Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are we really in the 21st Century?

Are we really in the 21st Century?

Old May 3rd 2005, 11:34 am
ImHere

Default Re: Are we really in the 21st Century?

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
I was (pleasantly) surprised to find some topless sunbathing on South Beach in Miami a couple of weeks ago, so it's not all bad here.

But they are Cuban/Venezualan/Brazilian/etc and not Americans.

Old May 3rd 2005, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ImHere
who's complaining?!
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Now we know what you do on your weekends
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The minimum wage can incorporate tips too so the employer in fact will pay less than minimum wage because anticipated tips make up the shortfall. I believe this is the case...

NC Penguin
a lot of my comments are tongue in cheek,some things suck,we all have the right to moan,but im obviously going there for other reasons than what i list,please sign karma,thx
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
a lot of my comments are tongue in cheek,some things suck,we all have the right to moan,but im obviously going there for other reasons than what i list,please sign karma,thx
You're not even in the US yet so you're not qualified to moan!

NC Penguin
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
For me, on a daily basis, the only things that seem backward (or technically inferior) are the cars, the banking system (I can't believe people still use cheques), the cellular phone system and the cable tv system.

I'd like to know where you got the figures for internet domain and computer ownership from?

-tom
I used cheques in the UK, so did a lot of other people. The thing I find backward here in banking is bills being paid through direct debit. We had most of our bills paid that way in the UK and it was very nice not to have to worry about paying them. Come here and I have to mentally (I'm just not that organised! ) remember when to pay them.
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I used cheques in the UK, so did a lot of other people. The thing I find backward here in banking is bills being paid through direct debit. We had most of our bills paid that way in the UK and it was very nice not to have to worry about paying them. Come here and I have to mentally (I'm just not that organised! ) remember when to pay them.
I think you can arrange to have bills paid direct via a credit card - but with most of them you'd get charged a monthly 'convenience fee'.

Just another way of the free-market economy working against the consumer.

I was amazed about the lack of protection consumers get here. You buy a TV and they give you a guarantee of only 3 months - I mean WTF?!
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:56 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Banks over charge way too much here. Maybe it's to pay for all those convenient drive-thru windows that we Europeans don't have.
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Banks over charge way too much here. Maybe it's to pay for all those convenient drive-thru windows that we Europeans don't have.
I know, it's such a pain having to get out of one's car and walk 10 feet, isn't it?
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:59 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
The State of Florida (which appears on a complete Right to Life crusade) has since the death of Terry Schiavo is now trying to stop a girl from having an abortion whom got pregnant whilst she was a ward of the State.

The girl is 13

the State wants her to have the baby.

That's why this country is in the dark ages.
Plus, we have preachers like Dr Jerry Vines of the First coast Baptist Church who said
“They would have us believe that Islam is just as good as Christianity. Christianity was founded by the virgin-born Son of God, Jesus Christ. Islam was founded by Muhammad, a demon-possessed pedophile who had 12 wives, the last one of which was a 9-year-old girl. I will tell you Allah is not Jehovah either. Jehovah’s not going to turn you into a terrorist that will try to bomb people and take the lives of thousands and thousands of people.”
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:00 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I know, it's such a pain having to get out of one's car and walk 10 feet, isn't it?
Simply irritating
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:08 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Simply irritating
My foot hurts.
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
My foot hurts.
Serves you right for kicking an American!

NC Penguin
Old May 3rd 2005, 8:26 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You can always leave and come back later. By then, things may have become more Daily Mail like, if that's your thing.

NC Penguin
Somewhere in the middle, please.