Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

Old May 16th 2012, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

eddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really nice
Default Re: We are nearly there...at the beggining! I-130

Great stuff! But I can then get statements from family or friends?
Old May 16th 2012, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by eddfsf
Great stuff! But I can then get statements from family or friends?
Yes, but they must attest not to your relationship in general but to the fact they have witnessed you MARRIED. Or at least that's what my husband and I were told.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

eddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really niceeddfsf is just really nice

Originally Posted by optomisticgirl
Yes, but they must attest not to your relationship in general but to the fact they have witnessed you MARRIED. Or at least that's what my husband and I were told.
Oh, and here is the JOP in Houston saying I did not need witnesses - well we were taking people along so that is not a problem - but good to know!
Old May 16th 2012, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice

Oh, and here is the JOP in Houston saying I did not need witnesses - well we were taking people along so that is not a problem - but good to know!
Not witnesses to the WEDDING but witnesses to continued married life. Again, that is our speculation and could be because we've been apart for 7 months since we were married.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Oh, I see what you mean... wow 7 months, that is tough - but we have been making this work for the pas 3 years. If we can get through this final challenge then we are set for life!
Old May 16th 2012, 11:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have just read the section relating to documentation required for the G-325a and in particular the affidavits.
Affidavits are not required. However, if you choose to use them, they can be from anyone who can attest to your life as a married couple (= in social circumstances, you present yourself to others as a married couple).

Ian
Old May 16th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Affidavits are not required. However, if you choose to use them, they can be from anyone who can attest to your life as a married couple (= in social circumstances, you present yourself to others as a married couple).

Ian
Ian, are you sure? http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf on page 3 says you have to supply one of the following documents...

I cannot offer any of the others as we do not share accounts, or own a house together - so wouldn't this be my only option?
Old May 16th 2012, 11:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

We asked an identical question.

See this thread

:http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756998
Old May 16th 2012, 11:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, are you sure?
Yes.

... on page 3 says you have to supply one of the following documents...
No, it doesn't. It says you "should" (= not must), and the word "or" appears at the end of each section. So, if you want to include affidavits you can, but they are still not required even if you have no other evidence.

By the way, it's quite common for newlyweds to not have any evidence of an ongoing marital relationship when filing the I-130.

Ian
Old May 16th 2012, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes.

No, it doesn't. It says you "should" (= not must), and the word "or" appears at the end of each section. So, if you want to include affidavits you can, but they are still not required even if you have no other evidence.

By the way, it's quite common for newlyweds to not have any evidence of an ongoing marital relationship when filing the I-130.

Ian
Thank-you Ian, understanding these terms is no easy task!
Old May 16th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
We asked an identical question.

See this thread

:http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756998
Will be reading through this tonight!
Old May 16th 2012, 2:05 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Note that "one of the following documents" is "Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union."

Most married couples' lives involve more than just joint bank accounts or owning a house together. But, if your married life is utterly devoid of mutual activity, then yes affidavits seem to be your only option. But in such a situation what is there that an affiant can attest to that you cannot document yourself?

Regards, JEff

Ian, are you sure? http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-130instr.pdf on page 3 says you have to supply one of the following documents...

I cannot offer any of the others as we do not share accounts, or own a house together - so wouldn't this be my only option?
Old May 16th 2012, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Note that "one of the following documents" is "Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union."

Most married couples' lives involve more than just joint bank accounts or owning a house together. But, if your married life is utterly devoid of mutual activity, then yes affidavits seem to be your only option. But in such a situation what is there that an affiant can attest to that you cannot document yourself?

Regards, JEff
Maybe I am looking into this too deeply Jeff? Of course I have proof of our relationship across the past 3 years, and once we are married we will be filing our I-130 shortly thereafter so there is no way to prove existence of "ongoing" marriage as it has only just happened.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I am looking into this too deeply Jeff? Of course I have proof of our relationship across the past 3 years, and once we are married we will be filing our I-130 shortly thereafter so there is no way to prove existence of "ongoing" marriage as it has only just happened.
You don't have to file the I-130 the day you get married (in fact in some cases it takes up to a week or so to get the certified copy of the marriage certificate, anyway).

So you wait a week or two after getting married, so that you CAN collect a bit of evidence of your new joint life together. Open a joint bank account, put your name on her bank account, get your name added to the lease or whatever, get your name added to her health insurance, get your name added as beneficiary on any assets she has, each do a will and show the other as beneficiary, get your name added to her utility bills, joint Costco together, join a gym together, the list goes on and on. After a couple of weeks, you should have some paper proof that you have a joint life together, then you can file the I-130. And yes, you can do ALL those things without a SSN.

If you don't want to do any of the above, then during the week or two after the wedding, spend time with family and friends as a married couple, and then have them write the affidavits, where they can state specific things you all did together.

Rene
Old May 16th 2012, 2:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are, yes. I understand your situation, and USCIS will as well. I also filed my I-130 promptly after marriage, it's a common situation.

Note that your closing comment applies to affidavits by others as well as to yourself.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.