Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Water heater replacement

Water heater replacement

Old Jul 5th 2022, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water heater replacement

UPDATE:

Second quote was far more reasonable. Plumber came out, immediately said the HWT was overkill, and that a ~50 gallon would suffice (easily). 10 year warranty was reasonable given average life in our town is 7 years, and the invoice was fully itemized.

Now in a much stronger negotiating position (will likely not use the first company in any case).

Thank you all!
Old Jul 5th 2022, 3:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
UPDATE: Second quote was far more reasonable. Plumber came out, immediately said the HWT was overkill, and that a ~50 gallon would suffice (easily). ....
We'd never have guessed.
... Thank you all!
You're welcome.
Old Jul 5th 2022, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We'd never have guessed.

You're welcome.
Very useful feedback here, and my faith in the second company was increased when he immediately flagged the current setup as overkill and would be way too expensive for our needs.

I also rely a lot on gut feeling with vendors as well, can tell within 5 mins if they are reputable or not..
Old Jul 5th 2022, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PetrifiedExPat
Very useful feedback here, and my faith in the second company was increased when he immediately flagged the current setup as overkill and would be way too expensive for our needs.

I also rely a lot on gut feeling with vendors as well, can tell within 5 mins if they are reputable or not..
I totally agree, and hypothetically, if I ever owned a home that warranted 80gal of hot water capacity I would lean strongly towards installing two water heaters over one larger one, even if using one water heater had a small efficiency advantage, as two water heaters would almost eliminate any risk of being left without hot water.
Old Jul 9th 2022, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I took Pulaski’s advice and just ran a CPVC pipe down to drain pan from pressure release valve. It’s common practice to do that here. I meant to have done that when I installed the water heater but forgot about it with the hundreds of other things I was doing in the house build. I have also ordered a new anode rod and will post a photo of the old and new during replacement. Like I mentioned before when I replaced the anode rod at my old house after 15 years it was a one inch stub. That water heater according to new owner is still working fine with 25 years in service. Pulaski did you ever confirm that your water heater has an anode rod? A side note check out Supply House website for electrical and plumbing stuff. I have bought from them a couple of times and their prices are the lowest I have found with fast shipping.

Last edited by ddsrph; Jul 9th 2022 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered a new anode rod for my 30 gallon Rheem electric water heater. To my surprise I found a factory Rheem replacement for $10.71 from Supply House. Com. While I am waiting to receive the part I took out the existing rod which is in a Five year old water heater. It was totally eaten away which was surprising after only 5 years. When I get the new one tomorrow I will post a photo of both. I think I will now replace every three years. It’s a ten minute job and could add ten years or more to the life of heater.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just replaced the anode rod on my five year old 30 gallon electric water heater. Here is a picture of old and new rod. My tank is glass lined as is most modern tanks. In the five years the old anode rod is almost eaten away. The new one was only $11.75 and easy to replace.
Old Jul 25th 2022, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

.... and there was me questioning as to whether it was REALLY necessary when hubby started replacing the anode tube every 3 years !

Scary .....
Old Jul 25th 2022, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... and there was me questioning as to whether it was REALLY necessary when hubby started replacing the anode tube every 3 years !

Scary .....
Most people aren’t aware they even exist. I wasn’t until just a few years ago. It can really extend the life of water heater.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I just replaced the anode rod on my five year old 30 gallon electric water heater. Here is a picture of old and new rod. My tank is glass lined as is most modern tanks. In the five years the old anode rod is almost eaten away. The new one was only $11.75 and easy to replace. ....
I keep forgetting to check my own water heater for an anode rod, but I have an old (a full 30 years old!) water heater awaiting a one-way trip to the scrap yard, and I have tried to remove the only bolt in the top of the heater, which I assume is the anode, and it will not budge. I tried with all my might with the heater in the upright position, to no avail, and then I laid the water heater on it's side, and positioned it so that I was pushing down to loosen the bolt, still to no avail. I may ask my FIL if he has a longer handle, a "breaker bar", for the 1 1/8" socket, but otherwise I may have to give up my hopes of finding out what is left of the anode.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I keep forgetting to check my own water heater for an anode rod, but I have an old (a full 30 years old!) water heater awaiting a one-way trip to the scrap yard, and I have tried to remove the only bolt in the top of the heater, which I assume is the anode, and it will not budge. I tried with all my might with the heater in the upright position, to no avail, and then I laid the water heater on it's side, and positioned it so that I was pushing down to loosen the bolt, still to no avail. I may ask my FIL if he has a longer handle, a "breaker bar", for the 1 1/8" socket, but otherwise I may have to give up my hopes of finding out what is left of the anode.
I had a similar problem but had a long breaker bar. Even with that it took a lot of force. I used Teflon tape to seal new rod so it should come out easier next time. My rod was not in center of tank but off to one side under a plastic cover and the nut was covered by foam insulation. In the top center of tank was another nut which just turned out to be a plug to vent for draining tank.
Old Sep 10th 2022, 9:51 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The force applied in pushing down is limited to one’s weight. You can put more force pushing up.
Old Sep 11th 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The force applied in pushing down is limited to one’s weight. You can put more force pushing up.
In theory you are correct, however I am highly doubtful that I can even lift my own weight with one arm, while simultaneously holding down the water heater, which is empty and weighs only about 140lb. So I'd be applying enough force to lift it off the ground. Then there's the matter of converting linear force to torque.

It would make an interesting discussion in A' level, or undergraduate physics, estimating the force one man could apply.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 11th 2022 at 2:46 pm.