Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"We only hire US citizens"

"We only hire US citizens"

Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future
Default "We only hire US citizens"

Anybody ever hear "We only hire US citizens" when looking for a job? Apparently it's illegal but no one seems to know any better!
Old Apr 21st 2004, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

It is and it isn't. There are some jobs, such as defense industry (Lockheed Martin....), government (CIA, NASA... etc etc, that require you to be a citizen for the higher up jobs. Same thing as GCHQ in England. However, this can't just be be a company policy.
I think there might be something about being a citizen to practice law and foreign owned companies requiring a certain number of US citizens working there, but I'm not really sure.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Re: "We only hire US citizens"

Originally posted by Steff
Anybody ever hear "We only hire US citizens" when looking for a job? Apparently it's illegal but no one seems to know any better!
Strictly citizens? Not even GC holders?
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Originally posted by whatever
Strictly citizens? Not even GC holders?
Yes, my husband has a green card
Old Apr 21st 2004, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

This policy is not applied to any fast food place in Manassas though !
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:03 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Steff
Perhaps taking along a tape recorder and asking the HR director to repeat what he said into the micriphone might elicit a different response. Or take a copy of the statute along the next time.

It is definately illegal:
http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-nator.html

http://www.aflcio.org/yourjobeconomy...immigrants.cfm

Hope you make out, good luck
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:14 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncan Roberts
It is and it isn't. There are some jobs, such as defense industry (Lockheed Martin....), government (CIA, NASA... etc etc, that require you to be a citizen for the higher up jobs. Same thing as GCHQ in England. However, this can't just be be a company policy.
I think there might be something about being a citizen to practice law and foreign owned companies requiring a certain number of US citizens working there, but I'm not really sure.
Also, if companies are government contractors, and work in defense and related industries, it's probably a requirement that they be American citizens, purely for security reasons.

It's not meant to be discriminatory because as Duncan points out, the UK exercises similar rules.

To OP- Please describe the kind of job and employer that your spouse was applying for and to.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

It is illegal...to state it..but can be an unwritten (and unsaid) discrimmination- in the same way its illegal to ask a woman with children what provision she has made for if the children get sick etc My daughter in law was asked that once at an interview- she didn't do anything about it because the reason they told her she didn't get the job was because she didn't have enough experience- she should have reported it really. But all that happens then is that particular employer would probably not ask the question again and just not hire any woman with children.

I heard a college professor say in class that he only ever employed men with families to support when he was the Chair for the English Dept. When I asked "what about women who are single parents"- I got the answer- "they usually have alimony" Thankfully, he was back teaching classes at this time and not in a position to hire people anymore.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:36 pm
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see a lot of job postings say that they only consider USC's and Green Card holders.... I think this is mainly so they don't have to sponsor visas (H1-Bs and the like).

Also see a lot for USC's only, but these are mostly in defence-related businesses, and then you need security clearance anyway, and i would think being a citizen of a country is one the prerequisites of getting security clearance.

Didn't know it was illegal to discriminate in this way... i might have to have a word with certain large no-frills airline based in Dallas that turned me down a couple years back because i didn't have a green card, even though i was applying for one and had a work permit......
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pilgrim22
i might have to have a word with certain large no-frills airline based in Dallas that turned me down a couple years back because i didn't have a green card, even though i was applying for one and had a work permit......
Having an EAD is not the same as having permanent resident status.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 5:52 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I saw this anti-immigrant article online. They seem to think that we go to the head of the line when it comes to getting employment

May The Best Man Win

The fact is that the current Affirmative Action plan is helping immigrants more than it is helping the American people. For instance, millions of immigrants and foreign visitors are eligible for, and many are actually using, Affirmative Action benefits to grab a head start of US born minorities because they do not have enough US minorities to fill the positions. In effect, many of today’s immigrants are coming to this country and moving right to the head of the line.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
in the same way its illegal to ask a woman with children what provision she has made for if the children get sick etc

I don't believe that is illegal- in fact it would seem to me a very germaine question to ask- whether it be a man or woman with kids. I have certainly asked the same question...if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 6:59 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
I don't believe that is illegal- in fact it would seem to me a very germaine question to ask- whether it be a man or woman with kids. I have certainly asked the same question...if I am wrong I am sure someone will correct me.
To put it simply, any questions addressed to would be employees are to be strictly limited to those related to the job.

Based on that, asking anyone with children about their childcare arrangements is inappropriate and illegal unless the job being applied for is related to childcare.

If questioning goes beyond the scope of the job, I would ask the questioner how their question relates to the job.
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:05 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 makes discrimination on the basis of national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, disabilities, arrest record, military discharges, or personal information (such as height and weight) illegal. Any question that asks a candidate to reveal information about his or her national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, disabilities, arrest record, military discharges, or personal information is a violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

There are many illegal interview questions. There are also many ways to re-phrase the question so that it is legal. For example:

Illegal: To advertize for only candidates from Mexico
Legal: The ability to speak fluent Spanish (if it is a requirement of the job)

Here is some interesting reading
Website
Old Apr 21st 2004, 7:46 pm
Maño-Americano

Originally posted by NC Penguin
To put it simply, any questions addressed to would be employees are to be strictly limited to those related to the job.

Based on that, asking anyone with children about their childcare arrangements is inappropriate and illegal unless the job being applied for is related to childcare.

If questioning goes beyond the scope of the job, I would ask the questioner how their question relates to the job.
Do you have dependable transportation?
How far from work do you live?
What arrangements do you have to get to work if your car breaks down?
What arrangements (for wife/husband, kids...)do you have if forced to work overtime?

All pertain to the ability a potential employee has to meet the requirements of the job-specifically being there at the scheduled hours of work. They all seem appropiate to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.