Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weekend breaks from NYC

Weekend breaks from NYC

Old Feb 19th 2018, 5:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weekend breaks from NYC

Originally Posted by Rete
As I said, this isn't Europe, ....
Correct, and that is what I was pointing out.

The OP was asking about short weekend trips, and I was contrasting the US with her possible conceptions as to what is possible in the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2018 at 5:20 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Mannheimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge! Looks like we will have plenty of options, whether by train, plane, or car - if we can pluck up the courage to drive on the other side of the road!
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mannheimer
Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge! Looks like we will have plenty of options, whether by train, plane, or car - if we can pluck up the courage to drive on the other side of the road!
Please be aware that your British (non-UK) licenses will become invalid 30 days after arriving to live in New York. There is a common mistaken belief that a British licence is valid for 12 months, but that only applies to visitors, and having an international driving permit doesn't help at all - it is only a translation of your licence, and does not extend any rights or validity to your UK Driving Licence under US law.

After you rent a home and start work in New York, New York laws apply, which means getting a license PDQ. And driving without a license that is recognized under NY/US Law may mean that your insurance is also void, which means you could be sued personally in the event of an accident.

The good news is that getting a license is ridiculously easy, and the road test, which you will be required to take, is usually no more than a quick spin around a couple of blocks - it's pretty much a joke, though not a funny one considering how poor the standard of driving is here. My test (in NY), took about 8 minutes. You also need to take five hours of mandatory "class room training", which mostly means watching rather dull videos and I think you will need to take a "written" (computer) test based on the contents of the NY drivers manual (eqiv to the highway code), which can be downloaded from the NY DMV web site.

Usually things like drink driving limits and penalties, rules for stopping near stopped school buses, and penalties for speeding are topics they like to ask - bear in mind that most people taking the test are teenagers.

As the US uses a DL as a de facto ID card I would strongly recommend getting one even if you don't plan on driving much, or at all.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 20th 2018 at 1:11 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you will need to take a "written" (computer) test based on the contents of the NY drivers manual (eqiv to the highway code), which can be downloaded from the NY DMV web site.
You are correct: new drivers need to take the written test and pass a (scarily easy) sight test to get a learner's permit.

As the US uses a DL as a de facto ID card I would strongly recommend getting one even if you don't plan on driving much, or at all.
Another thing to note re getting an NYS license or ID is that NYS is especially anal about having sight of a new applicant's Social Security Card so OP and spouse will need to have theirs before they rock up to the DMV.

There's also the issue that a bog standard NYS license or ID will not be acceptable for federal ID purposes, including passing TSA checkpoints at airports, after this October. NYS does now offer a "REAL ID" compliant license or ID for the same cost as standard so OP and spouse should seriously consider going for that option and being clear as to what documentation is required for it, in excess of the documentation required for the standard license/ID. - https://dmv.ny.gov/which-id-right-me
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Mannheimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the invaluable info about obtaining a US driving licence.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

kirstyvw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I'm on the other side of the country so can't really help except to say that train travel here is not what you are probably used to in Europe. There are no high-speed links of the type that most of Europe has had for some time. Also stations are located in very odd places. Two hours in a train from London can get you to York or Paris. Over here you will have barely got out of the suburbs of the city where you started.
True - we took Amtrak a couple of weeks ago from Penn Station in NYC to Montreal - took 11 hours! And a 45 minute flight on the way back! Lovely train ride but so long....
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstyvw
True - we took Amtrak a couple of weeks ago from Penn Station in NYC to Montreal - took 11 hours! And a 45 minute flight on the way back! Lovely train ride but so long....
Word is that in a year or two there'll be a customs and immigration facility at Montreal Gare Central for both arrivals to Canada and pre-clearance of departures to the US, so at least that will knock off the hour or more at the border to process the train.
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

jcampo is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the train up to CT and towns Guilford and check out some of the historical New England coastline
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I'm on the other side of the country so can't really help except to say that train travel here is not what you are probably used to in Europe. There are no high-speed links of the type that most of Europe has had for some time. ....
Same down here in my neck of the woods - they're busy spending hundred of millions of dollars to upgrade the lines for trains to run at 90mph .... So the same speed that trains were running in the UK more than 50 years ago!
Originally Posted by Mannheimer
Thanks for the invaluable info about obtaining a US driving licence. .....
You're welcome.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 23rd 2018 at 10:19 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
There's also the issue that a bog standard NYS license or ID will not be acceptable for federal ID purposes, including passing TSA checkpoints at airports, after this October. NYS does now offer a "REAL ID" compliant license or ID for the same cost as standard so OP and spouse should seriously consider going for that option and being clear as to what documentation is required for it, in excess of the documentation required for the standard license/ID. - https://dmv.ny.gov/which-id-right-me
REAL ID for travel comes into effect Oct 2020, according to that doc. But agree worth figuring out the document requirements and getting the REAL ID version of the drivers licence. I predict lots of confused and frustrated travelers at airports in two years time!
Old Feb 24th 2018, 1:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirstyvw
Originally Posted by rpjs
Word is that in a year or two there'll be a customs and immigration facility at Montreal Gare Central for both arrivals to Canada and pre-clearance of departures to the US, so at least that will knock off the hour or more at the border to process the train.
We drove up to Montreal once to visit with the in-laws and hubby stayed behind to drive to Nova Scotia to visit his son and I returned to New York on the train from Montreal due to work commitments. Never realized that the train was a local. While the scenery is lovely, it is a pita. I would fly to Ottawa once every five weeks and that was quick and easy from Newark.