Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Weather the storm, stay positive

Weather the storm, stay positive

Old May 4th 2017, 7:03 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather the storm, stay positive

Its totally normal, I had it too just after our reccie trip oddly enough. Its a leap of faith for sure but nothing is irreversable. You could look at it this way - how would I feel if I didnt give it a try and then in a time down the road regret it. If you try it, you will KNOW.
Good luck
Old May 4th 2017, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
It's absolutely normal to have these concerns, but try not to stress yourself out: you'll be fine! You have a child entering preschool - unless you're a super-shy person, you shouldn't find it at all difficult to strike up friendships with the other parents at the school. Suggest park play dates and take it from there!

There are also plenty of volunteer opportunities in the Bay Area so if you have a few hours to spare while your son is in preschool, offer your services in an area you're interested in and meet like-minded people that way.

If you're still heading to Dublin area, I'm just half an hour north up 680 - give me a shout
thanks for that ! I will be happy to ! see you in summer !
Old May 4th 2017, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Your panic is normal, so don't fret about thinking you are not the same as the rest of us.
Fear of the unknown and not knowing what is in store for you is common.

Where are you headed to?? It might help to give you some suggestions of how to cope with your new life.
we are moving to California. we are planning to live in Dublin . thanks for you kind word. I already feel better now .
Old May 4th 2017, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Check out meetup.com and see if there is an Expat group in the area where you live, the one in my area does get togethers a couple of times a month for various things - it's a good resource.

Is there a reason you can't look for a job, even part time? Certainly the socialization that comes with working somewhere would do you good for acclimatizing - sitting in the house will not.

It'll be ok!
thanks for your suggestion . I will definitely try the meetup.com. I can work since I m on L2 visa. I am working in a small company , Finance team at the moment in UK. it is comfortable and my boss let me finish at 230pm everyday to pick up my daughter . that is why I felt a bit down obviously it is not easy for me to find another job like this . anyway I will certainly try to do something otherwise I will go crazy !
Old May 4th 2017, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Ditto everyone else! I used to be quite shy, but soon learnt that I had to put myself out there, otherwise I would hate it. Neighbours were the first people I met and fortunately they were nice. Then I volunteered at school and soon ended up on the PTA. Volunteering is such a huge thing here, even for the kids, so now we all volunteer. I have made some great friends over the years, expats and Americans.

Dublin is only 1.5 hours from me, so give me shout when you get here and we can hopefully meet up.
Old May 7th 2017, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Gawd. New Jersey. I have to go there every couple of months. Literally a horrid place. Also, everyone has an Italian surname.
You're a real charmer.

The entire state (including, I guess, that trashy bastion of low-class Italian-American culture, Princeton) is horrid? Any way I can help you back to Great Britain so that Americans can rest assured they're at least short one smug, incurious Brit?
Old May 7th 2017, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Weather the storm, stay positive

A few weeks ago I had second thoughts about our upcoming move to the USA I was prepared to throw the towel in and carry on my life in the UK, I was very emotional and trying to put obstacles in our way. Fast forward I'm now very excited about our move even though it has been delayed a couple of weeks due to a hiccup.
I realise a lot of people would give their right arm to have the chance to move overseas, and experience a whole new way of life different culture. Keep your chin up S.Susan change is scary but it will all work out okay.
Old May 8th 2017, 1:14 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NYer
You're a real charmer.

The entire state (including, I guess, that trashy bastion of low-class Italian-American culture, Princeton) is horrid?
Yes. It is a complete pit.
Old May 8th 2017, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always reading that Americans are incurious. But you seem to inhabit the entire meaning of the word!
Old May 8th 2017, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

No it is actually very lovely there but each to their own.
Old May 8th 2017, 1:29 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ecto17
No it is actually very lovely there but each to their own.
Your standards must be that of a ghetto. Seriously.
Old May 8th 2017, 1:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Stop showing your ignorance. You are adhering to the out-dated stereotype that all of NJ resembles the corridor around the turnpike -- it does not. There are numerous beautiful and exclusive towns that anyone with taste would be proud to call home.
Old May 8th 2017, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

You are 'seriously' showing your lack of knowledge about the area.
Old May 8th 2017, 5:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Now you are making yourself look foolish. Methinks your posting style is best suited to TIO.
Old May 8th 2017, 6:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Ecto17
You are 'seriously' showing your lack of knowledge about the area.
Every part of New Jersey I have been to is awful. What more can I say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.