Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Washing machines and tumble dryer

Washing machines and tumble dryer

Old Aug 23rd 2017, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Washing machines and tumble dryer

My family has finally arrived in Philadelphia!
We're currently staying in Airbnb accommodation while waiting for our container to clear customers. Hopefully we'll be in this week.

We have the keys to the house so I've yesterday I was able to buy a kettle, toaster and vacuum cleaner. Now I need to purchase a washing machine and tumble dryer, but I'm flummoxed by the choice.
I'd be grateful for some tips, please.

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 2:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machines and tumble dryer

Originally Posted by RollingStones
My family has finally arrived in Philadelphia!
We're currently staying in Airbnb accommodation while waiting for our container to clear customers. Hopefully we'll be in this week.

We have the keys to the house so I've yesterday I was able to buy a kettle, toaster and vacuum cleaner. Now I need to purchase a washing machine and tumble dryer, but I'm flummoxed by the choice.
I'd be grateful for some tips, please.

Thanks
Here you go, fifteen pages of washing machine talk. I gather front loaders are considered the way to go . . . of course, I don't have one!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/trail...achine-856789/
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

This is useful.

I'm visiting Lowes today. Samsung or Whirlpool?
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

This is useful.

Check Consumer Reports to see the reliability ratings or here:
http://clark.com/shopping-retail/str...rs-and-dryers/
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Check Consumer Reports to see the reliability ratings or here:
Strategies for buying the best washer and dryer | Clark Howard

Thanks
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

This is useful.

1. You might want to wait until labor day weekend (Monday, September 4). Usually, all the stores have bigger discounts for appliances on holiday weekends.

2. I have found Costco to have the best deals on name-brand appliances but you have to be a member. I bought a Kenmore washing machine and dryer from Sears. Kenmore is the store-name brand for Sears; the appliances are made by one of the well-known brands and rebranded. You can get a good deal.

3. Remember to include the delivery fee in your calculations, some places charge too much for delivery. Other places are free.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RollingStones;12322839]Thank you.

This is useful.

I'm visiting Lowes today. Samsung or Whirlpool?[/QUOTE

We have had good luck with Whirlpool and Maytag which I think is also Whirlpool. We have stuck with top loaders. One thing to be aware of is the newer machines have a water saving feature and you wonder if the non adjustable water level is sufficient. Discuss this with the Lowes sales people. Also hold off as Lowes usually has a Labor Day sale and you may get a much better deal around the holiday.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 3:55 pm
I don't (often) bite

hmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond reputehmvsdog has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

This is useful.

We went Samsung, they are awesome. Although, not too far from us is a Best Buy Outlet that sells a plethora of open box stuff in Newark, DE. There is some stuff with a few minor dings and dents or even just missing packaging that you can get for around 50% off (no, I'm not kidding), and they'll deliver too.

Every local Best Buy will also have a selection of open box stuff too and it very much worth checking out. There was a Sears Outlet in Pheonixville up until recently, but that closed.

Last edited by hmvsdog; Aug 23rd 2017 at 3:57 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 6:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

costco usually has good prices but they will have the more expensive machines. Costco also has the best returns policy going without needing to buy insurance. Bestbuy and Sears outlet will charge you for service after about a minute. Well, 2 weeks.
My current w/machine is a samsung front loader as is the dryer. I got the w/machine from Lowes when it was on sale for about half price and they delivered it for free.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you have a 10% coupon at the very least when shopping at Lowe's.

If you don't then purchase one on eBay for a few bucks.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure the tumble dryer is a top loader by far the best.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
Make sure the tumble dryer is a top loader by far the best.
No don't say that, I've just bought a front loader. It's massive!
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

I went to Sears in the end, and discovered prices much reduced. I bought an LG washing machine and a Kenmore Elite electric tumbler. Thank you for your help.

Only problem is, I've just had my new Bank of America card stopped due to 'unusual activity', was told to present myself at a bank to verify myself. Day-ammm. The banks close here at 4pm and I missed it by 5 minutes.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that all top loader style washers are prone to exploding. This generally only happens if you wash bedding or overload the washer.
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

No don't say that, I've just bought a front loader. It's massive!
I can dry shoes in my front loader, not sure if that is possible with top loaders. It has a static shelf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.