Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Welcome to the US" event

"Welcome to the US" event

Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:23 am
Just Joined

blessedwhitney is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face "Welcome to the US" event

My fiance should (fingers crossed) be able to move over in a few months. I want to do something special for when he first arrives, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I would go all out and make it a big party, but I'm not sure how well that will go over after being on a plane for so long.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions for something to celebrate his first day here? What would you like to have done? Or what activities do you think we should avoid?

Thanks!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Welcome to the US" event

A cold crate of beer is likely to work...

A party is a nice idea but yes, he's likely to be tired, and don't forget the time difference. He might just be ready to crawl into bed! It could be overwhelming anyway, especially if he's never met any of the others and the party was in his honor. But I'm sure he'd appreciate it, maybe a few days after arrival? I'm not trying to be a party pooper, honest!

If it were me, I'd probably be happy with a meal out at a reasonably good restaurant with just a few of the closest friends/family.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 12:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Having gone the K-1 route ourselves, I have to throw a damper on things and say no party for entry on the K-1. You are about to get married and there will be two parties in the near future, i.e. shower and wedding reception. We saved a welcome to the US party for the real event, US naturalization.

Do something with him totally American such as attending a football tailgating party or have a late fall bbq.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 1:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blessedwhitney View Post
I want to do something special for when he first arrives...
I suggest pink lingerie and not much else... but, of course, not at the airport!

Ian
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:55 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

if i did a party - i would do it a good few days after arrival. If they will be meeting lots of new people for the first time - they likely wont want to have been travelling most of the day and be rumpled, tired and in need of a shower/bed. In a few days they should be a bit more grounded and looking forward to meeing the new peeps.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:00 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui View Post
if i did a party - i would do it a good few days after arrival. If they will be meeting lots of new people for the first time - they likely wont want to have been travelling most of the day and be rumpled, tired and in need of a shower/bed. In a few days they should be a bit more grounded and looking forward to meeing the new peeps.
+1 That's what I was thinking too. Although, I do find the best cure for jetlag (from UK to US) is to go out the first night and try and stay out till at least 11pm. Works for me at least!

I'd say, first day he'll probably just want to spend time with you so a nice meal (at home or out) would probably be the ticket.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
I suggest pink lingerie and not much else... but, of course, not at the airport!

Ian
I was going to suggest the same...that or the old fur coat and no knickers routine.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blessedwhitney View Post
I want to do something special for when he first arrives, but I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Have to say, having an OH who used to be away traveling for months on end, that one sounds like a no-brainer to me!
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I took my mother to an NFL game the first day she ever spent in the US. She hated it
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:39 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
I took my mother to an NFL game the first day she ever spent in the US. She hated it
Did that set the tone for the whole visit.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

I took my parents to a baseball game, we asked about getting their name on the big screen saying Welcome and they did, no cost involved, between innings. That might be something to try for at their first sports event.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a thought, you know those signs they change outside churches and business's, with sale info or gems of wisdom on them. Can't think of what they are called at the moment. If there are any on the drive home see if you can get the people to put up "Welcome to the US Bob", obviously using his name. It only has to be up there for one day, you could even offer to go around and do it yourself.
Old Nov 1st 2010, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Should've gone for Ian's suggestion!
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 3:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post

Ian
You need a poppy for your doggies head now Ian...the pumpkin is so yesterday.
Old Nov 2nd 2010, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You need a poppy for your doggies head now Ian...the pumpkin is so yesterday.
Damn... just when I thought I was being trendy!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.