Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IS WAY OF LIFE IN FLORIDA BETTER THAN UK?

IS WAY OF LIFE IN FLORIDA BETTER THAN UK?

Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

bonnie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IS WAY OF LIFE IN FLORIDA BETTER THAN UK?

Is life greener in Florida? Im sure this question is constantly repeated but me and my husband and 4 year old son would like to swap our life for one in Florida. We now have the finances to buy a house and a small buisness and are looking for input good and bad on brits who have made the move.We have details on and someone to act on our behalf to get E2 visa, but a few of my worries are; How much good health care will cost for our family? what happens when my son reaches 21? I have heard that the schools are good 16 in a class with there own computers is this true? Would life really be laid back and more enjoyable for us? We have been to Florida for the past 14 years but only on vacation.Please help, replys good or bad. thanks.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:23 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS WAY OF LIFE IN FLORIDA BETTER THAN UK?

It can be.

With an E2, you can only stay as long as your business is thriving.
You'll be tied to that business. So no, it won't be laid back for you.

Watch out for the oil too.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think the schools are that great from what I've seen on here.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bonnie1
Is life greener in Florida? Im sure this question is constantly repeated but me and my husband and 4 year old son would like to swap our life for one in Florida. We now have the finances to buy a house and a small buisness and are looking for input good and bad on brits who have made the move.We have details on and someone to act on our behalf to get E2 visa, but a few of my worries are; How much good health care will cost for our family? what happens when my son reaches 21? I have heard that the schools are good 16 in a class with there own computers is this true? Would life really be laid back and more enjoyable for us? We have been to Florida for the past 14 years but only on vacation.Please help, replys good or bad. thanks.
Things to consider, you'll have no credit history over here, so on top of buying a business, a house, car and the rest of the set up, you'll need far more cash than you expect.

Renewing your visa is a lot tougher, just read the immigration forums for news about how tough it is, such as that couple up in Maine who couldn't renew, so had to sell up and move back to the UK.

Good health insurance, depends on age, medical history, if you get it through work, which for a business is quite an expense but lowers your personal expense and with a few kids, as it ultimately is out of your own pocket, anything from $1-2K or more won't be out of the question, just depends on how much you want to gamble for cover.

Your son, at 21, either gets a student visa and goes to university here, or he moves back to the UK. Unless you get greencards before he ages out, but you probably won't.

As for schools, depends where in the state, right down to the town and county. Generally, 16 per class is probably someone having a laugh. They're generally pretty poor in Florida for the most part.

Will life be more laid back? Potentially, but it depends if you like living with massive bugs, hot and humid climate and how engrossed you are in your work, being self employed, you'll probably spend more time keeping your business from collapse, especially in Florida. But then again, depends on what the business is.

Why Florida though? Different locations will have different answers. Moving to Florida on a E2 is probably one of the worst ideas, but whatever floats your boat.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
anything from $1-2K or more won't be out of the question, just depends on how much you want to gamble for cover.
Just to add, that's per month, not per year.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Just to add, that's per month, not per year.
Yep. Self employed here and I pay just over $1200 a month for myself and my wife. Admittedly that's in OR, not FL, but I'm sure it's not that different. Also, if you need prescription drugs for anything, it can get sodding expensive. One of prescriptions my wife has costs over $260 a month after the insurance has paid their share.
And just to add to the overall joy of it all, I've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 8:59 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome
I think there is a thread somewhere about 'the dream act' this is a bill thats been trying to get pushed through for some time. Whether it will or not, remains to be seen.
But basically its trying to deal with some of the problems that E2 holders face like, not being able to apply for green cards and kids 'aging out' which means when your son/daughter turns 21, they either have to have a visa of their own and that means qualify for a visa or return to their home country.
Plus I think with the E2, you face renewals every 3-5 years for the whole time that you are living in the states.
So whilst the Sunshine and attitude of florida is very laid back, living your life in uncertainty isnt
if your goal is to move over on a permanent basis, then the E2 is not the way to go
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
And just to add to the overall joy of it all, I've just been diagnosed as diabetic.
Not the end of the world and potentially it can be managed very cheaply. Hopefully it doesn't screw with your insurance though. But remember, just because you have been diagnosed with diabetes doesn't always mean you are diabetic regarding health insurance, if you look at the laws there are some potentially massive loopholes!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Would life really be laid back and more enjoyable for us? We have been to Florida for the past 14 years but only on vacation.Please help, replys good or bad. thanks.
Absolutely not. As you say, you have seen FL from a holidaymakers point of view. Americans work longer hours with less vacation then people in the UK. You may think that, as you will own your business, you can make your own hours. That is not the case, because in order to succeed you will have to tailor your hours to fit in with the local norm, plus you will also have the ever-present necessity to renew your visa hanging over your head -- where if it is deemed that your business is not successful enough you will be going home.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

We have been to Florida for the past 14 years but only on vacation.Please help, replys good or bad. thanks.
Not all of Florida is like Orlando.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Is life greener in Florida?
Not just greener, but also much hotter and much more humid (which is probably why it is greener) ...
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:43 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

We were on holiday last year in Florida. My mom owns a place near Boca Raton. My husband said "lets move down here!" I explained to him about the high unemployment low salaries, humidity,hurricanes etc. It's not all Disney World down there! Also Florida is a fairly big state. You can be in Palm Beach where it's beautiful or in the panhandle where it can be pretty poor and downtrodden. I also agree with what others have posted aboyt the E2 and insurance.