British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Are we able to vote in the UK election? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/we-able-vote-uk-election-288160/)

Chandler Mar 5th 2005 9:28 pm

Are we able to vote in the UK election?

Are we, as Resident of the US but UK Nationals, able to vote in the soon to be announced UK General Election?

dunroving Mar 5th 2005 9:55 pm

Re: Are we able to vote in the UK election?

Originally Posted by Chandler
Are we, as Resident of the US but UK Nationals, able to vote in the soon to be announced UK General Election?

Yes. There was a thread on this less than two months ago, should be able to find it.

I believe you have to apply to your old voting district for a proxy or postal vote.

Bob Mar 5th 2005 9:57 pm

Yes, but it takes a while to sort out, so do it soon. You'll have to vote via your old registration area, and probably through a proxy voter because you have 10 days to get your vote in from the day they send it out, so that's cutting it a bit close.

Bob Mar 5th 2005 9:59 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...47#post2014147

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...7&page=1&pp=15

That's two threads I found on it...

Chandler Mar 5th 2005 10:21 pm

Thanks everyone, the above seems to be a very conclusive answer. :D

CaliforniaBride Mar 8th 2005 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Chandler

Interested to know why would you want to? I considered it but then figured that it wouldn't be appropriate for me to have a say in an election, the outcome of which wouldn't drectly affect me. Just mho.

neil Mar 8th 2005 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, but it takes a while to sort out, so do it soon. You'll have to vote via your old registration area, and probably through a proxy voter because you have 10 days to get your vote in from the day they send it out, so that's cutting it a bit close.

I spoke to my old authority (London Borough of Hillingdon) last week and they told me the deadline for May elections was this Friday, so it may be too late - it's probably worth talking to them. They should get mine in time. Maybe they accept faxed forms - worth asking.

ImHere Mar 8th 2005 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Interested to know why would you want to? I considered it but then figured that it wouldn't be appropriate for me to have a say in an election, the outcome of which wouldn't drectly affect me. Just mho.

But it will affect you. Even as an expat. What about taxation issues, pension issues and health issues. They often affect expats. As long as you remain a British Citizen then decisions by the British Goverment will affect you.

snorkmaiden Mar 8th 2005 1:27 pm

We got our forms a while ago but I forgot all about them. I e-mailed my last local council a few days ago and they said we could fax them a copy first and then post the hard copy.

The deadline is Friday though. She also e-mailed me a pdf copy of the forms to print off just in case.

Sue Mar 8th 2005 2:01 pm

Also see the Electoral Commission's News Release in this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283675

Sue

Rushman Mar 8th 2005 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by ImHere
But it will affect you. Even as an expat. What about taxation issues, pension issues and health issues. They often affect expats. As long as you remain a British Citizen then decisions by the British Goverment will affect you.

"Taxation issues, pension issues and health issues"?
That's easy you're screwed, you're screwed and you're screwed. Have any of those issues ever got significantly better for Joe Public under any government?
Don't remember the origins of this quote but "It doesn't matter who you vote for....the government always win".
Having said that, I would love the chance to vote that grinning imbecile and Cruella DeVille out of #10, the downside being that slippery Howard would get in.
I know that the right to vote is an extremely important right, I personally just choose to waive it in favour of not being dissapointed when the promises don't materialise.

Duncan Roberts Mar 8th 2005 4:19 pm

If you have student loans, whoever is in power could have a big influence on repayment. International policy ultimately governs which countries you can visit freely and which countries you have UK protection in. The UK economy potentially influences other countries economies so you could feel it here. Plus, if you have any family in the UK, you should be thinking about then too. I think everyone who can should vote, even if you think you will end up disapointed you have still made your voice heard, if you don't vote you have no right to complain about anything the government does.

Bob Mar 8th 2005 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by neil
I spoke to my old authority (London Borough of Hillingdon) last week and they told me the deadline for May elections was this Friday, so it may be too late - it's probably worth talking to them. They should get mine in time. Maybe they accept faxed forms - worth asking.

Aye, I was told that I could fax the stuff in, as long as the hard copy was sent in and recieved promtly, whatever that means...but anyway, I went witha proxy vote, getting my mother to do it for me, much easier and quicker...