Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wedding in UK vs USA vs ?

Wikiposts

Wedding in UK vs USA vs ?

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:53 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wedding in UK vs USA vs ?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just curious why you're waiting so long. What if you lose your job?

Rene
I guess it's always a possiblity but it's very unlikely - the company is doing very well and I'm the only person who can do my job (hence the L1 visa).

The risk isn't great enough for us to want to rush the planning etc, especially as some of my friends from the UK will need notice to save and book flights.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:55 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

English88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Where in FL?
We live in Fort Lauderdale so I'm looking at areas from Palm Beach down to, perhaps, the Keys. If anyone has good experiences of venues then I welcome advice!
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 6:58 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Appreciate the weather concerns. We're probably looking at November and that is still in the Hurrican season so we'll have to consider that. I would have preferred January but difficult as January is traditionally the broke month for everyone post-Christmas
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English88
I guess it's always a possiblity but it's very unlikely - the company is doing very well and I'm the only person who can do my job (hence the L1 visa).

The risk isn't great enough for us to want to rush the planning etc, especially as some of my friends from the UK will need notice to save and book flights.

Maybe still consider an "official" marriage followed later by a "ceremonial" wedding later. It removes the risk of some unexpected corporate restructuring, and gets the clocks ticking for removal of conditions, citizenship etc - which may help you to do things on your timetable rather than USCIS's.

We were in the situation the other way round (my now wife was on a working visa in London). We had a registry office marriage then a Church Blessing the following year. The registry office was done as a *very* low key event - just a couple of close friends and Pizza Hut afterwards (deliberately no parents as hers couldn't fly out at short notice, and we didn't want things unbalanced by having my parents without hers). But that got us security of not being reliant on the whims of an employer, and got the timer going towards ILR.

Then the following year had the full Church wedding. Officially it was a church blessing rather than wedding, but you had to look really closely to spot the difference (eg we signed a guest book, not the certificate). Most of the guests never knew it wasn't a real wedding. We use the date of the Church service as our wedding anniversary (17 years now )
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 10:02 pm
Trash Eatin' Duck

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Maybe still consider an "official" marriage followed later by a "ceremonial" wedding later. It removes the risk of some unexpected corporate restructuring, and gets the clocks ticking for removal of conditions, citizenship etc - which may help you to do things on your timetable rather than USCIS's.

We were in the situation the other way round (my now wife was on a working visa in London). We had a registry office marriage then a Church Blessing the following year. The registry office was done as a *very* low key event - just a couple of close friends and Pizza Hut afterwards (deliberately no parents as hers couldn't fly out at short notice, and we didn't want things unbalanced by having my parents without hers). But that got us security of not being reliant on the whims of an employer, and got the timer going towards ILR.

Then the following year had the full Church wedding. Officially it was a church blessing rather than wedding, but you had to look really closely to spot the difference (eg we signed a guest book, not the certificate). Most of the guests never knew it wasn't a real wedding. We use the date of the Church service as our wedding anniversary (17 years now )

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. It's something my fiancée has mentioned before - I will discuss it with her tonight. I'm really not worried about my job but I guess it's always good to eradicate the possibility, no matter how unlikely.