Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are we really in the 21st Century?

Are we really in the 21st Century?

Old May 2nd 2005, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are we really in the 21st Century?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's rubbish, even if 10 years was an exageration.
i dont understand why americans are still obliged to tip when they've had a minimum wage for years.surely the minimum wage was to stop exploitation of workers
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
It is interesting to note that the US public will watch TV and movies featuring gay people who have come out or feature gay characters. e.g. Will and Grace, Ellen Degeneres, The Simpsons (I believe).

NC Penguin
and of course Sponge Bob.
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
i dont understand why americans are still obliged to tip when they've had a minimum wage for years.surely the minimum wage was to stop exploitation of workers
Does the minimum wage exclude occupations where tipping is expected, e.g. waitressing?
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Does the minimum wage exclude occupations where tipping is expected, e.g. waitressing?
if thats the case,then there isnt a minimum wage,is there????????????,i hate tipping,and i hate going to the till with the right money,only to find they add the poxy tax ,waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chukka
if thats the case,then there isnt a minimum wage,is there????????????,i hate tipping,and i hate going to the till with the right money,only to find they add the poxy tax ,waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I don't mind tipping as long as I've had good food and service, it's when everything is shite and they still expect it that I have a problem.
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't mind tipping as long as I've had good food and service, it's when everything is shite and they still expect it that I have a problem.
my fiancee ordered a pizza the other night,it dint turn up so she called the company,they apologised and knocked $3 off it,they sent it round after a while,the delivery guy moaned when she mentioned this,he had to call his base,sorted that out,she gave him 50 cent tip,the remainder of the note,he whinged like a baby,went in to eat the pizza and it was the wrong one,had to call the company again,great service,not
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The minimum wage can incorporate tips too so the employer in fact will pay less than minimum wage because anticipated tips make up the shortfall. I believe this is the case...

NC Penguin
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=NC Penguin]The minimum wage can incorporate tips too so the employer in fact will pay less than minimum wage because anticipated tips make up the shortfall. I believe this is the case...

stupid idea
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit&milk
I'm confused. How is US behind Europe technically? Is it the cell/mobile phone thing again, or our lack of high speed rail? (Keep in mind rail is a 19th century technology.)

I go to Europe and am amazed at how old-fashioned the houses seem, as well as a lot of their systems of basic commerce and transactions in stores and shopping centers.
rail is to the best of my knowledge by far the most efficient mass-transit transport mechanism. comparing the metro systems of chicago and NYC to london is pretty funny

you obviously haven't been to the UK recently, I can't see how you think transactions in stores are backward? many restaurants have wireless credit cards machines that you punch a number in at your table - something which I have not seem in the USA at all

banking here is circa 1997, TV quality is crap (NTSC), lets not even talk about mobile phones

Houses may appear old-fashioned, buts that because they've been around a few years

its the difference between brick and cinderblock walls with plaster with a clay tile roof and houses made with a wood frame, sheetrock, plastic siding slapped on with asphalt shingle roof
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
rail is to the best of my knowledge by far the most efficient mass-transit transport mechanism. comparing the metro systems of chicago and NYC to london is pretty funny

you obviously haven't been to the UK recently, I can't see how you think transactions in stores are backward? many restaurants have wireless credit cards machines that you punch a number in at your table - something which I have not seem in the USA at all

banking here is circa 1997, TV quality is crap (NTSC), lets not even talk about mobile phones

Houses may appear old-fashioned, buts that because they've been around a few years

its the difference between brick and cinderblock walls with plaster with a clay tile roof and houses made with a wood frame, sheetrock, plastic siding slapped on with asphalt shingle roof
on the note of houses,the UK has so much history and tradition and diversity in the styles types and design,in the US they all basically look alike,where ive been anyway
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=chukka]
Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The minimum wage can incorporate tips too so the employer in fact will pay less than minimum wage because anticipated tips make up the shortfall. I believe this is the case...

stupid idea
Here's the extract from the horse's mouth:

Employers may pay employees on a piece‑rate basis, as long as they receive at least the equivalent of the required minimum hourly wage rate. Employers of tipped employees (i.e., those who customarily and regularly receive more than $30 a month in tips) may consider such tips as part of their wages, but employers must pay a direct wage of at least $2.13 per hour if they claim a tip credit. They must also meet certain other conditions.

NC Penguin
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:32 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

Originally Posted by welykuk
Its sad and scary isn't it. we are watching a church sign near us that recently put up a new monthly saying of "We celebrate diversity not perversity" someone keeps removing the "not perversity" bit and then the following day its back again. Its so pathetic and that thing about PBS broadcasting "Buster meets.."
<off_topic>We had a farm sign saying 'Fresh Asparagus' amongst other things. Someone changed it to "Free Ass'. </off_topic>
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by adeshell
<off_topic>We had a farm sign saying 'Fresh Asparagus' amongst other things. Someone changed it to "Free Ass'. </off_topic>
send it to leslie,she has an arse fetish
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:41 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapefruit&milk
I'm confused. How is US behind Europe technically?
The main technical area that I can immediately think of in which the US really does lead the world is in military technology. But I'm not saying that's a good thing:

(a) all that power and technology in the hands of fundamentalist ideologue wingnuts is very scary indeed, and (b) if they diverted even a fraction of the cash they spend on stealth bombers and lunatic missile defence projects etc into other areas than maybe the population as a whole would see a lot more benefit from technological advances and enjoy a higher standard of living overall.
Old May 2nd 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Two years ago we had a huge power failure here, which I think originated in Canada. The whole area affected must have been bigger than the UK but I don't ever remember anything like that happening in Europe. The houses across the street lost their power but we managed to escape it probably by 50 yards or so and we're in Central NJ. Plus I can't believe the electricity is still supplied on overhead cables and not underground.

Also the light switches here remind me of my Grandma's house in the 60's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.