British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   watching man u match in nw suburbs Illinois? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/watching-man-u-match-nw-suburbs-illinois-726029/)

us4now Jul 23rd 2011 2:43 pm

watching man u match in nw suburbs Illinois?

Hello,
This is a long shot, but does anyone local to nw suburbs of Illinois know of a place which might show the match this evening between Chicago Fire and Man Utd? A place I could bring my 12 and 14 year old sons? It is being carried by ESPN, which we dont have. Tried to get tickets but only expensive rubbish seats left.

I should just say for the record we are not Man U supporters (Arsenal here) but we would love to see an English club versus Chicago Fire. We were at a Fire game last week. They are pretty awful to be honest! But my poor soccer starved lads wold go to any game at this stage!

Thanks in advance for any input.

kimilseung Jul 23rd 2011 3:42 pm

Re: watching man u match in nw suburbs Illinois?

Do you have comcast or other participating internet provider? if so you can watch ESPN on espn360.com

Bob Jul 23rd 2011 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 9513955)
Do you have comcast? if so you can watch ESPN on espn360.com

It's a pretty good quality feed too...didn't realise it was a Comcast only thing though?

kimilseung Jul 23rd 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9513961)
It's a pretty good quality feed too...didn't realise it was a Comcast only thing though?

Its other providers too, but I only know Comcast off the top of my head as it is the company we are tied up with.

here is the full list

iray Jul 23rd 2011 3:59 pm

Most of the "soccer" pubs will be OK to take 12 and 14 year olds to. I'm not a suburbanite (just) so don't know which area you're thinking of, but I know the likes of Gingers and the Globe in Chicago will be showing it. There's also The Trinity bar just down from Gingers, but that's a Man U bar through and through. Fado downtown. I remember talking to some guy who owned Quigley's in Naperville a few years ago and he said he was trying to make the place a football pub, you could give them a ring.

As other have said, if you want to watch at home, I think it's actually on ESPN2, nevermind ESPN360. (except you've already said you don't have ESPN, missed that part!). And to be honest, any sports bat will have the game, and enough TVs that even if you're in the minority, they'll put it on one of the TVs for you.

us4now Jul 23rd 2011 11:56 pm

Many thanks, guys. We watched on espn360.com. Would have liked to see the Fire win, as they played so well in the first half. But once they brought the 'big guns' on, the Fire didn't stand a chance....

BigDavyG Jul 24th 2011 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by us4now (Post 9514635)
Many thanks, guys. We watched on espn360.com. Would have liked to see the Fire win, as they played so well in the first half. But once they brought the 'big guns' on, the Fire didn't stand a chance....

For future reference there aren't really many footie pubs in the NW 'burbs, though virtually any bar will show you a game if it is on ESPN.
There are plenty of Oirish bars about that would be ok-ish options, like Peggy Kinanes in Arlington Heights, or Finn McCools in Rolling Meadows.

Scouse Express Jul 25th 2011 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by us4now (Post 9513895)
Hello,
This is a long shot, but does anyone local to nw suburbs of Illinois know of a place which might show the match this evening between Chicago Fire and Man Utd? A place I could bring my 12 and 14 year old sons? It is being carried by ESPN, which we dont have. Tried to get tickets but only expensive rubbish seats left.

I should just say for the record we are not Man U supporters (Arsenal here) but we would love to see an English club versus Chicago Fire. We were at a Fire game last week. They are pretty awful to be honest! But my poor soccer starved lads wold go to any game at this stage!

Thanks in advance for any input.

If Man U were playing in my back yard, I'd close the curtains!

Jim.