Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wegman's home delivery

Wegman's home delivery

Old Nov 19th 2017, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wegman's home delivery

Does anybody do this?

I've signed up, largely because it saves the inevitable impulse buys, but also it makes sudgeting mych easier.

However, we discovered there was an unexplained 10% service charge at checkout. We waived it but we were wondering about delivery now.

Does the delivery man expect a tip?

I'd be really grateful for some help with this because too often I'm finding added costs on purchases which I'm not sure how best to handle.

For example, I signed up to a family plan with t-mobile. They quoted me $129 for 3 lines. My husband has discovered that in fact $165 has been taken out of our account.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 7:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wegman's home delivery

I've never used an at home delivery of groceries service so not sure if the tip is included in the final cost to you at the end of your purchase or not. If that 10% was the charge for delivery, then NO, you don't tip. If not, then it was, back in the olden days of the dinosaur, customary to tip the delivery person. Just as I tip for delivery of a prepared food order from the local Chinese take out restaurant, I would tip the delivery person who lugged the groceries to my door. From my personal take on tipping delivery people, something in the range of $2.00 would be adequate for 2 to 4 bags and perhaps $4-5 if there were 5 to 8 bags.

All supermarkets at one time had home delivery. My mom used it weekly because we didn't have a vehicle and groceries for a family of four were too much and too heavy to bring home. She would either call in the order or go to the market, chose her groceries, pay for them and they would box them and then deliver them to the house. This was back in 1960/1970 and she would tip the delivery boy $1.00.

As for T-Mobile, did the quoted fee include all the surcharges and taxes? I don't believe it does. I know that Xfinity/Comcast quotes one price for your chosen plan but then the bill arrives it is increased to include all the surcharges and taxes and FCC charges.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 19th 2017 at 7:09 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2017, 11:59 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Half the fun of Wegman's is shopping in the stores. I look forward to visiting those stores when visiting my grandson and his parents.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about their delivery but if you like sushi, theirs is very good! I love our local store as it also sells alcohol (unusual for NJ).
I would say a 10% charge seems very high and a percentage charge is a poor idea as it certainly doesn't encourage additional purchasing. Although deliveries here do seem a lot more expensive then the U.K. (No surprise!)
Old Nov 20th 2017, 6:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
..... there was an unexplained 10% service charge at checkout. We waived it ....
You paid it, or the company waived it?

I can't get home without passing several groceries, and so I would never consider home delivery unless the delivery cost was a lot less than currently seems to be the case. I am not even sure if anyone delivers in our area as we are a bit off the beaten path.

Personally I restrict impulse buys by only usually shopping for groceries carrying a hand basket, thereby limiting what I buy to what I can carry.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 20th 2017 at 7:20 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2017, 7:10 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
I don't know about their delivery but if you like sushi, theirs is very good! I love our local store as it also sells alcohol (unusual for NJ).
I would say a 10% charge seems very high and a percentage charge is a poor idea as it certainly doesn't encourage additional purchasing. Although deliveries here do seem a lot more expensive then the U.K. (No surprise!)
In NY State (Wegsman home is in Rochester), they sell beer but not wine. They even have sample tasting. Son-in-law is a beer afficianado and really likes that. It's also a good place to get breakfast.