British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Watching British Election Coverage tonight (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/watching-british-election-coverage-tonight-447190/)

Goodacre May 3rd 2007 7:32 pm

Watching British Election Coverage tonight

It's election night tonight, Scottish Parliament, local elections in England etc. Anyone got any good tips for how to pick up the British coverage, preferably BBC? I realize that I can listen in on Radio 4 but ideally I'd like to pick up BBC1 or BBC News 24 or similar. I'm just having a look around to see what the possibilities are. I think last year I watched it via BBC's broadband coverage, but they've closed that down to international users :frown: .

Bob May 3rd 2007 8:42 pm

Re: Watching British Election Coverage tonight

the radio is your best bet, followed by perhaps bbca's news 24 jobby...

or do a search for p2p web streaming tele, as it might be shown on some random channel abroad, or even the various cspan channels...

Goodacre May 3rd 2007 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 4734431)
the radio is your best bet, followed by perhaps bbca's news 24 jobby...

or do a search for p2p web streaming tele, as it might be shown on some random channel abroad, or even the various cspan channels...

Thanks. Think the radio coverage probably will be the best thing. Can't get any news 24 online, or BBC1; tried various p2p options. :(

Richardowen May 3rd 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Goodacre (Post 4734150)
It's election night tonight, Scottish Parliament, local elections in England etc. Anyone got any good tips for how to pick up the British coverage, preferably BBC? I realize that I can listen in on Radio 4 but ideally I'd like to pick up BBC1 or BBC News 24 or similar. I'm just having a look around to see what the possibilities are. I think last year I watched it via BBC's broadband coverage, but they've closed that down to international users :frown: .

What's your problem with the BBC online, is it the news summary you're trying to watch or which link ? I remember I had the same issue but it's easy to get around... let me know what you're trying to do.

penguinsix May 3rd 2007 10:33 pm

During the national elections, C-SPAN does a deal with the BBC and shows the full BBC coverage live from the UK for hours on end (they actually do similar deals with the German, French and a few other countries during their elections as well).

You might want to check C-SPAN to see if they have coverage. Not sure if BBCAmi would have it (doubt it).

snowbunny May 3rd 2007 10:40 pm

There was coverage on NPR today regarding the SNP. You might check their website, www.npr.org -- the Scottish independence issue is attracting a lot of media attention. I dislike the BBC's clamp-down on international users. :frown: They could charge a subscription fee but nooooooooooo.

I'd check YouTube frequently.... people will post clips of the results.

Goodacre May 3rd 2007 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 4734786)
There was coverage on NPR today regarding the SNP. You might check their website, www.npr.org -- the Scottish independence issue is attracting a lot of media attention. I dislike the BBC's clamp-down on international users. :frown: They could charge a subscription fee but nooooooooooo.

I'd check YouTube frequently.... people will post clips of the results.

I know -- I'm pretty frustrated with the BBC situation. I would happily pay a subscription to access the live news content. At least one can still get a lot of stuff via broadband that isn't live, Newsnight, Panorama, This Week etc., though they hide this away a bit. And no good for elections.

I've tried a bunch of P2P options but without success. BBC World won't have the election coverage, I don't think. BBC America hasn't. Tried the C-SPAN site (thanks for mention) but no election stuff on there.

So looks like Radio 4 and the web.

Goodacre May 3rd 2007 11:07 pm

Actually, the BBC1 Election Special can be watched online at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...07/default.stm and click "watch live". It's not broadband, but at least it's a live feed with Dimbo et al . :)