British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Watching the "EPL" (HELP!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/watching-epl-help-869841/)

RickyOtto Dec 31st 2015 12:45 am

Watching the "EPL" (HELP!)

Hello All,Firstly thank you to the many of you who often post answers to questions on here. I am infrequent poster but read diligently the many responses and having now been in Houston for 4 weeks, it has really helped us settle by answering so many of the annoying little things )although nobody told me that on Christmas day it would be 27 degrees!)

However we're now into easier territory and I confess I'm entering self-proclaimed stupidville. I'm a lagger with technology. The good news is I managed to bag a SMART 4K Tv down for about half its retail value from Best Buy....sometimes kicking up a stink for bad customer service can get some serious price reductions. My wife has set up her Netflix and Amazon Prime. So she is sorted.

The bad news is I only really want to watch Premier League football on a Saturday morning and despite reading a few old threads was completely baffled as to what to do. I want to spend as little as possible and wondered if there is a pay per view, streaming option, or some limited cable service whereby I don't have to fork out loads for such a trivial indulgence and can make it turn up on my new fandangled tv.

All help (in idiot proof language) warmly welcomed.
EDIT: HAPPY NEW YEAR IN ADVANCE!

anotherlimey Dec 31st 2015 12:59 am

Re: Watching the "EPL" (HELP!)

Obviously legal options are things like nbc sports via cable.

There are obviously illegal streaming sites around too. They're easy to find on Google, but quality isn't great generally.... Well that's what I heard from someone in a bathroom once.

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 31st 2015 1:07 am

Hook up a Roku and you can watch all the weekend games.

You can also get Acorn TV on the Roku and spend hours watching Doc Martin, Midsummer Murders, Morse, Poroit, Timeteam........over and over again:unsure:

(I am easily pleased and very boring)

username.exe Dec 31st 2015 1:15 am

I use NBC sports via Apple tv. Gets all the PL games.
I have access through a cable subscription a family member has (we pay for netflix and amazon prime).

A friend in the UK has a subscription to PL pass in NZ (legal). Gets all the PL games online for about $100. Decent definition.

markonline1 Dec 31st 2015 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11824656)
Hook up a Roku and you can watch all the weekend games.

Only if you have a subscription to NBCSN.
That's pretty much your only bet, unless you want to use one of the illegal streaming sites. Although NBC usually show the Saturday 5.30 game on their network channel.

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 31st 2015 1:44 am

Originally Posted by markonline1 (Post 11824673)
Only if you have a subscription to NBCSN.
That's pretty much your only bet, unless you want to use one of the illegal streaming sites. Although NBC usually show the Saturday 5.30 game on their network channel.

Yeah, I forgot. We have Dish so we don't have to watch it on the Roku but we do sometimes if we are not at home at the weekend, we can watch the games later.

az2014 Dec 31st 2015 4:04 am

Just stream it there are plenty of HD quality streams around.

SkyBlueInOregon Dec 31st 2015 2:10 pm

I use a standard $40 indoor antenna, I get a load of the standard channels including NBC (which usually shows one game a day) but not NBCS. If you ever get into 'football' this is a great option as the 4 or 5 main channels show college and NFL pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday respectively.
There is a website somewhere that tells you what channels you can get based on location.

Brit In TN Dec 31st 2015 4:39 pm

If you have a cable subscription (eg Comcast) that carries NBC, NBCSN, USA then you are basically set to see every EPL game going. Most are on NBCSN (NBC Sports Network) however some games will be shown on USA and/or NBC. For any other games that are not on these channels you get a free sign up (with your NBCSN channel access) to online service NBC Sports Live Extra.
This online site shows every single EPL game, so if the game of your choice isn't being shown on telly you can just sign online and watch it live. All you have to do is enter your cable subscription details.
NBC getting the EPL telly rights has been the best thing that has happened to us footie fans in USA. Long may it continue.

(On a fairly typical Saturday I can watch three or four live games then another couple on Sunday.)

markcst Dec 31st 2015 5:02 pm

I got cable. In the end it was hassle free and gets fixed if it goes wrong by someone else. All you need is a package that includes NBCSN (NBC Sports Network). They have the rights for some time (just signed up the latest rights). They do have occasional games on USA and NBC though for free, but NBCSN has an all morning show of live games, "at the moment" goals and their own Match of The Day show.
What annoys me is that Be-In have the other rights to the Championship and its consider a Spanish channel and often is either NOT included in sports packages or not even available.
So I've been investigating other (reliable) routes to watch that!

username.exe Dec 31st 2015 5:17 pm

I've caught the occasional Champions League game on ESPN Deportes in Spanish - anyone know where I should go to get the live games in English?

civilservant Dec 31st 2015 7:31 pm

NBC Sports really can't be beaten, I've seen every Man U game this year - which is far more than I ever saw back home, the 3pm blackout rule obviously doesn't apply here and it's marvelous :)

durham_lad Dec 31st 2015 9:47 pm

Another vote for NBC Sports. This is the 2nd year they have had it and I think they have it for another year. Previously it was FoxSports I think, and it may move again to another channel again for the 2017/18 season.

Nice app for NBC Sports so was able to keep up with the games while traveling.

RickyOtto Jan 1st 2016 2:12 am

Thanks gents. Some really useful advice for me. I didn't realise I could still get a few games without cable through just a basic antenna. Will start there whilst looking at the various nbc packages available.

Does anyone take in any MLS games live? I've been watching some on sky back home in preparation for my move and have been impressed by the crowds and atmosphere (standard looks ropey but as an Oxford fan I can't really pretend to have standards). I'm toying with getting down to watch Houston dynamos when the season ramps up.

scrubbedexpat097 Jan 1st 2016 3:40 am

Originally Posted by RickyOtto (Post 11825342)
Thanks gents. Some really useful advice for me. I didn't realise I could still get a few games without cable through just a basic antenna. Will start there whilst looking at the various nbc packages available.

Does anyone take in any MLS games live? I've been watching some on sky back home in preparation for my move and have been impressed by the crowds and atmosphere (standard looks ropey but as an Oxford fan I can't really pretend to have standards). I'm toying with getting down to watch Houston dynamos when the season ramps up.

We have been to a few Dynamo games and it is a cheap fun afternoon/evening out. Brilliant atmosphere, great little stadium and very family friendly.

The plus for us is we sometimes get to sit in a private box courtesy of a friend of our daughters father-*in-law. With the Texas humidity at full blast it is nice to be able to leave your seat for a while and cool off in the a/c, with a drink in your hand and still have a excellent view of the game:thumbup: