British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   We have landed in the good ol' USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/we-have-landed-good-ol-usa-725923/)

Michkin Jul 22nd 2011 1:20 pm

We have landed in the good ol' USA

Hi,

So after 1 year, 1 month and 19 days since our EB5 application was submitted we are finally here!

Our flight left Gatwick 2 hours late on Tuesday 19 July. We arrived in Charlotte, NC at 3:30pm.

We then made our way to the passport control where we stood for an hour - exactly- our daughters were not so happy!

Our turn came up and we handed over our big envelopes to a not so happy immigration officer. He took our finger prints, we smiled for the camera and he gave us a number. We were told to collect our luggage and wait in the waiting room until we were called.
So off we went to get our luggage and headed to the waiting room, where we waited, and waited. Again daughters were now really not happy! :(

1 hour and 15 minutes later we were called to a counter. The officer could not find the EB5 visa on her system. Apparently the system had not been updated yet! She said it was just a clerical error and nothing for us to worry about.....phew!

We gave more finger prints, signed a form for our Green Cards and were then welcomed to America!

What a long day it was!

Orangepants Jul 22nd 2011 1:27 pm

Re: We have landed in the good ol' USA

Congratulations. Charlotte can be awful sometimes with all those Caribbean flights coming in - are you staying in the Carolina area?

John_K. Jul 22nd 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Michkin (Post 9511725)
Hi,

So after 1 year, 1 month and 19 days since our EB5 application was submitted we are finally here!

Our flight left Gatwick 2 hours late on Tuesday 19 July. We arrived in Charlotte, NC at 3:30pm.

We then made our way to the passport control where we stood for an hour - exactly- our daughters were not so happy!

Our turn came up and we handed over our big envelopes to a not so happy immigration officer. He took our finger prints, we smiled for the camera and he gave us a number. We were told to collect our luggage and wait in the waiting room until we were called.
So off we went to get our luggage and headed to the waiting room, where we waited, and waited. Again daughters were now really not happy! :(

1 hour and 15 minutes later we were called to a counter. The officer could not find the EB5 visa on her system. Apparently the system had not been updated yet! She said it was just a clerical error and nothing for us to worry about.....phew!

We gave more finger prints, signed a form for our Green Cards and were then welcomed to America!

What a long day it was!

Congratulations and welcome to the US!

1chumly Jul 22nd 2011 4:24 pm

We lived just north of Charlotte for 10 years. Immigration in Charlotte is not fun. They always made me feel guilty even though I had nothing to feel guilty about!

Good luck to you.

Sue Jul 22nd 2011 6:25 pm

Hi,

What a long day it was!

Welcome to the Queen City!!! :D

Just to add you've arrived right in the middle of a heat wave .... so try and stay cool.

britishspouse Jul 22nd 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by 1chumly (Post 9512229)
We lived just north of Charlotte for 10 years. Immigration in Charlotte is not fun. They always made me feel guilty even though I had nothing to feel guilty about!

Good luck to you.

yeah i DETEST charlotte airport, had an awful experience there, they reduced me to tears. I have vowed never to go through there again :(

OIG Jul 22nd 2011 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by britishspouse (Post 9512524)
yeah i DETEST charlotte airport, had an awful experience there, they reduced me to tears. I have vowed never to go through there again :(

Flew into Charlotte many times, the first couple of times they were unpleasant. Was held by immigration second time I flew, they told me they were going to send me back, looked at me for what seemed like forever then stamped my passport with a "have a nice day and enjoy your stay." Last time I flew here to stay for good I flew into Atlanta and that was straight forward.

sime303 Jul 22nd 2011 8:31 pm

Hi,

What a long day it was!

Congratulations, now put your pyjamas on and get down to Walmart.

OIG Jul 22nd 2011 8:39 pm

Hi,

What a long day it was!

Welcome to the South. It's hot, It's humid, It's summer! Glad that you made it through your ordeal.

Orangepants Jul 22nd 2011 9:32 pm

But Charlotte airport itself is sooo nice though... rocking chairs looking out over the runways, free internet, really well planned, good duty free, good selection of shops and doesn't smell of greasy pizza! Immigration is way better than Miami for volume as well. 2hours is not unusual to wait there - done it too many times!

Mummy in the foothills Jul 22nd 2011 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 9512614)
Congratulations, now put your pyjamas on and get down to Walmart.

:rofl:

Congrats on arriving safely

sime303 Jul 22nd 2011 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9512735)
:rofl:

Congrats on arriving safely

It's my standard greeting :D

Hiro11 Jul 23rd 2011 12:49 am

Why are British people convinced that Americans call it the "Good 'ol USA"?

Ash UK/US Jul 23rd 2011 6:59 am

Welcome aboard!

Sheepdip Jul 23rd 2011 11:32 am

Welcome to the wonderful Carolinas!

My sister just arrived from the UK for a visit on Thursday and had the almost identical delay as you. And then customs took the gravy granules she was bringing us! :(

Personally, I like flying through Charlotte. My next trip is through Atlanta which I'm dreading - a dull a dreary airport.