Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

We have arrivedin the USA!

We have arrivedin the USA!

Old Oct 7th 2003, 2:35 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default We have arrivedin the USA!

Cant stay long as its mad geting organised right now but just to annouce that at last i am actually a British Expat for real. My wife and I arrived on sunday and after lengthy and odd security in Atlanta(they checked us after we arrived from London and took my wifes nail clipper she had just a carried from London!) we got through Immigration and i am now officially a permanent resident in the USA.

All we need now are jobs and careers and we are all set but hey its a land of opportunity right(Patrick?).

speak to you all later,

best wishes,

Duncan & Lacey
Old Oct 7th 2003, 2:53 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have arrivedin the USA!

Originally posted by Duncs
Cant stay long as its mad geting organised right now but just to annouce that at last i am actually a British Expat for real. My wife and I arrived on sunday and after lengthy and odd security in Atlanta(they checked us after we arrived from London and took my wifes nail clipper she had just a carried from London!) we got through Immigration and i am now officially a permanent resident in the USA.

All we need now are jobs and careers and we are all set but hey its a land of opportunity right(Patrick?).

speak to you all later,

best wishes,

Duncan & Lacey
Congratulations on successfully navigating through the whole immigration process!.
Welcome to America!
Good luck and best wishes with the job search.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 2:54 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Welcome to America

Good news that you and Lacey are finally here. They took my nail scissor while in transit in Japan.
Ranjini

speak to you all later,

best wishes,

Duncan & Lacey
Old Oct 7th 2003, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

Congratulations. As an American. I welcome people who come to this country the legal way. Lord knows we got enough illegals who abuse our laws.

-= nav =-
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

smiler125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Duncs

Did you get a visa without both of you having jobs in the USA?
What sort of visa did you get?

Thanks
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:44 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by smiler125
Hi Duncs

Did you get a visa without both of you having jobs in the USA?
What sort of visa did you get?

Thanks
My wife is a US Citizen so i am on a CR1 immediate relative perm residents visa.

regards,

Duncan
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

speak to you all later,

best wishes,

Duncan & Lacey
Welcome to the United States of America.

Atlanta International is crazy I'm sorry to say. They have cops outside slapping tickets onto moving vehicles who are waiting illegally instead of driving around. For the passengers, they get their luggage then have to get in a long que to give it back again then get on a train and go all the way across all the concourses to the last stop to march over to another carousel to regain their luggage. Also, there is not much explanation offered by any of the nearby personnel who are mainly concerned with blocking exits and the security process. The whole process takes about 45 minutes while your ride waits outside going round and round. This is such a change from how we were treated at Gatwick Airport where they actually have people offering help and everything seems organized.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...... All we need now are jobs and careers and we are all set but hey its a land of opportunity right(Patrick?).

speak to you all later,

best wishes,

Duncan & Lacey
Congratulations and welcome ab(r)oard.

Good luck with finding work and settling in, you'll love it here!

Pulaski
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Hi Duncs

I think I am the same position. My wife is American and I have appied throught the London embassy using a I-130.
I have my interview later this month. Do you think it's the same visa as you, that I am applying for?

I know we have to prove intent to reside permanetly in the USA, but thought it is best that one of us has a job before we leave. We do have a joint sponsor. Did that not mind that both of you didn't have jobs? Or were they not bothered?

What documents did you use to proof intent to reside permanently in the USA?

Your help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough

Whoa you moved to Mississippi? You're in for a big culture shock my good man. Heck, most Americans that would move to Mississippi from someplace else in America would be in for a culture shock, let alone an expat from across the Atlantic.

I don't mean to worry you, but Mississippi is as much a culture shock to most Americans as it would be to most Brits, so don't think things won't be very "different."
Old Oct 8th 2003, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! :PARTY:

Good luck with the job search!

Elaine
Old Oct 9th 2003, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

glencoragh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smiler125
Hi Duncs

I think I am the same position. My wife is American and I have appied throught the London embassy using a I-130.
I have my interview later this month. Do you think it's the same visa as you, that I am applying for?

I know we have to prove intent to reside permanetly in the USA, but thought it is best that one of us has a job before we leave. We do have a joint sponsor. Did that not mind that both of you didn't have jobs? Or were they not bothered?

What documents did you use to proof intent to reside permanently in the USA?

Your help would be appreciated

Thanks
Sounds like the same process to me. It wasnt to bad once you get all your documents organised, police cert, etc. Look at the marriage visa forum for help, it helped me no end.

You dont have to prove intent if your wife is a US citizen as its is assumed you intend to live perm or why would you want an immigrant visa. You dont need a job for the visa but you will have to show financial support. I was co-sponsored by my father in law who has a good income and could prove that he could easily afford to support me above the poverty line. My wife has also given a legal commitment to support me as well but as she had no job or income we needed a co sponsor. This is all under the I-864 part of the process and i suggest you look it up as it can get complicated. we decided to move as we both didnt have jobs in the UK and we are living now with the parents in law so we dont have to worry about rent etc for while, other wise it would be tough to just come with no job unless you have plenty of money saved up.

my advice is research it all thoroughly and get all the documents well organised, if you get all you paperwork and medical stuff done in advance they process goes smoothly enough. best of luck anyhow,

regards,

Duncan
Old Oct 9th 2003, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Duncan.

We seem to have something in common. My wife and I will be moving to Mississippi in December from the UK to live with her parents. We only plan to live there temporarily until we find jobs--hopefully outside of the Bible belt.

Depending on where you live in MS, it might be nice to catch up for a pint. We will be living in the Northeastern part.

Keep us posted on how the transition goes.

Andy
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advise.

I was only concerned as in the visa information it says you must prove intention.
Obviously it's not a big deal at the London embassy.
What is the dress code for the interview?

I will be staying with relatives too. We will only have to pay any additional bills. So no rent either.

What did you do for medical insurance and with who?

Thanks again
Old Oct 12th 2003, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Britfrombristol
Congratulations Duncan.

We seem to have something in common. My wife and I will be moving to Mississippi in December from the UK to live with her parents. We only plan to live there temporarily until we find jobs--hopefully outside of the Bible belt.

Depending on where you live in MS, it might be nice to catch up for a pint. We will be living in the Northeastern part.

Keep us posted on how the transition goes.

Andy
Hi

I'm from Bristol too. What area of Bristol do you reside?

How far are you along in getting your Visa?

We plan to live in Texas fron January 2004.
My interview is at the end of October.

Cheers

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.