British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Weird Cars (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/weird-cars-255102/)

Bob Sep 16th 2004 10:43 pm

Weird Cars

So anyone seen any weird motors over here?
Not really weird, but certainly really surprised to see an old Renault 11, pretty similar to my old first car, except it was red, and didn't have moss growing over the rear windows...

Also saw an old Peugeot estate the other day which was bit weird out here...

Ash UK/US Sep 17th 2004 4:46 am

Re: Weird Cars

I think the Hummer is the weird and ugliest thing I ever saw... who in their right mind would pay $60,000+ for one of those things.

Ash :)

sibsie Sep 17th 2004 4:59 am

I'm with you on the Hummers Ash. Hideous god ugly looking things.

I was in the Honda place yesterday with Mr Sibsie and there were all these bright orange cars that looked like Popemobiles, only with a big sticky out tent bit on the end. No idea what the hell they were called. :confused:

Duncan Roberts Sep 17th 2004 11:22 am

Saw a Triumph yesterday, racing green, nice!

tinaflorida Sep 17th 2004 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I think the Hummer is the weird and ugliest thing I ever saw... who in their right mind would pay $60,000+ for one of those things.

I hate those Humvees/Hummers too! They are nasty monstrous gas guzzlers. You need to take out a second mortgage just to fill one up.

One of my friends used to have a cute MG, in fact her parents are members of a British car club in Orlando so they often have cute old British cars parked in their driveway.

The most unusual one I've seen was a beaten up old Mini with a Union Jack on the roof... complete with right-hand drive and British numberplate!

Jan Alaska Sep 17th 2004 2:51 pm

one of my mother in laws neighbours has a MG BGT and also what I thought was a Morris 1300, although its a right hand drive and its named Austin American *shrug*. Theres quite a few real minis around (as opposed to GerMinis) We dont see many other British cars ... when summer arrives the Morgans and Triumph Spitfires come out along with all the hulking 1950's opentop Lincolns, Pontiacs and Fords etc.

RoB1833 Sep 17th 2004 3:08 pm

What is it with all the cars over here having boots? Not seen hardly any hatch-backs, the only one I can think of is the Ford Focus and that's the sport version..... Most of the cars over here look old fashioned compared to European models.

Yosser Sep 17th 2004 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by RoB1833
What is it with all the cars over here having boots? Not seen hardly any hatch-backs, the only one I can think of is the Ford Focus and that's the sport version..... Most of the cars over here look old fashioned compared to European models.

I agree, when travelling down the M3 last week, every car looked sporty, Renault, Puegeot, vauxhall, Alpha Romeo etc. American saloons are boring looking.

I also saw a yellow H2 Hummer in Bournemouth......FUEL BILL anyone :scared:

Bob Sep 17th 2004 3:34 pm

Yeah, and they suck off road too, no independant rear axle

Bob Sep 17th 2004 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
The most unusual one I've seen was a beaten up old Mini with a Union Jack on the roof... complete with right-hand drive and British numberplate!

Nice....speaking of weird, saw a couple weeks ago and old crapped out metro, right hand drive with British plates too...now that's an odd one to bring over...

Bob Sep 17th 2004 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by RoB1833

Cos they would be smaller then.... :rolleyes:

mattbutt Sep 17th 2004 4:11 pm

I saw an 80's Jag XK8 Right hand drive parked in a freight ware house in cleveland with about an inch of dust coated on the top.

The guy had apparently imported it 5 years ago, decided it would cost too much to get it to meet US specs and just left it there!

Seen a few Pugeots round here, saw a new 307 the other day which I thought was odd.

Bob Sep 17th 2004 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by mattbutt
The guy had apparently imported it 5 years ago, decided it would cost too much to get it to meet US specs and just left it there!

Seen a few Pugeots round here, saw a new 307 the other day which I thought was odd.

Shame about the jag, and now probably closing down one of the plants in blighty...oh well..
and seeing european cars is kinda weird over here, just don't expect it, other than the usual suspects of the bmw, merc vw and swedish jobbies...

DaveC Sep 17th 2004 8:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)

The reign of the Hummer H2 as king of the road may be over, I saw this today's paper. International Truck and Engine Corp.'s CXT is the biggest production pickup on the market:

It's made in Garland, TX and is a snip at $93k and 7 mpg city.

Bob Sep 17th 2004 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaveC
The reign of the Hummer H2 as king of the road may be over, I saw this today's paper. International Truck and Engine Corp.'s CXT is the biggest production pickup on the market:

Bit beyod ya average pick up then... :)