British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   We Want You, We Want You, We Want YOU (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/we-want-you-we-want-you-we-want-you-334211/)

Englishmum Oct 28th 2005 8:56 pm

We Want You, We Want You, We Want YOU

.....as a new recruit.

(That song "In The Navy" by the Village People keeps repeating in my head...).

It seems that every week since my son went back to school in September for his 'Junior' year (he is 17 tomorrow), he is receiving mail from the US military.

He's had a cryptic postcard from the US Airforce (although I had to search very hard to see how it was related to them...the only mention of USAF was in tiny writing in the 'return to sender' section on the address page...it invites him to check out the website:

http://www.whatamigonnadonext.com

He's also received at least two letters from the US Navy. One of them has a 'free' 30 minute phonecard attached to it.....if he phones up the 1-800 number on it and answers a few questions, the phonecard will be activated.

I've just retrieved today's post and now there is a letter from the Marines. On the envelope is a photo of a duffel bag with the Marines logo and the writing underneath states: 'Carry on a Proud Tradition. Get Your Free Marine Corps Duffel Bag Today'.

(I wonder how one 'qualifies' for this free bag.....?).

When my son arrives home later I wouldn't be surprised if he throws it straight into the bin...

Any day now I guess he will get a letter from the US Army. Apparently because of this 'No Child Left Behind' Act, public High Schools must notify the military of the names and addresses of all students in the later High School years. You can write into the school to object to this....oddly enough we never received a communication from our local HS informing us though... :rolleyes:

Ray Oct 28th 2005 9:10 pm

Re: We Want You, We Want You, We Want YOU

He should get his letter fom Walmart this week as well...
They need young staff

Bob Oct 28th 2005 9:11 pm

That's pretty funny...kind of makes you wonder how much the military is spending and giving away on "free" toys to try and entice people for warmer, dusty climes :D

Elvira Oct 28th 2005 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
.....as a new recruit.

You are not alone!

I have three sons aged 17+ and we get these missives with depressing regularity... :mad:

Rushman Oct 28th 2005 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
He should get his letter fom Walmart this week as well...
They need young staff

Probably train them better too.

clydegirl Oct 28th 2005 10:21 pm

My daughter got the one from the air force.Very strange looking card.Had to really examine it to figure out who it was from.

AdobePinon Oct 29th 2005 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum
... receiving mail from the US military... He's had a cryptic postcard from the US Airforce... at least two letters from the US Navy. One of them has a 'free' 30 minute phonecard attached to it.....if he phones up the 1-800 number on it and answers a few questions, ... 'Carry on a Proud Tradition. Get Your Free Marine Corps Duffel Bag Today'.

Sure you're not getting them mixed up with my credit card company?

Chorlton Oct 29th 2005 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Bob
That's pretty funny...kind of makes you wonder how much the military is spending and giving away on "free" toys to try and entice people for warmer, dusty climes :D

Have you seen the free online game called "America's Army"? Know who paid for it all and throws LAN parties for kids?

joto Oct 29th 2005 11:57 am

Our son does get phone calls wanting him to join the Marines. I picked up the phone when he was out and told the recruiter that son was just not interested (he isn't) and to delete our name from their calling list. They haven't called since. No postcards so far.

jjmb Oct 29th 2005 3:39 pm

Its not just son's who receive the mail and phonecalls, its girls as well. My daughter is still a sophomore (just turned 16) and has been getting them since the beginning of the year.

jaytee Oct 29th 2005 4:53 pm

all males aged 18-25 must register with the selective service

citizen or not

Rushman Oct 29th 2005 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by jaytee

citizen or not

My 13 yr old is set on the military, he now wants to go back and enlist in the Royal Marines!!!!!

Bob Oct 29th 2005 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Have you seen the free online game called "America's Army"? Know who paid for it all and throws LAN parties for kids?

ain't played it, but I did apply for a job at the developers...about 2 years development work, say even with a small team, that's a couple mill in knocking the game out....gotta love what they spend your taxes on :D

Bob Oct 29th 2005 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by jjmb
Its not just son's who receive the mail and phonecalls, its girls as well. My daughter is still a sophomore (just turned 16) and has been getting them since the beginning of the year.

Aye...my missus kept getting calls from the army and shite throughout uni, even got an invite to the NSA, but that was just before she headed to blighty and they weren't interested since *l*

Bob Oct 29th 2005 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by jaytee

citizen or not

only if there a permanent resident...or illegal...student type visa people and non-permanent resident visa holders, presuming E2's and H1's don't.