Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weird San Jose headache

Wikiposts

Weird San Jose headache

Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of
Default Weird San Jose headache

Ok so this may sound a bit strange but my wife and I moved over from England about 4 mths ago and we have found that fairly regularly (1-2 x week) we wake up with a banging headache that takes a few hours to go

Another friend of mine moved over at a similar time and talking to him , he has had the same problem !

So that implies its not something in our apartment (i.e carbon monox plus we have a detector)

Anyone else had this, do you think its allergies ? what would it be this time of year?

Long shot but hey :-) .....
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird San Jose headache

probably allergies - not in your area but live in Central Texas where we have a huge Cedar. Looking at the allergy forecast in your area, see you have Cedar Trees as well, so that could well be the issue. My husband always use to dismiss allergies but then we moved to Pflugerville - December - Feb is a nightmare. Tree pollens seem to be the worse. Watch for Molds as well, always see high here unless it rains.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

tilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud oftilz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jjmb
probably allergies - not in your area but live in Central Texas where we have a huge Cedar. Looking at the allergy forecast in your area, see you have Cedar Trees as well, so that could well be the issue. My husband always use to dismiss allergies but then we moved to Pflugerville - December - Feb is a nightmare. Tree pollens seem to be the worse. Watch for Molds as well, always see high here unless it rains.
Thanks yes that's what I thought but couldn't work out what it could be, I will keep checking the forecast for tree pollen, do you just take an antihistamine then?
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:21 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The first few times I was there in Silicon Valley I had major headaches. Turns out it was from the sun and not wearing sunglasses basically every time I was outside. For some reason the sunlight just felt more intense there. Sunglasses really helped.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The first few times I was there in Silicon Valley I had major headaches. Turns out it was from the sun and not wearing sunglasses basically every time I was outside. For some reason the sunlight just felt more intense there. Sunglasses really helped.
I wear sunglasses a lot when I am out but I wake up with a headache, its weird I haven't had them before, I even bought an air filter thingy to see if its something in the air I am reacting to , no real luck so far ...
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Can you move your carbon monoxide detector closer to your bed? Don't assume it can't be that, even if it doesn't seem to make sense that it would be. With BOTH of you having the issue at the same time I'd be very worried this was the cause. And the detector you have could be old, they only last a certain number of years (five??).

Could also be a new/different bad causes a bad neck position that gives you a headache?? That would affect you both, but unlikely on the same day.

A friend of mine said wear sunglasses even if it's cloudy, the sun's so bright, and I always do. And allergies, again, why would it affect you both the same days? And allergens aren't high this time of year (if you're having trouble now, just wait!).

Been in San Jose 10 years now and rarely had headaches when I wake up over than those to do with the bed or muscle pulls.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live near the airport flight path on the Santa Clara side? Sometimes people get headaches from airport noise when airplanes are taking off near them. Planes normally take off over Santa Clara but have been landing over Santa Clara for the past couple of days and should continue for another few days due to the wind direction.

If you are near the flight path and it makes a difference whether planes are landing or taking off, that may be a reason. However 95% of the time, planes take off over Santa Clara so it is going to be difficult to tell.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that effects me is forced air hearing. It dries out the air in the house, I quiet often wake up with a mild headache in winter. Wears off as soon as I'm up and doing things.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 4:51 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'd second Lansbury's forced air heating theory. Very, very dry air can really screw up your sinuses.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Very possible it's the forced air, if you have it. We had a humidifier attached to our furnace just for that reason.

Also, I would recommend not just any old fashionable sunglasses. You should get polarized sunglasses. They reduce glare even on cloudy days. I find myself squinting even when its cloudy out, if I don't wear mine.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all , yes I think its the forced air, thinking about it more sinuses seem to be the problem, that said I will get another carbon monox detector ! just to be sure

I will look into a humidifier too , thanks all ! loving it here by the way despite the headaches Go 9 ers !!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Michael
Do you live near the airport flight path on the Santa Clara side? Sometimes people get headaches from airport noise when airplanes are taking off near them. Planes normally take off over Santa Clara but have been landing over Santa Clara for the past couple of days and should continue for another few days due to the wind direction.

If you are near the flight path and it makes a difference whether planes are landing or taking off, that may be a reason. However 95% of the time, planes take off over Santa Clara so it is going to be difficult to tell.
I do actually , planes go above us I am at the bottom of 85, I sleep like a log though so I am thinking it may be a sinus thing, thanks
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tilz
I do actually , planes go above us I am at the bottom of 85, I sleep like a log though so I am thinking it may be a sinus thing, thanks
If they are pretty high, they won't likely give you any problems. But some people (possibly depending on their hearing in the frequencies below 250 Hz which audiologists don't check and possibly other reasons) can get delayed headaches (normally low level) from the constant plane engine noises even though the sound doesn't sound too loud. I suspect that is because plane engine noise produces a high average DB sound where many other sounds such as speaking have a low average DB sound even though speech may have a higher DB.

It probably isn't your problem but just food for thought. Also you indicate they are bad headaches so it is unlikely to be caused by plane engine noise.

Last edited by Michael; Jan 21st 2012 at 10:42 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tilz
Ok so this may sound a bit strange but my wife and I moved over from England about 4 mths ago and we have found that fairly regularly (1-2 x week) we wake up with a banging headache that takes a few hours to go

I did have that but after cutting back from 12 pints a night to 6 it seems to have cleared up.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 6:30 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One more really weird option.

Do you have a level? Is your bed actually level, or is the head of your bed a bit lower than the rest of the bed (thus leading to some blood rushing to you head situations on nights you don't have a pillow or your pillow is pushed down more)? I was staying at a friend's house one and had splitting headaches until I realized their floors were not level and I was basically sleeping at an angle.

Just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.