Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Web Developer in Boston

Web Developer in Boston

Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:31 am
Just Joined

nikadett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Web Developer in Boston

I will be going out next month with my girlfriend who is on a J1 visa. I am an experienced PHP Web Developer.

My job in the UK don't want to lose me so have given me a 12 month career break.

Although from the UK I have an Aussie passport and qualify for the E3 visa. I am considering using it to find a job in Boston / North Boston.

Does anyone have any tips for finding potential employers? Looking on the job sites I was shocked to see how little jobs there are compared to the UK, although my experience from living in Boston before is that a lot of companies hire on recommendations and word of mouth.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 6:49 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web Developer in Boston

LinkedIn and network, network, network.

A lot of people on here have reported that they didn't have much luck until they were physically in the US so it might be worth planning a trip to pound the pavement.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikadett View Post
I will be going out next month with my girlfriend who is on a J1 visa.
Yes - but it's only for 12 months, right? You can't work as a visitor, and I doubt an employer is going to want to sponsor you for a visa - which costs them, by the way... and it takes time - when there are many folks already in the US, who already have permission to work, who don't need sponsoring, and can start work tomorrow if asked. What do you bring to the table? With respect, you're got great dreams... but it doesn't seem that there's anything really practical behind them.

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2014, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Luckily I am very experienced in my field, have contacted a recruitment company who have multiple clients interested. The E3 visa seems pretty straight forward too and isn't very costly.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:22 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
Yes - but it's only for 12 months, right? You can't work as a visitor, and I doubt an employer is going to want to sponsor you for a visa - which costs them, by the way... and it takes time - when there are many folks already in the US, who already have permission to work, who don't need sponsoring, and can start work tomorrow if asked. What do you bring to the table? With respect, you're got great dreams... but it doesn't seem that there's anything really practical behind them.

Ian

"Web Developer" is one of those jobs prime for outsourcing.
I'm indirectly involved with a web site that has a multimillion dollar annual budget. 95% of our web developers are based outside the US. Just one developer, and the project manager is in the US. Some of the work that relates to how the site integrates with out ERP is outsourced in its entirety to another (US) company - all their developers are based outside the US.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:26 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I am very experienced in my field, have contacted a recruitment company who have multiple clients interested. The E3 visa seems pretty straight forward too and isn't very costly.
I hope it works out for you. Most recruitment agencies value quantity over quality. We receive hundreds of resumes from agencies, that are nowhere near what we are looking for in a candidate. I think a lot of them don't really understand what they are 'selling', nor what an employer is looking to 'buy'...
Old Sep 21st 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

In addition.
Recruitment companies exist to fill a role for an employer.
Not to find a job for a potential employee.

It's an important distinction.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Crazy amount of negatively on this post! If I had the attitude of some of you people I wouldn't leave the house in the morning!
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Not negativity. Realism.

Generally we are well seasoned and highly experienced.
We try to give others the benefit of that experience, freely.

Sometimes it's not appreciated because it doesn't fit certain expectations or assumptions.

Have you checked Dice.com yet?

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 21st 2014 at 7:45 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:45 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Crazy amount of negatively on this post! If I had the attitude of some of you people I wouldn't leave the house in the morning!
All of the other people on this thread are already living in the USA. You are not.

If they're being negative there's probably a lot of very valid reasons for it, ones that are rooted in first hand experience and you should perhaps consider their responses a little more carefully.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 8:15 pm

Spoken like a true PHP programmer. Ignore the warnings, and only act on the errors

Code:
error_reporting(E_ERROR | E_PARSE);

Last edited by thinbrit; Sep 21st 2014 at 8:18 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I'd say Boston is one of the areas, like Silicon Valley and NYC, where there is a currently lot of demand for web developers. PHP maybe slightly less so but if OP has a range of skills, especially if it includes JavaScript, he/she might have a chance. As others have said, networking is key and OP shouldn't expect much interest until actually in the US.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Well I am speaking from experience myself, I have already worked in the US before were I was poached from the UK company I was working for. I recently turned down a job for a top company in Boston because I didn't like the people who interviewed me. So from experience I believe you are giving bad advice.

I think the initial response is correct, I will get out there and do plenty of networking and get my name out there.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you check Dice?
And Indeed.com...
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 10:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit View Post

"Web Developer" is one of those jobs prime for outsourcing.
I'm indirectly involved with a web site that has a multimillion dollar annual budget. 95% of our web developers are based outside the US. Just one developer, and the project manager is in the US. Some of the work that relates to how the site integrates with out ERP is outsourced in its entirety to another (US) company - all their developers are based outside the US.
There's a massive weather based company in Andover, Trip Advisor, Kayak etc, all are in Needham...and they do it in house. Amazon, Google, Monster all have a presence, though how much if any web dev they need is probably minimal, except Monster.

You're right about recruiters though, they're a waste of time unless you're in a position to be head hunted.

LinkedIn and network.

There are a lot of tech events in Boston, Adobe, Autodesk, IBM, Microsoft, they all have some kind of tech meet ups, usually monthly or so at various places. Then there's MassDigi, MassTLC, MassInno and also the Brit Consulate who hold regular tech networking events.

Still, it's going to be who you know and who can introduce that will be the most help.

E3 eligibility is great, but if most companies know you're here for a year only, they won't bother. Sure it's a quick and "cheap"ish option, it's still not free compared to the horde of other people who can work tomorrow without sponsorship, so you'll need niche skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.