Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Warning to all Arizona residents!

Warning to all Arizona residents!

Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Warning to all Arizona residents!

Stay off the roads, because I'm learning to drive!:scared:

Got my instructional permit this morning getting 28 of 30 questions correct. For those that don't know, I never learnt how to drive a car in the U.K. I just had my motorbike for transport.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 6:08 pm
Under Achiever

dudleydowg is an unknown quantity at this point

Gawd help us, if you can't drive in AZ you can't drive anywhere, but then the standard of driving isn't very high anyway good luck with the I10 at busy periods especially around the airport turn offs and Washington St, just close your eyes and head for the offramp its always what I do:scared:
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Keep death off the road, drive on the sidewalk !
Old Apr 1st 2004, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warning to all Arizona residents!

Originally posted by Pimpbot

Got my instructional permit this morning getting 28 of 30 questions correct. For those that don't know, I never learnt how to drive a car in the U.K. I just had my motorbike for transport.
Take care on the roundabouts:
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...bout01Z12.html
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Just give us all a quick heads up before setting off anywhere, then we can stay indoors until you get home again.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by edwords
I've only ever seen two roundabouts in the US. One in San Francisco near to where my friend lives and one here in Scottsdale on Oak and 68th street. My wife was quite amused by our roundabouts when she visited England.

effi, watch out for a silver Saturn, as I shall be driving my daughters car until I'm working and can buy my own.

Best part about getting the instructional permit, is that I no longer have to carry around my passport for ID.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:13 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck with four wheels!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:27 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Pimpbot! I agree with dudleydowg....stay off the I10, or even the I17 for that matter...it's nuts! Scary, scary people. They don't have motorway ettiquette over here like we do in England, and they'll try to overtake you anyway they can. The ammount of lane-hopping is terrifying.

Best piece of advice I got when starting to drive over here, was never to pull away from the lights too quickly, because a lot of the illegals who don't have licenses tend to run red lights, and of course they don't have insurance. I've seen some nasty head-on collisions here. Having said that, I saw a head-on collision last week between 2 all-American moms, with all the kids and a young baby in the car. One of them just wasn't paying attention and ran the red light. Always hesitate a bit before pulling away. Not like the old days in London when you had a good old burn-up with the car next to you.

Last edited by Rockgurl; Apr 1st 2004 at 9:33 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

I've only ever seen two roundabouts in the US. One in San Francisco near to where my friend lives and one here in Scottsdale on Oak and 68th street. My wife was quite amused by our roundabouts when she visited England.

effi, watch out for a silver Saturn, as I shall be driving my daughters car until I'm working and can buy my own.

Best part about getting the instructional permit, is that I no longer have to carry around my passport for ID.
I'll be watching for you, good luck and be safe.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 4:36 am
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you find motorcycle riding in US compared to UK? We find not being able to jump a queue of traffic and go to the front at traffic lights so frustrating, also that cars can pass you in any lane. We are currently without a bike but hope to have another one soon.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:04 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by edwords
Interesting.

Around these parts they call 'em "Traffic Circles"...lol
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 5:25 am
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

They put a round about in at Clearwater Beach a few years ago. It still causes more traffic jams than before. The City have taken a lot of stick over it. Anyway, I've notice lately that the local radio station is now referring to it as a traffic circle. I'm just waiting for them to start referring to traffic jams and traffic jello. LOL
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

As long as they don't get as bad as the horror job outsid eof the County Ground Swindon. Where they have 6 small roundabouts feeding one big one.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

I've only ever seen two roundabouts in the US.
There's a small one outside the office here, and it's not unusual to see people driving the wrong way round it. Seems to confuse the locals no end, despite the plentiful "yield" and "keep right" signs.

I'm looking forward to the day someone manages to use their indicator correctly!
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

good luck on your driving, just remember 3 right turns = 1 left hahahahahaha... I actually have a friend that did that for a whole year took her miles out of her way sometimes....

I was amazed at the driving test I took here in California.... A whole 10 minutes. Just drove round the block and she said ok you passed... I went from driving a ford fiesta in the UK to a suburban here... I was so scared.... but didn't take long to get used to it...

Perhaps having a big car, people keep their distance... LOL..

You will be fine...... just smile at bad drivers and mutter have a nice day thorugh gritted teeth.....
I did shout "A...hole" once.... My 6 yr old said.. " mommy, whats and A...hole" from the back seat.... My 8 yr old looked at him and said. all matter of fact..... " oh, it's the hole up your bottom" OMG!!!!
Just smile....... LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.