Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weird employee loyalty practices

Weird employee loyalty practices

Old Oct 27th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Weird employee loyalty practices

I knew about all the "incentives" they gave up to the 15yr mark, but today I heard what the 20yr mark one was (this is totally true btw):

After 1yr - 1 week's vacation
2yrs - extra week vacation
5yrs - extra week's vacation and company Tie Pin
10yrs - a company Pen and usually a meal paid for by company
15 yrs - another week's vacation
20yrs - a gun! (and so the joke goes, after 25yrs you get the bullet )

Given the company's HQ is in "Hicksville", NC, I guess the gun isn't so weird after all. I believe somebody didn't want the gun once and got a set of golf clubs instead. Choose your poison

I've had the 5yr tie pin already. Can't wait for the 20yr gun Maybe I should pack it in, bypass waiting another 13yrs and go work for the USPS instead
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird employee loyalty practices

The way I feel about bustin out the work here with no time off, I'll be needing the gun and the bullet all together at 18 months served, never mind 20 years
Old Oct 27th 2006, 3:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

where the missus use to work, they were given a pin at a year, and after 2, one with an emerald, going up to whatever to get a diamond, but they were so naff that no one wore them.

I also don't think anyone but the top dogs lasted more than 5 years there as it was a shite work environment.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
The way I feel about bustin out the work here with no time off, I'll be needing the gun and the bullet all together at 18 months served, never mind 20 years
You work for the USPS then?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:00 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

What do they don't tell you is that possession of a firearm at work is a sackable offense with loss of pension/benefits/unemployment
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:54 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you term this Employee Loyalty Practices. It seems to me to be "employeR loyalty" practices. The employer rewarding the employee for their longevity.

Originally Posted by Brit3964
I knew about all the "incentives" they gave up to the 15yr mark, but today I heard what the 20yr mark one was (this is totally true btw):

Given the company's HQ is in "Hicksville", NC, I guess the gun isn't so weird after all. I believe somebody didn't want the gun once and got a set of golf clubs instead. Choose your poison

I've had the 5yr tie pin already. Can't wait for the 20yr gun Maybe I should pack it in, bypass waiting another 13yrs and go work for the USPS instead
Old Oct 27th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

lauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond reputelauriejane has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, speaking as a State of California employee, there's a lot to be said for government jobs. You get more time off than regular jobs and a lot of job security, plus many benefits and good retirement. That's why I took this job. I work in a detention facility (for criminally insane people, I work with teens, I'm a teacher) and it's very stressful, but I will be able to take early retirement and I have more time off than my friends in the private sector.

If you do work for the USPS, they definitely won't offer you a gun as an incentive. That's where the famous expression, "gone postal" was invented.

Last edited by lauriejane; Oct 27th 2006 at 9:57 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauriejane
Actually, speaking as a State of California employee, there's a lot to be said for government jobs. You get more time off than regular jobs and a lot of job security, plus many benefits and good retirement. That's why I took this job. I work in a detention facility (for criminally insane people, I work with teens, I'm a teacher) and it's very stressful, but I will be able to take early retirement and I have more time off than my friends in the private sector.

If you do work for the USPS, they definitely won't offer you a gun as an incentive. That's where the famous expression, "gone postal" was invented.
I'm joking about working for the USPS. Actually the company isn't that bad to work for even though we are trying to push for a pay rise at the moment. We haven't had a real rise since 2001 and they are making plenty of $$$.

Rete: I guess your right. I should have called it EmployeR loyalty practices. Still seems weird to me to give a gun as a gift though
Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

StephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to beholdStephC1520 is a splendid one to behold

Hey..
Why do they stop giving you another weeks vacation between 5 and 15 years?? I'd say keep the company pen at 10 years and give me some more time off!

Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
You work for the USPS then?
I wish I did! Shutters up at 7:59:59, shutters down at 4:00:59, and just bugger off for your regulatory break no matter how big the line is.

Last edited by Dan725; Oct 28th 2006 at 1:05 am.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by StephC1520
Hey..
Why do they stop giving you another weeks vacation between 5 and 15 years?? I'd say keep the company pen at 10 years and give me some more time off!
They used to give you an extra weeks' vacation at the 10yr mark but changed it to 15yrs because they have so many employees hitting the 10yr mark

Oh and we're all pilots. In the hanger at the HQ, there is a large sign that says "no guns allowed beyond this point" Makes for interesting convo out on the ramp:

Mr FAA/TSA man: All the documents are in order but what's with the shotgun?

Us: The company gave it to me for my 20th anniversary!

Good thing we only carry boxes
Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:53 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Rete: I guess your right. I should have called it EmployeR loyalty practices. Still seems weird to me to give a gun as a gift though
That is a bit of a strange gift. Unless, of course, you are in redneck country and then it would be appropriate.