Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Washington reforms healthcare AND taxes

Washington reforms healthcare AND taxes

Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washington reforms healthcare AND taxes

I'm not going to get involved in the debate on the merits of the healthcare bill (I'll leave that for the other thread on here that's almost up to 500 posts!), but it's important to point out some important tax changes included in the bill. Just how important are they? Well, the Congressional Budget Office says the IRS will need $10 billion and 17,000 new employees to enforce its share of the new rules!

Here are some of the key tax provisions:

• Starting immediately, certain small businesses with less than 10 employees will get a 35% credit for the cost of providing employee health benefits.

• Starting in 2011, employers will have to report the value of health benefits on Form W2.

• The penalty tax for Health Savings Account distributions not used for health care expenses doubles from 10% to 20%. This will discourage using HSAs for supplemental retirement savings.

• Starting in 2013, the 7.5% floor for deducting medical and dental expenses climbs to 10% (unless you or your spouse are 65 or older, in which case it remains at 7.5% until 2016).

• Healthcare flexible spending account contributions are capped at $2,500 per year.

• Starting in 2014, businesses with more than 50 employees will have to offer heath benefits or pay a penalty of $750/employee.

There's also one more unwelcome surprise: currently, the Medicare tax is limited to 2.9% of earned income. The reconciliation bill imposes an additional Medicare tax of 0.9% on earned income above $200,000 (individuals) or $250,000 (families). It also adds a 3.8% "Unearned Income Medicare Contribution" on investment income - specifically, interest, dividends, annuities, royalties, capital gains, and rents - for taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Income above those same thresholds. Those new levies would take effect in 2013.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washington reforms healthcare AND taxes

Thank you, Pete, for the tax perspective summary on this!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 10:43 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, thanks for the info Peter.

Originally Posted by Peter Newton
It also adds a 3.8% "Unearned Income Medicare Contribution" on investment income - specifically, interest, dividends, annuities, royalties, capital gains, and rents - for taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Income above those same thresholds. Those new levies would take effect in 2013.
That's a bit harsh on writers, photographers, illustrators, game designers, programmers, songwriters etc., isn't it? Not to mention that calling it "unearned" is adding insult to injury.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, wrong end.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, wrong end.
So what are these royalties that aren't what I understand by the word, then?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

jamestravis is an unknown quantity at this point

It also adds a 3.8% "Unearned Income Medicare Contribution" on investment income - specifically, interest, dividends, annuities, royalties, capital gains, and rents - for taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Income above those same thresholds. Those new levies would take effect in 2013.
Seems to be only for people over $200,000/$250,000 in gross income.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by jamestravis
Seems to be only for people over $200,000/$250,000 in gross income.
And your point is?
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

jamestravis is an unknown quantity at this point

That it's not as harsh to writers etc who make under the thresholds...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

There's also one more unwelcome surprise: currently, the Medicare tax is limited to 2.9% of earned income. The reconciliation bill imposes an additional Medicare tax of 0.9% on earned income above $200,000 (individuals) or $250,000 (families). Those new levies would take effect in 2013.
OK, this is a little confusing. Normally medicare tax is withheld by the employer with both the employer and employee each paying 1.45%. Now it would make sense that above a certain threshold, the employer and employee would each contribute 1.9%. However, your statement indicates that there is a different threshold depending on whether it is an individual or a family.

Therefore does the employer and employee only pay 2.9% combined and then the employee figures out family income and pays the difference when he files tax returns?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond reputePeter Newton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
does the employer and employee only pay 2.9% combined and then the employee figures out family income and pays the difference when he files tax returns?
The IRS will have to figure out how this gets implemented (I'm sure some of those 17,000 extra employees will be charged with this task!). I imagine there will be some kind of medicare witholding allowance certificate that employees file with their employers (much like the current W-4), and then you settle up any difference at the end of the year. Don't know how that will work from the employers side though...
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The IRS will have to figure out how this gets implemented (I'm sure some of those 17,000 extra employees will be charged with this task!). I imagine there will be some kind of medicare witholding allowance certificate that employees file with their employers (much like the current W-4), and then you settle up any difference at the end of the year. Don't know how that will work from the employers side though...
If it is based on total family income, they won't know how much to withhold unless they know the other persons income. I don't see how it could be accurately figured out until the end of the year (one person may quit or get a bonus).

Or do you think that when they refer to families, that means that each member of the family wouldn't be affected unless either of them made $250,000. That doesn't make much sense since a family could make $500,000 but an individual could only make $200,000 without being affected.

Last edited by Michael; Mar 26th 2010 at 6:41 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by chartreuse
So what are these royalties that aren't what I understand by the word, then?
I'd understand it as, people are paid for that work when initially producing it; royalties are unearned income.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 7:59 pm

I'd understand it as, people are paid for that work when initially producing it; royalties are unearned income.
Ah, but that's not the case. For example, the author of a novel may get an advance against royalties but that is not wages and the publisher is not his employer. She is a self-employed worker, the work is the writing of the novel (and other stuff) and the total income earned for that work is the sum of all the royalties received.

Seems very unfair to call in "unearned".
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

In all the news articles I've read and all the sound bites I've heard, this is the first time I've actually seen something concrete about what the bill is all about. Thanks for posting this information!
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

What Catman said.

My OH earns royalties from published artwork. The payment is usually two-fold: a lump sum on the initial contract followed by royalties paid quarterly on every item sold with the artwork on it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.