British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wanting to start something new in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wanting-start-something-new-us-763103/)

designo2 Jun 27th 2012 5:18 pm

Wanting to start something new in the US

The basics:
-I'm 20 years old
-Female
-Living in the UK
-No University education

So, I've reached that stage where I want something new. Not uncommon for a 20 year old, I know, but I want to start something completely new!
I've always had a love for America, I had an American penfriend when I was younger, I've visited on holiday and I always want to go back.
As for location I've always be fascinated by Chicago.

I have no ties, I'm not married, I'm not even going out with anyone, so I'm very much my own person. There's nothing holding me down and keeping me here.
As for education and work experience, I left school with my GCSE's, I went onto College and studied Photography but I didn't carry my studies on any further. I went straight into work, working in a warehouse, and then onto retail where I've been every since.

Because I have no higher education and therefore not having a trade, I understand that's probably going to make it more difficult but is there any way that you can still get in and settle down?

If anyone has any useful info, I'd be grateful! :)

Am I just going to have to marry an American?! ;)

GeoffM Jun 27th 2012 5:25 pm

Re: Wanting to start something new in the US

Originally Posted by designo2 (Post 10142611)

From what you've said, barring any other immediate family, yes!

joto Jun 27th 2012 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by designo2 (Post 10142611)
The basics:
-I'm 20 years old
-Female
-Living in the UK
-No University education

So, I've reached that stage where I want something new. Not uncommon for a 20 year old, I know, but I want to start something completely new!
I've always had a love for America, I had an American penfriend when I was younger, I've visited on holiday and I always want to go back.
As for location I've always be fascinated by Chicago.

I have no ties, I'm not married, I'm not even going out with anyone, so I'm very much my own person. There's nothing holding me down and keeping me here.
As for education and work experience, I left school with my GCSE's, I went onto College and studied Photography but I didn't carry my studies on any further. I went straight into work, working in a warehouse, and then onto retail where I've been every since.

Because I have no higher education and therefore not having a trade, I understand that's probably going to make it more difficult but is there any way that you can still get in and settle down?

If anyone has any useful info, I'd be grateful! :)

You would either need to get a job in a UK company that has a site in the US and do an inter company transfer when or if you get to around middle/upper management with enough skills, which would take quite a number of years. Or you could do the "marry an American" route, but do that for love, not for the visa, or it could backfire big time. I don't know whether you are young enough to volunteer at a summer camp, working with kids and getting accomodation and food and some time at the end of that to travel in the US. The spaces are likely taken up for this year, but there is always next year.

Bob Jun 27th 2012 5:47 pm

match.com

Study in the US

If you were born in Ireland, the lottery.

Without any degree, chances are very slim and even if you did get here, it'd be a struggle to get any kind of work.

christmasoompa Jun 27th 2012 5:48 pm

Yep, it's going to be tough from what you've said. 3 options that I can see - marry a USC, go and get a degree in the US, or work your way up in the UK in a multi-national company and then transfer. Any option is going to be a long term plan though.

Failing that, how about Canada or another country i.e. somewhere in the EU where no visa will be required?

Here are your visa options for the US, have a look and tell us if you think any of them would be an option for you - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways%3A_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Good luck.

Steve_ Jun 27th 2012 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10142673)
If you were born in Ireland, the lottery.

It's not just where you're born, it's where you apply from. Have this all the time here in Canada, doesn't matter where you were born, the lottery is never held in Canada. And extremely rarely in the UK.

designo2 Jun 27th 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks for all your info and advice! I knew that the visa situation would be difficult, I didn't realise how difficult though.
I'd thought about doing a Camp America or Bunac type thing to try it out for a few months, but I don't qualify for them as I'm no longer a student.

I guess Chicago will have to just be a holiday location. :)

Noorah101 Jun 27th 2012 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10142852)
It's not just where you're born, it's where you apply from. Have this all the time here in Canada, doesn't matter where you were born, the lottery is never held in Canada. And extremely rarely in the UK.

I disagree. If one is born in a qualifying country, one can apply for the DV lottery, no matter what country they are currently living in. Even if they are currently in the USA (for example on an H1B visa)!

When it comes time for the visa interview, it will be held outside the USA (or outside Canada), most likely back in their home country, if there is a US Embassy there.

Rene

scrubbedexpat027 Jun 28th 2012 12:23 am

Originally Posted by designo2 (Post 10142863)

What everyone has told you is correct and it can be very difficult to get yourself into a position where you're eligible for a US visa.

However, you need to decide how badly you want it, and if you want it badly enough there is always a way.

I had many people tell me along the way that it wouldn't be possible. It took many years of work experience and college but I'm here now and I love it :D

Brando Jun 28th 2012 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by designo2 (Post 10142863)

And what a fine destination it is :) A really great city to visit.

Mind you, go there in the middle of winter for a few weeks, it might put you off wanting to live there ;)