Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Watching British Movies in the US

Watching British Movies in the US

Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watching British Movies in the US

Do you ever make a point to go and watch a British movie when it is playing in the States?

Since I've been here I've really enjoyed (and sort of felt proud and patriotic) to see films like 'Bridget Jones's Diary', 'Gosford Park', 'Bend It Like Beckham', 'About a Boy', and 'Calendar Girls.'

The only one I didn't like was called (I think) '24 days' about a germ warfare killer virus which wipes out virtually the whole population - very apt when there was the scare over here about anthrax and ricin. I didn't bother with the 'Thunderbirds' movie which had crap reviews.

I'm really looking forward to the next 'Bridget Jones' movie which is coming out soon, and I've just found out that a local art-house cinema is currently playing a film directed by Stephen Fry called 'Bright Young Things' based on an Auberon Waugh novel. It seems like it could be a tad similar to the Jeeves & Wooster series which I used to enjoy watching (Fry was the 'gentleman's gentleman' and Hugh Laurie was the rich dimwit) so I think I'll go along to see this movie at the weekend. Here's the trailer and perhaps those of you in other States might like to see if it's on in your area:

http://www.brightyoungthingsthemovie.co.uk

I'm hoping that 'Shaun of the Dead' (zombie flick) might be released here sometime but if not I'll have to get a DVD brought over from England for Christmas.

http://www.shaunofthedead.com (cool soundtrack if you click on the jukebox)
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:49 pm
elf
Forum Regular

elf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Watching British Movies in the US

I'm hoping that 'Shaun of the Dead' (zombie flick) might be released here sometime but if not I'll have to get a DVD brought over from England for Christmas.

http://www.shaunofthedead.com (cool soundtrack if you click on the jukebox)[/QUOTE]

Shaun of the dead is absolutely hysterical and you will enjoy. It is very much a british humour film, so whether it will suit American humour, I dont know. Having watched Drop Dead Fred in a florida theatre and being surrounded by Americans who had no understanding of Rik Mayals Humour , I,m not sure if all brit flicks are US suitable.
But for thoe of us expats they remind us that we do have our own unique british lunacy.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:53 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I took my US fiance to see Shaun of the Dead when she was here one time and she found it funny, so I guess anything is possible. Just bought it on DVD actually, great movie
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

The only one I didn't like was called (I think) '24 days' about a germ warfare killer virus which wipes out virtually the whole population - very apt when there was the scare over here about anthrax and ricin. I didn't bother with the 'Thunderbirds' movie which had crap reviews.
28 Days later....
I kinda liked that movie, stupid as it was, fun horror flick
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elf
Shaun of the dead is absolutely hysterical and you will enjoy. It is very much a british humour film, so whether it will suit American humour, I dont know. Having watched Drop Dead Fred in a florida theatre and being surrounded by Americans who had no understanding of Rik Mayals Humour , I,m not sure if all brit flicks are US suitable.
But for thoe of us expats they remind us that we do have our own unique british lunacy.
A lot of the movies do a lot better than I thought they would, especially dvd's and stuff, but it's odd seeing movies coming out over here when dvd's have been out for a while, like with "Hero", which was on dvd a couple years ago, not bad movie might add, but very different from what the adds portray
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:07 pm
elf
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbickle
I took my US fiance to see Shaun of the Dead when she was here one time and she found it funny, so I guess anything is possible. Just bought it on DVD actually, great movie
Well Abfab and Bottom goes down a storm in the US so I guess we arent the only sickos on the planet
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by elf
Well Abfab and Bottom goes down a storm in the US so I guess we arent the only sickos on the planet
Graham Norton and My Family ain't doing to badly, shame that Norton is so neutered tho
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:15 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Graham Norton and My Family ain't doing to badly, shame that Norton is so neutered tho
Somebody wake me up when Bo Selecta! makes it to the USA
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:18 pm
elf
Forum Regular

oh absolutely
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Yeah, surprised not to see that around, what with Ali G doing the rounds...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:25 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, surprised not to see that around, what with Ali G doing the rounds...
I don't know if the US would appreciate the humour in Bo Selecta! It took long enough for them to get to grips with Ali G
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light

lol, i know what you mean about the proud patriotic thing when watching english movies!

I bought a blackadder dvd and was watching, laughing hysterically, and my husband was just like, this is not funny, whats wrong with you?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by eggysbrain
lol, i know what you mean about the proud patriotic thing when watching english movies!

I bought a blackadder dvd and was watching, laughing hysterically, and my husband was just like, this is not funny, whats wrong with you?
Hehe...yeah, I got blackadder goes fourth, one of my favs in the series

Funny thing that really amuses me is when they try to re-create the shows and then they bomb, the US Coupling was appaling, made me cringe, couldn't stand to watch a whole episode in the end, shame, loved the original Couplings
And I hear that the office is being remade, that should be interesting...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

eggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of lighteggysbrain is a glorious beacon of light

blackadder goes forth is surely the funniest blackadder EVER
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough

I'm from Cornwall and I really enjoyed watching Saving Grace. Martin Clunes is just funny to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.