Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We wish you a Tacky Christmas

We wish you a Tacky Christmas

Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:34 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default We wish you a Tacky Christmas

The wife is back in American and immediatley returned to being american. She went out this morning and returned with a bunch of hanging lights and candy canes for outside. She wants to get some Reindeer that move their heads up and down.

I have a feeling my house is going to be tack fest this Christmas, if anyone sees the Griswalds tell them they have competition this year!

Patrick
Old Nov 15th 2003, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: We wish you a Tacky Christmas

Originally posted by Patrick
The wife is back in American and immediatley returned to being american. She went out this morning and returned with a bunch of hanging lights and candy canes for outside. She wants to get some Reindeer that move their heads up and down.

I have a feeling my house is going to be tack fest this Christmas, if anyone sees the Griswalds tell them they have competition this year!

Patrick

I am having Christmas on the 13th December (Saturday)..

Gonna have a big party at my house (you are all invited)

Then i leave for Florida on Dec 16th for 5 weeks (doing xmas at Disney for my son - maybe the last time i go there), holidaying, looking around at the important things & opening a bank account (thanks for the advice on that one by the way)

Dylan
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sick of Christmas already!. Its a constant battle in this house to stop my step daughter putting up the decorations. We've had the outside light candy canes since september!. but fortunately, they have stayed in the box. We cleared out our walk in closet last weekend and I swear half of it was full with decorations, which now sit in the living room waiting for the day after thanks giving.

The one thing we have put up so far, is white lights that go around the patio and look like icicles(sp). The only reason I like em up, is so I can see the BBQ grill better at night. I think those are an all year thing from now on
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:15 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Patrick
This is my first Christmas in the US and I am aghast at the tacky tripe that is on sale in the shops, what's even more amazing is that people here spend so much on them.

I have to say that at Christmas I spend most of our money on presents and food, then decorations come at the bottom of the list.

BTW my hubby wants to have a 'religion free' Christmas this year, is it possible to avoid it in NC I wonder?

Emm.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

joonmoon is an unknown quantity at this point

And a very merry christmas to you to
Old Nov 15th 2003, 9:51 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Emm
This is my first Christmas in the US and I am aghast at the tacky tripe that is on sale in the shops, what's even more amazing is that people here spend so much on them.

I have to say that at Christmas I spend most of our money on presents and food, then decorations come at the bottom of the list.

BTW my hubby wants to have a 'religion free' Christmas this year, is it possible to avoid it in NC I wonder?

Emm.
Firstly - how can you take religion out of Christmas when the whole reason for Christmas is a celebration of Christs birth! OK it may have been hijacked by corporate greed and been turned into an averice fest by shop keepers, but Christmas without religion is like sex without an orgasm! or Yosser without a chip on shoulder, whats the point!

Religion free Christmas is NC - I would like to see it happen! Seeing as there is supposed to be no connection between church and state the town Christmas lights look a lot like a nativity scene!

Patrick
Old Nov 15th 2003, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

On the 25th of December I'm taking a flight back to Europe - to get some vacation from the US. It's amazing what you can get for deals if you fly on Christmas Day. I love not being Christian - I can ignore this whole thing with all my heart. Of course there was Hanukkah a couple of days before that the yanks turned into a commercial shopping orgie as well - so I guess we are even.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 10:42 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly - how can you take religion out of Christmas when the whole reason for Christmas is a celebration of Christs birth! OK it may have been hijacked by corporate greed and been turned into an averice fest by shop keepers, but Christmas without religion is like sex without an orgasm! or Yosser without a chip on shoulder, whats the point!

Religion free Christmas is NC - I would like to see it happen! Seeing as there is supposed to be no connection between church and state the town Christmas lights look a lot like a nativity scene!

Patrick
Actually I think that you will find that the Christians hijacked Christmas from the pagan midwinter celebrations. Since the birth of Christ was not actually on December 25th (sometime in January I think) and surprise, surprise the Winter solstice is on December 21st, a mere 4 days before. A little shuffling and hey presto, we are now celebrating the birth of Christ rather than midwinter.

Of course Santa Claus is a thinly disguised St. Nicholas, but can the same be said of the British Father Christmas? He who is supposed to live in the North pole with Elves and magical reindeer, hardly goes hand in hand with religion now does it? In fact many religions argue that we should even have Santa/ Father Christmas since it does not represent the nativity in any respect.

So why do we have these opposing traditions associated with Christmas? Maybe it is because we actually celebrate two separate events that have somehow become combined over the centuries.

As an atheist, I concentrate on the Father Christmas aspect for my kids and enjoy a jolly good feed and p**s-up for me and the hubby. With my birthday 4 days after Christmas and New Year 2 days later, it is a jolly good excuse for a week of celebrating that lasts me for a whole year.

Of course, it is impossible for the kids to avoid the nativity completely since they always do it in school but I teach them that it is a story, just like any other.

So I completely disagree with your statement that 'Christmas without religion is like sex without an orgasm'.

It will be interesting to see though just how much religion is jammed into Christmas in Raleigh. I wonder just how OTT they can really get?

Emm.
Old Nov 15th 2003, 11:01 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm really looking forward to Christmas in the US next year.

Over here they celebrate the Feast of Kings and Father Christmas and all the nativity people are black. It's on the 6th Jan so nothing much happens before then. It's really non commericalised here. No Christmas music, no lights, no packed shops. Nada.

Sounds great I know, but next year I want a full on Christmas Crackers Fest. Of course ask me the year after that and I'll probably want it the Spanish way again.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

dylan&helen is an unknown quantity at this point

For the last blankety blank years i have had a cash and carry selling booze.

I Import booze.
shopkeepers buy my booze
their customers go crazy and buy shit loads in the festive season

= me loving Christmas
:PARTY:
Old Nov 16th 2003, 1:49 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Yea bloody christians, who do they think they are taking over Christmas !!!

Next thing you know they will be wanting to bring religion into Easter ...

Mind you here in the South we are not allowed to call it Christmas, might upset the pc Kawanza lot. We have to say "Happy Holidays" and smile whilst we are at it..

Sod them I say, after struggling for 4 years with all this pc crap I am going to stick to my guns and wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh jeez ... that time already..last year I got a tree at the wife insistence.. a pleasant 3 footer.... but my neighbor said it was too small and bought us the 14 footer....
Attached Thumbnails We wish you a Tacky Christmas-jtreesit.jpg  
Old Nov 17th 2003, 12:38 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Emm
Actually I think that you will find that the Christians hijacked Christmas from the pagan midwinter celebrations. Since the birth of Christ was not actually on December 25th (sometime in January I think) and surprise, surprise the Winter solstice is on December 21st, a mere 4 days before. A little shuffling and hey presto, we are now celebrating the birth of Christ rather than midwinter.

Of course Santa Claus is a thinly disguised St. Nicholas, but can the same be said of the British Father Christmas? He who is supposed to live in the North pole with Elves and magical reindeer, hardly goes hand in hand with religion now does it? In fact many religions argue that we should even have Santa/ Father Christmas since it does not represent the nativity in any respect.

So why do we have these opposing traditions associated with Christmas? Maybe it is because we actually celebrate two separate events that have somehow become combined over the centuries.

As an atheist, I concentrate on the Father Christmas aspect for my kids and enjoy a jolly good feed and p**s-up for me and the hubby. With my birthday 4 days after Christmas and New Year 2 days later, it is a jolly good excuse for a week of celebrating that lasts me for a whole year.

Of course, it is impossible for the kids to avoid the nativity completely since they always do it in school but I teach them that it is a story, just like any other.

So I completely disagree with your statement that 'Christmas without religion is like sex without an orgasm'.

It will be interesting to see though just how much religion is jammed into Christmas in Raleigh. I wonder just how OTT they can really get?

Emm.
For gods sake santa's colour scheme is due to Coca Cola pre 20th century in a lot of european pictures he is in green.

America pretty much tackyfies everything so why should christmas be any different.

regards,

Duncan
Old Nov 17th 2003, 1:01 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
For gods sake santa's colour scheme is due to Coca Cola pre 20th century in a lot of european pictures he is in green.

America pretty much tackyfies everything so why should christmas be any different.

regards,

Duncan
The Santa - Coca Cola Myth is explained
here
Old Nov 17th 2003, 2:16 am
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

I intend to open my pressies, eat alot, get pis*ed and watch xmas telly....I wonder if they show The Wizard of Oz over here at Xmas like they do back home?....or a xmas Carol.?....aah xmas with all its tackiness, I love it
Poppy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.