British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Weekend away within sensible driving distance of Detroit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/weekend-away-within-sensible-driving-distance-detroit-632102/)

G77 Sep 22nd 2009 10:55 pm

Weekend away within sensible driving distance of Detroit?

Anyone have any suggestions? Before someone says Chicago, that was my plan, but the weekend I have free they have a marathon on, so no cheap hotels available.

Looking for somewhere to go, 6 hrs driving max from Detroit.

Thinking about Indianapolis, but not sure if that's worth the 5 hr drive?

Rete Sep 22nd 2009 11:43 pm

Re: Weekend away within sensible driving distance of Detroit?

Get an Atlas at the local Staples or Office Max and do a circle around Detroit and then google several areas to find one that is cheap enough to make it worth your while. If money is a problem, camp in a tent. It isn't winter yet.

Or stay the heck in Canada and explore there. Why bother come to the States for a weekend. The exchange rate sucks.

ian-mstm Sep 23rd 2009 12:15 am

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7955473)
Looking for somewhere to go, 6 hrs driving max from Detroit.

Head northwest from Detroit and go up to Traverse City... about 4 hours. If you're really adventurous, keep going north to Sault Ste Marie - about 5 hours. You won't be disappointed.

Ian

G77 Sep 23rd 2009 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7955576)
Get an Atlas at the local Staples or Office Max and do a circle around Detroit and then google several areas to find one that is cheap enough to make it worth your while. If money is a problem, camp in a tent. It isn't winter yet.

Or stay the heck in Canada and explore there. Why bother come to the States for a weekend. The exchange rate sucks.

We've visited pretty much most of the areas that are do-able in 6 hrs drive - that doesn't even get you out of Ontario. I'd love to go out west, but that's too far to drive on a weekend and flight costs are insane.

The exchange rate is 1.06x at the moment, a lot better than it was at the start of the year!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7955624)
Head northwest from Detroit and go up to Traverse City... about 4 hours. If you're really adventurous, keep going north to Sault Ste Marie - about 5 hours. You won't be disappointed.

Ian

Hmm, Traverse City - hadn't considered there, will take a look, thx.

dgsyd1 Sep 23rd 2009 4:36 am

Frankenmuth is well worth a visit, and probably only an hour or so from Detroit. Bronner's Christmas Wonderland can be quite an experience, as can the food at Zehnders. And the Cheese Haus is good if you like cheese that doesn't taste like cardboard.

G77 Sep 23rd 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by dgsyd1 (Post 7956128)
Frankenmuth is well worth a visit, and probably only an hour or so from Detroit. Bronner's Christmas Wonderland can be quite an experience, as can the food at Zehnders. And the Cheese Haus is good if you like cheese that doesn't taste like cardboard.

We'd heard about there - it's a faux German theme isn't it? Is it tastefully done?

Rete Sep 23rd 2009 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7955646)
We've visited pretty much most of the areas that are do-able in 6 hrs drive - that doesn't even get you out of Ontario. I'd love to go out west, but that's too far to drive on a weekend and flight costs are insane.

The exchange rate is 1.06x at the moment, a lot better than it was at the start of the year!

Hmm, Traverse City - hadn't considered there, will take a look, thx.

I've been through Windsor and my husband is from Ontario, although Ottawa.

G77 Sep 23rd 2009 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 7957263)
I've been through Windsor and my husband is from Ontario, although Ottawa.

I'd like to visit Ottawa - but that's a 10 hr drive at best. There's pretty much nothing in-between Windsor and the outskirts of Toronto.

lisa67 Sep 23rd 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7957253)
We'd heard about there - it's a faux German theme isn't it? Is it tastefully done?

Hmm...define tasteful;)
http://www.frankenmuth.org/

we used to go every year though on our way back from being "up north" skiing. Loved the Christmas store, but I don't know if I'd want to spend a whole weekend there!

I second the Traverse City idea...it really is beautiful up there :)

G77 Sep 23rd 2009 1:35 pm

Thinking perhaps 2 nights in Traverse City with a night in Frankenmuth on the way back....

Duncan Roberts Sep 23rd 2009 1:38 pm

Cleveland. Get a nice hotel in Playhouse square, see a great show, get some great food, take a short trip to Great Lakes Brewing Company for some good beer and a free brewery tour, hit up the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and see why Cleveland isn't as bad is they say. Jobs a good un and all well within 3 hours!

ian-mstm Sep 23rd 2009 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7957291)
There's pretty much nothing in-between Windsor and the outskirts of Toronto.

I lived in Windsor for 10 years (2x UofW alumnus)... I'd go back in a heartbeat if Sheila ever wanted to move north of the border.

Ian

G77 Sep 23rd 2009 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7958328)
I lived in Windsor for 10 years (2x UofW alumnus)... I'd go back in a heartbeat if Sheila ever wanted to move north of the border.

Really? Not something you hear very often - the locals seem to hate the place, they think I'm bordering on criminally insane for voluntarily moving here....

It's about as close as you can get to the US without actually being IN the US - if I had a clear line of sight, I would be able to see the US out of my window ;)

ian-mstm Sep 23rd 2009 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7958338)
It's about as close as you can get to the US without actually being IN the US

Except for Alaska, it's the only place in Canada where you drive north to get into the US. :)

When I was a student there, I live in Huron Hall (across the railway tracks from McDonalds at Huron Church Road by the bridge exit) but they tore it down many years ago. All of this was long before the Detroit River ran clear due to the influx of Zebra Mussels. When I was there, it was pretty dirty. I actually wrote a song about Windsor... I'll PM it to you! :)

Ian

penguinsix Sep 24th 2009 11:32 am

Have you done Chicago? Would be more interesting I think than Indy.