Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Welfare Question

Welfare Question

Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:23 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Welfare Question

In the U.S. employers pay a Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA ) tax to cover workers that lose their job.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...uitaxtopic.asp

With Welfare and Food Stamps the money comes out of general tax revenues. State and Federal unemployment taxes are dedicated taxes to run the program.

Last edited by mdyoung; Jan 9th 2008 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 11:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mdyoung
In the U.S. employers pay a Federal Unemployment Tax Act (FUTA ) tax to cover workers that lose their job.

http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...uitaxtopic.asp

With Welfare and Food Stamps the money comes out of general tax revenues. State and Federal unemployment taxes are dedicated taxes to run the program.
If the benefit is somehow derived from a prior contribution, then I would take it as being Insurance even when supplied by a Government and not equitably contributed for, NHS for example.

Welfare usually does not fall into that category, charity can be Government paid or Individual paid. When it is Government paid it is just a forcible form.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:31 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
charity can be Government paid or Individual paid.
Tosh - the government doesn't do anything out of the goodness of its heart - it's not allowed to.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

welfare, food stamps, unemployment benefit, income support. No matter what it is called, its there for a reason - to help people in times of need. My biggest gripe is that some peoples basics are my luxuries. But wouldnt life be boring if we all had the same opinions.

All I know is that me, myself and I, when I am broke even now, when I was down, and believe me I have been there, while working and while not working, had to sit down and seriously look at my standard of living. I am not saying it deteriorated I am saying that there were things that were put on the priority list that I just took for granted before. So yes it does amaze me I see that people are probably coping a lot better than I did, or do, and manage to have what I would call luxuries whilst having a tough time financially.

If they can afford cell phones great. I know I couldnt. If they can afford the lobster, great! I couldnt. and I wouldnt. There are so many different reasons people end up getting assistance so there is no way you can paint everyone with the same brush. And I made sure I picked myself up and dusted myself donw to get back off it when I was on it for a short time. Even If i thought having a cell phone was a priority, unfortunately kids shoes, kids clothes, food, rent, utilities, had more of a priority. And as for a job, I walked, I applied, i wrote, I posted, i called, there are ways to do everything if u have the right mindset. Yes it is simpler to have a cell phone to be reached all the time... but when plan A is not going to work, then plan B sets in. Being in need isnt fun by any stretch of the imagination, but u got to help urself first before u can expect help from anyone else.

Ur right welfare is not charity. Its tax payers money being used for a service. Its not a handout its a hand up!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Tosh - the government doesn't do anything out of the goodness of its heart - it's not allowed to.
I did not comment about motivation.

A handout is a handout is a handout. Source does not change what it is.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:51 pm

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I did not comment about motivation. A handout is a handout is a handout. Source does not change what it is.
Charity has to be voluntary on the part of the giver.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Charity has to be voluntary on the part of the giver.
That would describe welfare.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 3:38 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Medicaid, SSI, welfare payments, WIC and food stamps go to those below the poverty line.

Medicare goes to the elderly and disabled.

Unemployment benefits are payable to those that have lost their job, regardless of income.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:37 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Medicaid, SSI, welfare payments, WIC and food stamps go to those below the poverty line.

Medicare goes to the elderly and disabled.

Unemployment benefits are payable to those that have lost their job, regardless of income.
Not every state has a guaranteed unemployment benefit.
Shock-horror to them who doesn't know!

The one I'm in has no promise that if you are laid off you will get "the dole" - its all done on a case by case basis.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
If they can afford cell phones great. I know I couldnt. If they can afford the lobster, great! I couldnt. and I wouldnt.
Thing is, if your up in Maine, and get lobster straight from the fisherman on one of the islands, you could get a lobster for $6 and some will take food stamps, which is cheaper than get a slab of meat...does mean going off to the coast though
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:09 pm

That would describe welfare.
This is just self-evidently incorrect - there's probably not much point in continuing this.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

This is just self-evidently incorrect - there's probably not much point in continuing this.
Self evidently correct I think you meant.

But the sense of entitlement does go to the route cause of many problems.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:57 pm
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deedee13
what a crock of sh%t!!!!

what the hell did we do when cell phones were not around!

I got a job without using my cell phone! I did it the old fashioned way with the postal system and they called my HOUSE PHONE! a cell phone in my opiinion .. is a bloody luxury. And before i take my kids to a bloody feeding kitchen i would get rid of my cell phone in a heart beat!!!!

I dont give a damn what people eat, or what the hell they drink. If i can afford steak i eat it, if i cant I DONT!!! The trouble is we all have different ideas of what are essentiials and what are not. Basic means to me BASIC!

Not to forget that most people that work and dont get welfare are in a worse state than those sitting at home.
I don't think it is a crock, not at all. I volunteer at a homeless shelter and 75% of the people work low paying jobs. Those kind of jobs are frequently through day labour companies so a cell phone is a necessity for them to get the call about their job. There are fewer and fewer pay phones around and the shelter has no phone and is only open 8 am to 6 pm. The cell phone is a necessity for those who work, it really is.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
This is a very dodgy reply IMO. Did you manage to buy beer with you food stamps Or is this some urban myth? Is Oklahoma some utopian dreamworld where the government pay for your beer? Where do I sign? I'm there!!! If this is true please show a link.
Yeah I've got to agree......in my knowledge you can't even buy toiletries with food stamps.....how could you get away buying beer?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:56 pm
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yeah I've got to agree......in my knowledge you can't even buy toiletries with food stamps.....how could you get away buying beer?
OK my wife now just said you can't buy beer on food stamps. It just depends on if the store sells beer and if the cashier puts it through

I'll refrain from posting anything my wife says now without fully researching myself. My apologies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.