Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are we being ripped off for car insurance?

Are we being ripped off for car insurance?

Old Nov 29th 2012, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Dean11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are we being ripped off for car insurance?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. We've been living in North Carolina for the last 18 months. I've read various posts on this forum about how expensive car insurance is when you first move to the US, and we've been through that pain ourselves since we've lived here.

The cheapest quote we could find when first moved here was with Nationwide, Geico, State Farm, Progressive were all way more expensive, even the Nationwide quote was expensive at $1800 for 6 months, but better than some companies who quoted us over $4000!

After 18 months our insurance has only dropped to $1500 for 6 months. I know we still have limited credit and driving history, but I was expecting to pay less than that based on some of the posts I've read on this forum.

We own a 2011 GMC Acadia and 2009 Nissan Murano with the following coverage:
Bodily Injury Liability: $100,000 / $300,000
Property: $50,000
Uninsured property: $50,000
Uninsured motorist: $100,000 / $300,000
Deductible: $500

It sounds like we need to start phoning around for quotes again and maybe increase the deductible.

Any other insurance companies worth considering apart from the ones I mentioned earlier, or other tips for lowering the costs?

Thanks,
Dean
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we being ripped off for car insurance?

Since you have limited credit history, don't give them your social.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:51 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuxedocat
Since you have limited credit history, don't give them your social.
If you don't give them your social, you are assumed to be at a higher risk. I used to not give my social, and my premiums went sky-high and most companies refused to consider me. There are not good options, but there are options, and the price given by the OP seems not abusive to me.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

Hi

After 2 years, I still get outrageous quotes from companies like Geico for car insurance, $2000, $3000 for 6 months insurance etc. What I found was going to a local insurance agent, and actually explaining to them I had a UK license for x years and with a no claims discounts and showing them the old no claims certificate, and they then managed to get much more reasonable quotes of ~$1200 for 12 months. So my advice would be talk to a local insurance agent, and see what they can offer.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Well, you've got fairly new cars, that tends to bump up the premium somewhat, especially if there is a loan involved.

How long have you had your US drivers licenses? That plays a role, too, so if you don't have more than 18 months driving history that's not going to help either.

The only chances I can see to lower the premium are:
  • Bump up the deductible
  • Shop around - see if you can find a local agent who's not tied to a single insurance company
  • Make sure that you have renters or homeowners insurance with the same company that insures your cars. Multiple different policies with the same company usually result in a premium discount on the car insurance
  • Find out if they give discounts for additional driver training, it's rare but some do
  • As studentgwant explained, some insurance companies will take your UK driving experience into account, after some prompting.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.

We own the GMC outright and have a loan on the Nissan. We've had our US driving licenses for 18 months.

We've been using a local insurance broker since we've lived here who has been very helpful and knowledgeable, they negotiated a cheaper rate with Nationwide when we first moved to the US after we provided a copy of our UK driving licenses and no claims discount letter from our UK insurer.

I think our local insurance broker is tied to a single insurance company though. I will explore getting car insurance with our house insurance, we've got different companies currently.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dean11
Thanks for the advice.
I think our local insurance broker is tied to a single insurance company though. I will explore getting car insurance with our house insurance, we've got different companies currently.
That should net you a 5%-10% discount on your car insurance right there.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

We have just renewed ours (from Nov 25th) and despite one years US no claims etc it's gone up!!!! The husband rang around for lots of quotes but still the nearest we could get was $300 more than the current company (21st Century).

It is now $1074.48 for two cars (2011 Ford Escape (on lease) and a 2012 Honda Pilot (on finance)). The coverage is:

Bodily Injury: $250,000/$500,000
Property Damage: $100,000
Uninsured motorist: $250,000/$500,000

We have had our US licenses less than 12 months.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

That is exactly what happened to us, every 6 months the renewal quote has been reducing by about $100-150, our latest renewal quote however has increased by $35. A small amount I know, but I was surprised the downward trend did not continue.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

That is exactly what happened to us, every 6 months the renewal quote has been reducing by about $100-150, our latest renewal quote however has increased by $35. A small amount I know, but I was surprised the downward trend did not continue.
Ours had reduced when we renewed the first time but this time it's gone up by about $300 Not even a small amount
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. We've been living in North Carolina for the last 18 months. I've read various posts on this forum about how expensive car insurance is when you first move to the US, and we've been through that pain ourselves since we've lived here.

The cheapest quote we could find when first moved here was with Nationwide, Geico, State Farm, Progressive were all way more expensive, even the Nationwide quote was expensive at $1800 for 6 months, but better than some companies who quoted us over $4000!

After 18 months our insurance has only dropped to $1500 for 6 months. I know we still have limited credit and driving history, but I was expecting to pay less than that based on some of the posts I've read on this forum.

We own a 2011 GMC Acadia and 2009 Nissan Murano with the following coverage:
Bodily Injury Liability: $100,000 / $300,000
Property: $50,000
Uninsured property: $50,000
Uninsured motorist: $100,000 / $300,000

It sounds like we need to start phoning around for quotes again and maybe increase the deductible.

Any other insurance companies worth considering apart from the ones I mentioned earlier, or other tips for lowering the costs?

Thanks,
Dean
I use Geico who were by far and away the cheapest. Fortunately, I held a US driving licence over 30 years ago which counted in my favor. My wife did not when we first got insured and we paid about $400 for the first six months. She then passed her test and we renewed: the premium went up over $150!!! She got penalized for having held a US licence for less than 18 months (even though I could provide proof of no claims - they get you one way or another)! Oh well: whomever said it was cheap living here is an idiot: it's not.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I've had my licence just over a year and with Liberty Mutual we pay $87 a month for an F150 and an SUV - with good coverage. We do bundle our home and boat insurance too so that might make a difference.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:14 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an idiot too. I got married in September and I did not tell my insurance company. My premiums should go down a LOT. As I've been saying a lot lately... UGH.

Folks, don't be me and forget to do this!

EDIT: I just called my car insurance company and my premiums went down a LITTLE for being married (only about 100 dollars a year on full coverage). The agent said it depended what state you live in whether it makes much difference between single and married.

Also per Rene's great advice I DID add my husband to the insurance as a non-driver and it did not affect the premiums a penny one way or the other. Now I have one more piece of evidence for the "bona fides" file. (THANKS Rene for mentioning it!)

Last edited by Speedwell; Nov 29th 2012 at 5:02 pm. Reason: More info.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How old are you?

Regards, JEff

Old Nov 29th 2012, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

I'm 43 and my wife is 40

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.