Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We have landed in the good ol' USA

We have landed in the good ol' USA

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Michkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really niceMichkin is just really nice
Default We have landed in the good ol' USA

Hi,

So after 1 year, 1 month and 19 days since our EB5 application was submitted we are finally here!

Our flight left Gatwick 2 hours late on Tuesday 19 July. We arrived in Charlotte, NC at 3:30pm.

We then made our way to the passport control where we stood for an hour - exactly- our daughters were not so happy!

Our turn came up and we handed over our big envelopes to a not so happy immigration officer. He took our finger prints, we smiled for the camera and he gave us a number. We were told to collect our luggage and wait in the waiting room until we were called.
So off we went to get our luggage and headed to the waiting room, where we waited, and waited. Again daughters were now really not happy!

1 hour and 15 minutes later we were called to a counter. The officer could not find the EB5 visa on her system. Apparently the system had not been updated yet! She said it was just a clerical error and nothing for us to worry about.....phew!

We gave more finger prints, signed a form for our Green Cards and were then welcomed to America!

What a long day it was!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have landed in the good ol' USA

Congratulations. Charlotte can be awful sometimes with all those Caribbean flights coming in - are you staying in the Carolina area?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

John_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_K. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michkin
Hi,

So after 1 year, 1 month and 19 days since our EB5 application was submitted we are finally here!

Our flight left Gatwick 2 hours late on Tuesday 19 July. We arrived in Charlotte, NC at 3:30pm.

We then made our way to the passport control where we stood for an hour - exactly- our daughters were not so happy!

Our turn came up and we handed over our big envelopes to a not so happy immigration officer. He took our finger prints, we smiled for the camera and he gave us a number. We were told to collect our luggage and wait in the waiting room until we were called.
So off we went to get our luggage and headed to the waiting room, where we waited, and waited. Again daughters were now really not happy!

1 hour and 15 minutes later we were called to a counter. The officer could not find the EB5 visa on her system. Apparently the system had not been updated yet! She said it was just a clerical error and nothing for us to worry about.....phew!

We gave more finger prints, signed a form for our Green Cards and were then welcomed to America!

What a long day it was!
Congratulations and welcome to the US!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

We lived just north of Charlotte for 10 years. Immigration in Charlotte is not fun. They always made me feel guilty even though I had nothing to feel guilty about!

Good luck to you.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

What a long day it was!
Welcome to the Queen City!!!

Just to add you've arrived right in the middle of a heat wave .... so try and stay cool.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 1chumly
We lived just north of Charlotte for 10 years. Immigration in Charlotte is not fun. They always made me feel guilty even though I had nothing to feel guilty about!

Good luck to you.
yeah i DETEST charlotte airport, had an awful experience there, they reduced me to tears. I have vowed never to go through there again
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:29 pm
OIG
Just Joined

OIG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britishspouse
yeah i DETEST charlotte airport, had an awful experience there, they reduced me to tears. I have vowed never to go through there again
Flew into Charlotte many times, the first couple of times they were unpleasant. Was held by immigration second time I flew, they told me they were going to send me back, looked at me for what seemed like forever then stamped my passport with a "have a nice day and enjoy your stay." Last time I flew here to stay for good I flew into Atlanta and that was straight forward.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:31 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

What a long day it was!
Congratulations, now put your pyjamas on and get down to Walmart.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:39 pm
OIG
Just Joined

OIG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

What a long day it was!
Welcome to the South. It's hot, It's humid, It's summer! Glad that you made it through your ordeal.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

But Charlotte airport itself is sooo nice though... rocking chairs looking out over the runways, free internet, really well planned, good duty free, good selection of shops and doesn't smell of greasy pizza! Immigration is way better than Miami for volume as well. 2hours is not unusual to wait there - done it too many times!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:32 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
Congratulations, now put your pyjamas on and get down to Walmart.

Congrats on arriving safely
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:27 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

Congrats on arriving safely
It's my standard greeting
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 12:49 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: We have landed in the good ol' USA

Why are British people convinced that Americans call it the "Good 'ol USA"?
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard!
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 11:32 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the wonderful Carolinas!

My sister just arrived from the UK for a visit on Thursday and had the almost identical delay as you. And then customs took the gravy granules she was bringing us!

Personally, I like flying through Charlotte. My next trip is through Atlanta which I'm dreading - a dull a dreary airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.