Reload this Page >

We want to move to the USA

Wikiposts

We want to move to the USA

Old Oct 30th 2003, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

postie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We want to move to the USA

Many thanks to Brigie darling for her help today but I'd love more feedback if anyone's out there!
We really want to get t the USA to live and work and any advice would be valuable.
For example can my wifes uncle employ and sponsor me? (see previous message)
Thanks all
Old Oct 30th 2003, 11:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We want to move to the USA

Originally posted by postie
...... We really want to get t the USA to live and work and any advice would be valuable. .....
Thanks all
There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you - and no, your wife's uncle is NOT close enough) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training.
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

It is not easy to get even a recruitment agent to take you seriously if you are not already in the US, but if you are getting a visa under (ii) above then you need a job offer before you can get the visa. It's a chicken and egg situation.

If you want to come to live in the US then, as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list above.

I hope this helps.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 12:51 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to Brigie darling for her help today but I'd love more feedback if anyone's out there!
We really want to get t the USA to live and work and any advice would be valuable.
For example can my wifes uncle employ and sponsor me? (see previous message)
Thanks all
Your Aunt and Uncle will be of no use as a family immigration way..it only goes down to brother and sisrer..
Old Oct 31st 2003, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

postie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ray6
Your Aunt and Uncle will be of no use as a family immigration way..it only goes down to brother and sisrer..
Thanks ray6. Can my wifes uncle sponsor my family with my wifes father? I think I've heard of people having more than one sponsor?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ray6. Can my wifes uncle sponsor my family with my wifes father? I think I've heard of people having more than one sponsor?
If your wife's father is American your wife doesn't need a "sponsor", and unless you, as a couple, have insufficent assets or income to get a visa for you, neither do you, as her husband.

If you don't have sufficient assets or income then you will need a "sponsor", but that can be any (US Citizen) Tom, Dick, or Harry who you can persuade to take some responsibilty (on the INS paperwork) for your living expenses.