Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A way to permanent residence in USA for people who are told there are no way.

A way to permanent residence in USA for people who are told there are no way.

Old Sep 23rd 2020, 6:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A way to permanent residence in USA for people who are told there are no wa

Originally Posted by tht
in CT I pay more than that every month and have to pay $10 a week to have my trash collected and taken to the transfer station (else I would have to take my own there, and still need a $20 a year sticker to access it).

You're lucky! There is no trash pick up in my CT town (other than hiring a private haulier, of course) and the car sticker for DIY transfer station visits is $95 per annum!
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A way to permanent residence in USA for people who are told there are no wa

Originally Posted by tht
Oh wow you were right “down the hill from me” I was up the hill from Southfields station in slightly bigger detached house by Wimbledon common. We could hear the crowd on center court from the garden...
I was slightly further out than you, in SW20, about 2 miles from the AETC. I was just up from Raynes Park station, on Lambton Rd, when I was a student, about a quarter mile from James Hunt, and then later I bought "on the other side of the tracks" in the Apostles just before the price of property in the area exploded.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
Even then you can’t compare apples to apples.. in CT and I believe most if not all of the US public school funding comes from local tax’s, you have to look at all taxes combined, saying you have low property tax is pointless if you have high sales tax or income tax etc.

that said they may be some corner cases e.g. if you retire and don’t need good schools and have minimal income where you can actually live somewhere virtually tax free and subsidized by others. Even the services provided for by the local tax authorities vary, in NYC I paid $400 a year in property tax thanks to a 25 year 421a and had my garbage collected, out in CT I pay more than that every month and have to pay $10 a week to have my trash collected and taken to the transfer station (else I would have to take my own there, and still need a $20 a year sticker to access it).
The whole point of buying a home is that you are mortgage free at some stage in life. If you end up paying the huge amounts people are paying right now, it's like a 2nd mortgage. Many people also don't have kids, so worthless to them if schools are funded. At least with higher taxes on alcohol and products, you have a choice and don't have to drink alcohol for example. Unfortunately pensioner poverty is becoming a huge problem in most countries.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 7:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
..... Unfortunately pensioner poverty is becoming a huge problem in most countries.
On some level I think there is a deliberate plan across the industrialized world to make owning "family homes" in cities expensive, thereby forcing pensioners into smaller homes or flats, leaving the "family homes" availble for families where there is little or no room to build more housing.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 8:26 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You're lucky! There is no trash pick up in my CT town (other than hiring a private haulier, of course) and the car sticker for DIY transfer station visits is $95 per annum!
it is a private hauler here .. there are 5 different competing companies.... they give you 2 big wheelie bins (1 for recycle) and come on Monday AM. Wow $95, I was annoyed at $20 for the sticker... and they charge you $6 a load, unless you only have recycling, but it also includes the beach parking.... at my lake house (also in CT) the transfer station sticker is free... and no fees for regular trash.. but they charge you $40 for access to the town beach... the lake house is in a less commutable community with worse schools and is the retirement home plan for right now if we stay in CT, personally (aside from money) I don’t know why everyone does not head to Maui when they retire...

Last edited by tht; Sep 23rd 2020 at 8:29 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2020, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

cautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond reputecautiousjon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
... personally (aside from money) I don’t know why everyone does not head to Maui when they retire...
Aside from money (which is perhaps one of the most significant reasons), I'm sure that proximity to good healthcare and family / friend support are two of the next biggest reasons.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 24th 2020 at 10:37 pm. Reason: Cocked up quote
Old Sep 24th 2020, 10:05 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

well if everyone went you friends would also be there.... I like it for the easy access back to NZ, but Europe would then be a double hop. SF would be ideal as it has non stops to Asia, NZ, UK, EU and East coast... but similarly expensive to the East coast.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 24th 2020 at 10:39 pm. Reason: Cocked up quote
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Rossyy is an unknown quantity at this point

Which employment agency did you use?
Old Dec 10th 2020, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

SYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Do you not think that this situation is allowed to exist precisely because the administration has demonised immigrant workers from Mexico southwards and is instead trying to encourage nice white Europeans to do the crappy jobs that Americans don't want?
No, most people who apply on eb3 unskilled are from asia or south america.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

SYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But then there are the costs of being a homeowner that nobody in the UK would ever consider - such as the perpetual cycle of replacing roofs, and heating/ AC systems, and the fact that "things" always seem to need repair or replacement in American homes. As I have posted from time to time, my US home isn't just a home, it's a hobby too! It might sound like a joke, but anyone who has owned a home in the US knows that the joke very quickly wears thin.
furnace and a/c last about 15 to 20 years, same for a gas boiler or ac as anywhere else. Asphalt roof about 20-25 years cost an average of 6k Id say, I prefer that compared to replace a slate or clay tile roof maybe it last 50 to 150 years but when you have to bite the bullet it hurts.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lysagrey93
E2 is a cool option I agree. I had friends who moved with that visa
No it's a terrible visa, but when you have no other option and want to live your american dream I get why people do it, I tried myself.
Old Dec 10th 2020, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Similar to the post a few months ago about a new graduate who had been in the US on an F-1 who took a job as a "consultant" with a consultancy/ employer that paid his visa fees, but placed him to work for a client. The client paid the consultancy a reasonable hourly rate for his services, but the consultancy firm paid the new graduate/ employee a pittance to claw back the visa fees, and presumably a generous profit. As the employee didn't "pay" the visa fees, the end-employer did through the hourly billing, the law was technically not broken, even though the employee was paid far below market for his services.

It's surprising what someone would do to put themselves in a situation where they are "surcharged" $00's/mth for heath insurance that other countries hide in their progressive taxation rates, and if they fall ill or are injured, they are at permanent risk of being billed for non-covered medical expenses (deductibles) that could bankrupt them. I am not sure on what level you are considering what you have achieved to be a "success:
You're being rude right now. Calling me and my spouse stupid to come here and go broke ? We had a dream, we took risk, we were persistent and we succeed.

Last edited by SYCU; Dec 10th 2020 at 6:04 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2020, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Am no expert but there are loopholes and tricks in every system and this is one of them. People could say being born in the US and a citizen, anchor babies etc is a loophole but it exists.
Old Dec 14th 2020, 11:58 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Are anchor babies even a thing ( in reality I mean as opposed to rhetoric spout by anti immigrationists)
it’s my understanding that someone has to be at least 18 ( 21?) to petition for a parent
Old Dec 14th 2020, 12:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
it’s my understanding that someone has to be at least 18 ( 21?) to petition for a parent
You are correct. 21.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.