British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   "Welcome to the US" event (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/welcome-us-event-691682/)

blessedwhitney Nov 1st 2010 12:23 am

"Welcome to the US" event

My fiance should (fingers crossed) be able to move over in a few months. I want to do something special for when he first arrives, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I would go all out and make it a big party, but I'm not sure how well that will go over after being on a plane for so long.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions for something to celebrate his first day here? What would you like to have done? Or what activities do you think we should avoid?

Thanks!

GeoffM Nov 1st 2010 9:35 am

Re: "Welcome to the US" event

A cold crate of beer is likely to work...

A party is a nice idea but yes, he's likely to be tired, and don't forget the time difference. He might just be ready to crawl into bed! It could be overwhelming anyway, especially if he's never met any of the others and the party was in his honor. But I'm sure he'd appreciate it, maybe a few days after arrival? I'm not trying to be a party pooper, honest!

If it were me, I'd probably be happy with a meal out at a reasonably good restaurant with just a few of the closest friends/family.

Rete Nov 1st 2010 12:45 pm

Having gone the K-1 route ourselves, I have to throw a damper on things and say no party for entry on the K-1. You are about to get married and there will be two parties in the near future, i.e. shower and wedding reception. We saved a welcome to the US party for the real event, US naturalization.

Do something with him totally American such as attending a football tailgating party or have a late fall bbq.

ian-mstm Nov 1st 2010 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by blessedwhitney (Post 8953804)
I want to do something special for when he first arrives...

I suggest pink lingerie and not much else... but, of course, not at the airport! ;)

Ian

MsElui Nov 1st 2010 3:55 pm

if i did a party - i would do it a good few days after arrival. If they will be meeting lots of new people for the first time - they likely wont want to have been travelling most of the day and be rumpled, tired and in need of a shower/bed. In a few days they should be a bit more grounded and looking forward to meeing the new peeps.

Bink Nov 1st 2010 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 8955010)
if i did a party - i would do it a good few days after arrival. If they will be meeting lots of new people for the first time - they likely wont want to have been travelling most of the day and be rumpled, tired and in need of a shower/bed. In a few days they should be a bit more grounded and looking forward to meeing the new peeps.

+1 That's what I was thinking too. Although, I do find the best cure for jetlag (from UK to US) is to go out the first night and try and stay out till at least 11pm. Works for me at least! :p

I'd say, first day he'll probably just want to spend time with you so a nice meal (at home or out) would probably be the ticket.

Jerseygirl Nov 1st 2010 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8954770)
I suggest pink lingerie and not much else... but, of course, not at the airport! ;)

Ian

I was going to suggest the same...that or the old fur coat and no knickers routine. :lol:

Nutmegger Nov 1st 2010 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by blessedwhitney (Post 8953804)
I want to do something special for when he first arrives, but I'm at a loss as to what to do.

Have to say, having an OH who used to be away traveling for months on end, that one sounds like a no-brainer to me!:rofl:

Giantaxe Nov 1st 2010 4:37 pm

I took my mother to an NFL game the first day she ever spent in the US. She hated it :)

Mummy in the foothills Nov 1st 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 8955083)
I took my mother to an NFL game the first day she ever spent in the US. She hated it :)

Did that set the tone for the whole visit. :D

bevinva Nov 1st 2010 4:45 pm

I took my parents to a baseball game, we asked about getting their name on the big screen saying Welcome and they did, no cost involved, between innings. That might be something to try for at their first sports event.

bevinva Nov 1st 2010 4:51 pm

Just had a thought, you know those signs they change outside churches and business's, with sale info or gems of wisdom on them. Can't think of what they are called at the moment. If there are any on the drive home see if you can get the people to put up "Welcome to the US Bob", obviously using his name. It only has to be up there for one day, you could even offer to go around and do it yourself.

GeoffM Nov 1st 2010 4:53 pm

Should've gone for Ian's suggestion! :rofl:

Jerseygirl Nov 2nd 2010 3:02 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8954770)

Ian

You need a poppy for your doggies head now Ian...the pumpkin is so yesterday. :lol:

ian-mstm Nov 2nd 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8956144)
You need a poppy for your doggies head now Ian...the pumpkin is so yesterday. :lol:

Damn... just when I thought I was being trendy!

Ian