it is about impossible for a healthy male to get it (in most states) unless he is a single dad.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:01 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

May I just say 'OMFG!!!" ha ha. My step daughter was sick last year. She has medicaid. One night she was choking, couldn't breathe. I put the kettle on. Called the Doc. Made an appointment for........two months hence!

I told them to ##% off!!! Medicaid means nothing.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:09 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Medicaid is NOT free - while the majority of the bill is paid by Medicaid, there is still a copay that the provider will chase you for payment.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

May I just say 'OMFG!!!" ha ha. My step daughter was sick last year. She has medicaid. One night she was choking, couldn't breathe. I put the kettle on. Called the Doc. Made an appointment for........two months hence!

I told them to ##% off!!! Medicaid means nothing.
A new doctor?

That has not been my experiance.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:28 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski
Medicaid is NOT free - while the majority of the bill is paid by Medicaid, there is still a copay that the provider will chase you for payment.
Not unless you go to a provider that accepts Medicaid as full payment or go to a 'clinic.' I know These may be hard to find in some areas.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:33 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring back government cheese, to hell with Food Stamps and Independence Cards.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Titchski

Since when?

Not talking about Medicare here.

Last edited by Mallory; Jan 7th 2008 at 4:36 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very dodgy reply IMO. Did you manage to buy beer with you food stamps Or is this some urban myth? Is Oklahoma some utopian dreamworld where the government pay for your beer? Where do I sign? I'm there!!! If this is true please show a link.
There was a scam in maine where people would get milk with food stamps, empty them down the drain to get bottle refunds which they could then use for beer and smokes, so can no longer get milk on food stamps up there
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:55 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There was a scam in maine where people would get milk with food stamps, empty them down the drain to get bottle refunds which they could then use for beer and smokes, so can no longer get milk on food stamps up there
People here used to just sell the foodstamps for cash. Now that those cards are used the cardholder goes to the store with the person or just gives them the card to use, after they get the cash.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bottle refunds?? Thought that was only available for glass bottles? Do you get your milk in glass bottles up there?? If so, I didn't realize that was still done. We get ours in a plastic jug.

Food stamps and WIC are great for those that actually need it, I just wish there was some way to make sure the system couldn't be abused and ensure people who need it can get it. My best friend was once denied WIC because they made $10 too much - I could not believe it when she told me that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.