British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Watching British Movies in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/watching-british-movies-us-254867/)

Englishmum Sep 15th 2004 8:26 pm

Watching British Movies in the US

Do you ever make a point to go and watch a British movie when it is playing in the States?

Since I've been here I've really enjoyed (and sort of felt proud and patriotic) to see films like 'Bridget Jones's Diary', 'Gosford Park', 'Bend It Like Beckham', 'About a Boy', and 'Calendar Girls.'

The only one I didn't like was called (I think) '24 days' about a germ warfare killer virus which wipes out virtually the whole population - very apt when there was the scare over here about anthrax and ricin. I didn't bother with the 'Thunderbirds' movie which had crap reviews.

I'm really looking forward to the next 'Bridget Jones' movie which is coming out soon, and I've just found out that a local art-house cinema is currently playing a film directed by Stephen Fry called 'Bright Young Things' based on an Auberon Waugh novel. It seems like it could be a tad similar to the Jeeves & Wooster series which I used to enjoy watching (Fry was the 'gentleman's gentleman' and Hugh Laurie was the rich dimwit) so I think I'll go along to see this movie at the weekend. Here's the trailer and perhaps those of you in other States might like to see if it's on in your area:

http://www.brightyoungthingsthemovie.co.uk

I'm hoping that 'Shaun of the Dead' (zombie flick) might be released here sometime but if not I'll have to get a DVD brought over from England for Christmas. :)

http://www.shaunofthedead.com (cool soundtrack if you click on the jukebox)

elf Sep 15th 2004 9:49 pm

Re: Watching British Movies in the US

I'm hoping that 'Shaun of the Dead' (zombie flick) might be released here sometime but if not I'll have to get a DVD brought over from England for Christmas. :)

http://www.shaunofthedead.com (cool soundtrack if you click on the jukebox)[/QUOTE]

Shaun of the dead is absolutely hysterical and you will enjoy. It is very much a british humour film, so whether it will suit American humour, I dont know. Having watched Drop Dead Fred in a florida theatre and being surrounded by Americans who had no understanding of Rik Mayals Humour :rolleyes: , I,m not sure if all brit flicks are US suitable.
But for thoe of us expats they remind us that we do have our own unique british lunacy. :D

NJ_Dave Sep 15th 2004 9:53 pm

I took my US fiance to see Shaun of the Dead when she was here one time and she found it funny, so I guess anything is possible. Just bought it on DVD actually, great movie:D

Bob Sep 15th 2004 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum

The only one I didn't like was called (I think) '24 days' about a germ warfare killer virus which wipes out virtually the whole population - very apt when there was the scare over here about anthrax and ricin. I didn't bother with the 'Thunderbirds' movie which had crap reviews.

28 Days later....
I kinda liked that movie, stupid as it was, fun horror flick :)

Bob Sep 15th 2004 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by elf
Shaun of the dead is absolutely hysterical and you will enjoy. It is very much a british humour film, so whether it will suit American humour, I dont know. Having watched Drop Dead Fred in a florida theatre and being surrounded by Americans who had no understanding of Rik Mayals Humour :rolleyes: , I,m not sure if all brit flicks are US suitable.
But for thoe of us expats they remind us that we do have our own unique british lunacy. :D

A lot of the movies do a lot better than I thought they would, especially dvd's and stuff, but it's odd seeing movies coming out over here when dvd's have been out for a while, like with "Hero", which was on dvd a couple years ago, not bad movie might add, but very different from what the adds portray

elf Sep 15th 2004 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbickle
I took my US fiance to see Shaun of the Dead when she was here one time and she found it funny, so I guess anything is possible. Just bought it on DVD actually, great movie:D

Well Abfab and Bottom goes down a storm in the US so I guess we arent the only sickos on the planet :)

Bob Sep 15th 2004 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by elf
Well Abfab and Bottom goes down a storm in the US so I guess we arent the only sickos on the planet :)

Graham Norton and My Family ain't doing to badly, shame that Norton is so neutered tho

NJ_Dave Sep 15th 2004 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Graham Norton and My Family ain't doing to badly, shame that Norton is so neutered tho

Somebody wake me up when Bo Selecta! makes it to the USA

elf Sep 15th 2004 10:18 pm

oh absolutely

Bob Sep 15th 2004 10:21 pm

Yeah, surprised not to see that around, what with Ali G doing the rounds...

NJ_Dave Sep 15th 2004 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, surprised not to see that around, what with Ali G doing the rounds...

I don't know if the US would appreciate the humour in Bo Selecta! It took long enough for them to get to grips with Ali G

eggysbrain Sep 15th 2004 10:58 pm

lol, i know what you mean about the proud patriotic thing when watching english movies!

I bought a blackadder dvd and was watching, laughing hysterically, and my husband was just like, this is not funny, whats wrong with you?

Bob Sep 15th 2004 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by eggysbrain
lol, i know what you mean about the proud patriotic thing when watching english movies!

I bought a blackadder dvd and was watching, laughing hysterically, and my husband was just like, this is not funny, whats wrong with you?

Hehe...yeah, I got blackadder goes fourth, one of my favs in the series :)

Funny thing that really amuses me is when they try to re-create the shows and then they bomb, the US Coupling was appaling, made me cringe, couldn't stand to watch a whole episode in the end, shame, loved the original Couplings :)
And I hear that the office is being remade, that should be interesting...

eggysbrain Sep 15th 2004 11:10 pm

blackadder goes forth is surely the funniest blackadder EVER :p

bodmin13 Sep 15th 2004 11:19 pm

I'm from Cornwall and I really enjoyed watching Saving Grace. Martin Clunes is just funny to me.

Englishmum Sep 16th 2004 12:57 am

Good News.

Quite by chance I came across this article in 'The Sun' - and if you read halfway down the page it seems that "Shaun of the Dead" will be released in US cinemas at the end of this month! :D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,7-2004430016,00.html

:beer:

Bob Sep 16th 2004 1:03 am

Good News.

Quite by chance I came across this article in 'The Sun' - and if you read halfway down the page it seems that "Shaun of the Dead" will be released in US cinemas at the end of this month! :D

Yeah, already seen a few trailers on the box for the movie...

dunroving Sep 16th 2004 1:41 am

http://www.shaunofthedead.com (cool soundtrack if you click on the jukebox)

Don't know how often you watch DVD's, but if you watch even just 1-2 per week, you might want to try Netflix (online DVD rental). They have a fair few Brit movies and European movies. They have Shaun of the Dead and Bright Young Things already (you can't rent them yet, but you can "Save" them, then when they become available in the US they'll appear in your queue). Would save you having to buy it from the UK.

They currently have a special offer where you get your first month free (about $23 value) if you are referred by a current member. PM me if you are interested (nothing in it for me).

Celtic_Angel Sep 16th 2004 4:14 am

blackadder goes forth is surely the funniest blackadder EVER :p

OMG NO WAY! :p Black Adder II have to be the funniest!

And as for Bridget Jones I Love that movie hilarious! must say Renee Z. is my fav. actress since then an' she's an American! have i been here too long or was her English accent great!

Ash UK/US Sep 16th 2004 4:43 am

I bought Billy Elliot when I came over here... I thought it was a cute movie and a good part of it was filmed about 15 miles from where I used to live. I also made a point of seeing Bend it like Beckham because everyone raved over it.

Ash :)

NC Penguin Sep 16th 2004 1:48 pm

I'll go and see a film if I think it'll be a good one, regardless of whether it's British or not.

One of the British expat groups I belong to went as a group last year to see Bend it Like Beckham and that was thoroughly enjoyable. Kind of wierd though to sit in the cinema with lots and lots of girls no more than 14 or so (soccer is popular with girls in the US for some reason) who didn't get most of the humour, whereas us Brits were almost crying with laughter at points.

Last Halloween, friends and I got together for a Halloween themed movie night and watched "28 Days Later". It was OK and had its scary moments. I preferred the other movie chosen that even, "The Devil's Backbone" though.

Then, last weekend when I was visiting my in-laws, I watched Love Actually which I held back from watching in any format due to the presence of Hugh Grant (the guy is infuriating as an actor. Not talented really and has an irritating screen presence). That film was pretty lame and predictable. The Rowan Atkinson scene in Selfridges was way too long drawn out. I liked Rules of Attraction (watched that the same night as Love Actually) better and that's saying something.

I've seen the TV adverts for Shaun of the Dead and I think I'll leave it for DVD viewing really.

One film that I'm looking forward to is Mike Leigh's new offering, Vera Drake, but I would be very surprised if it gets to my area. It's on the subject of (backstreet) abortions and Americans get all in a tizz about abortions so I don't suppose it'll surface till some time in mid-2005 at the earliest.

mattbutt Sep 16th 2004 3:06 pm

There is a new Brit Flick coming out soon called Wimbledon, I went to a preview screening back in May and its basically Nottinghill with Tennis. Kirsten Dunst is in and looks especially fine.

Funny, but you come out thinking that youve seen it all before. I notice a lot of big brit films seem to run a long the English Man meets American Superstar fall in love,live happily ever after.

I suppose its to appeal to the american masses but its getting a little boring.

I really enjoyed 28 Days, im looking forward to seeing Shaun of the Dead there was a trailer on last night ,looks interesting.

Voltore Sep 28th 2004 3:37 pm

Sounds like my wife when I start watching my Will Hay, Ealing Comedies and Carry On films. Admittedly she did think Carry on Cabby was cute...

She's not sure about my Lovejoy collection.... :D

cheers :beer:

Bob Sep 28th 2004 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Voltore
She's not sure about my Lovejoy collection.... :D

Lovejoy....superb....though he ain't been the same after watching "Deadwood" that's for sure *'l*

Big Vern Sep 28th 2004 6:53 pm

Good News.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,7-2004430016,00.html

:beer:

If you can't wait for the US DVD release, I just bought a region 2 copy of Shaun of the Dead from www.cd-wow.com for 11.99 gbp postage paid, should be arriving in a day or two....

Bob Sep 28th 2004 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Big Vern
If you can't wait for the US DVD release, I just bought a region 2 copy of Shaun of the Dead from www.cd-wow.com for 11.99 gbp postage paid, should be arriving in a day or two....

I just saw it lastnight...it was really stupid, but still really funny too :D

Mad Max7 Sep 28th 2004 8:27 pm

I watched Gregorys Girl with my (American wife) and she could not see why I find it amusing. I am not sure what she will make of Shirley Valentine or Local Hero either!!
I was looking forward to the Thunderbirds movie but when I saw what it was like ie a kiddies movie I passed it by (real shame as it could have been so good with all the effects etc that were not available then). All we need now is an "adult" Joe 90, Captain Scarlet and some new Dr Who!! A new UFO series would be good to although Ed Bishop might be getting on a bit for the lead.

Bob Sep 28th 2004 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
some new Dr Who!!

Being done ain't it...billie piper as the sidekick...and they finally relented to include the darleks...but ain't using "exterminate" cos it's too cheesy???

Mad Max7 Sep 28th 2004 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Being done ain't it...billie piper as the sidekick...and they finally relented to include the darleks...but ain't using "exterminate" cos it's too cheesy???

Are they??????????????.............................wha t will the Daleks say?? I expect it will be something like " I am going to dematerialse you into little pieces"!! Bring back exterminate!!!

Bob Sep 28th 2004 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mad Max7
Are they??????????????.............................wha t will the Daleks say?? I expect it will be something like " I am going to dematerialse you into little pieces"!! Bring back exterminate!!!

Yeah...a whole new series, with potential for a tv movie if it goes well, apparantly, well the series is well into production...don't have a clue what they will say, but the bbc weren't even going to have the darleks, cheesy, and tm issues to begin with...

Big Vern Sep 28th 2004 10:25 pm

Yeah, The new Dr. Who is Christopher Eccleston out of Cracker and 28 Days Later....

Bob Sep 28th 2004 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Yeah, The new Dr. Who is Christopher Eccleston out of Cracker and 28 Days Later....

oh that creepy guy huh...hmmm...should be interesting...

Mad Max7 Sep 29th 2004 12:16 pm

Who???? I have not seen cracker recently but I am married to one!!