Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to the USA but not sure where.

Wanting to move to the USA but not sure where.

Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

danicheng is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Wanting to move to the USA but not sure where.

Hi All,

I have had the desire to move away from the UK to find work elsewhere and I want to explore America. Reason being is because of the first language being English which would mean day to day communication would be fine.

To give you a background of my career I am 24 and work as a Buyer in Procurement for a Japanese manufacturing company in Scotland. So my question is what is the best state in America for manufacturing business as this is where my procurement experiences lye.

I have also thought about Singapore and Hong Kong as I am Chinese and fluent in Cantonese but do not read or write Chinese which is making it difficult to find something. However it would be my ultimate dream to move there.

Would appreciate any pointers on what state is the best for procurement or have an abundance of manufacturing firms.

Kind Regards
Daniel
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to the USA but not sure where.

I'd say there a pockets of industrialization in probably every state in the US. Some more specific for say automotive manufacturing etc.

Does the company you currently work for have offices in the US? Or even a direct competitor in the US that you're aware of?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danicheng
Hi All,

I have had the desire to move away from the UK to find work elsewhere and I want to explore America. Reason being is because of the first language being English which would mean day to day communication would be fine.

To give you a background of my career I am 24 and work as a Buyer in Procurement for a Japanese manufacturing company in Scotland. So my question is what is the best state in America for manufacturing business as this is where my procurement experiences lye.

I have also thought about Singapore and Hong Kong as I am Chinese and fluent in Cantonese but do not read or write Chinese which is making it difficult to find something. However it would be my ultimate dream to move there.

Would appreciate any pointers on what state is the best for procurement or have an abundance of manufacturing firms.

Kind Regards
Daniel
Welcome to BE. Firstly you need to have a read of this article..

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

However, as this is a forum for BRITISH expats you may find that being Chinese does open up other possibilities, but you do need to get a visa before deciding anything else.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 4:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I won't worry about where to move to in the US but HOW to obtain a visa to move and work in the US. You don't appear to be in a field that would be eligible for a work visa.

Mikelinc gave you a link for you to check your eligibility for a visa.

While the majority of our membership is British, BritishExpats is open to all nationalities and you are more than welcome to ask questions and research options.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 20th 2018 at 4:22 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which State does your Employer have operations in?
Old Mar 21st 2018, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply.

I was born in the UK and have obtained my degree here aswell. But my parents are Chinese hence why I speak Cantonese.

I would only move based on having a job waiting on the other side, so I was thinking of obtaining a working visa that way. I know it is a long shot however being in the UK with no drive (despite loving my job) is bringing me down. I just need to have that little bit of hope of being able to further my career and build everything around that in a different place. I know there is a lot to think about along with securing a job but for now my main focus is securing something then dealing with everything else that comes along with it.

I want to be able to focus on a specific area in USA where opportunities are more abundant in my field of work and where there is potential to further my career in Procurement.

My Employer has operations in Vancouver (USA one) and also in Japan - so for me that could be a potential to transfer however I would more likely want to be based on the New York side because of time differences to the UK and also accessible direct flights back to the homeland.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply.

I was born in the UK and have obtained my degree here aswell. But my parents are Chinese hence why I speak Cantonese.

I would only move based on having a job waiting on the other side, so I was thinking of obtaining a working visa that way. I know it is a long shot however being in the UK with no drive (despite loving my job) is bringing me down. I just need to have that little bit of hope of being able to further my career and build everything around that in a different place. I know there is a lot to think about along with securing a job but for now my main focus is securing something then dealing with everything else that comes along with it.

I want to be able to focus on a specific area in USA where opportunities are more abundant in my field of work and where there is potential to further my career in Procurement.

My Employer has operations in Vancouver (USA one) and also in Japan - so for me that could be a potential to transfer however I would more likely want to be based on the New York side because of time differences to the UK and also accessible direct flights back to the homeland.
Your first port of call would be the link in post #3
Old Mar 21st 2018, 2:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to bear in mind is that patience is a necessary ingredient in your endeavors to obtain a visa to work and live in the US.

As you have an employer with an office in the US, regardless of the fact that you don't care to live and work in that particular city, it is a major stepping stone in your quest if they are willing to transfer you on an L-1 visa and they are willing to sponsor you for a green card along with the transfer.

While some find it unethical, the majority of people who obtain their green card through this employment process will up and quit their employment as soon as they have their shiny card in their hands and I'm not sure if this can be done, they might leave while the green card process is pending and they have their employment authorization document in hand.

Does your company transfer employees to the US for work on L visas?

The sponsoring of you for a green card is not part of the L visa process. It is a perk for you if your employer is willing to sponsor you for permanent residency and not all employers are willing to do so because they are aware that the likelihood of the employee leaving the company asa they can is high. But if you are good at your job and have value, you might have a bargaining chip to use to get them to sponsor you. The downside is you have to live and work in an area that you don't want to be but sometimes you have to give a little to gain a lot.

Last edited by Rete; Mar 21st 2018 at 2:16 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

I would concentrate on getting a transfer, the more requirements you add the harder it will be.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
One thing to bear in mind is that patience is a necessary ingredient in your endeavors to obtain a visa to work and live in the US.

As you have an employer with an office in the US, regardless of the fact that you don't care to live and work in that particular city, it is a major stepping stone in your quest if they are willing to transfer you on an L-1 visa and they are willing to sponsor you for a green card along with the transfer.

While some find it unethical, the majority of people who obtain their green card through this employment process will up and quit their employment as soon as they have their shiny card in their hands and I'm not sure if this can be done, they might leave while the green card process is pending and they have their employment authorization document in hand.

Does your company transfer employees to the US for work on L visas?

The sponsoring of you for a green card is not part of the L visa process. It is a perk for you if your employer is willing to sponsor you for permanent residency and not all employers are willing to do so because they are aware that the likelihood of the employee leaving the company asa they can is high. But if you are good at your job and have value, you might have a bargaining chip to use to get them to sponsor you. The downside is you have to live and work in an area that you don't want to be but sometimes you have to give a little to gain a lot.
Thanks for your reply. I would love to get a transfer to another plant in America. However it is building the courage to speak to my employer about this and negotiating a move is my worry because I am not sure how likely this is.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Thanks for your reply. I would love to get a transfer to another plant in America. However it is building the courage to speak to my employer about this and negotiating a move is my worry because I am not sure how likely this is.
Well there won't be any likelihood if you don't give it a try, you have nothing to lose, and possibly a lot to gain.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Well there won't be any likelihood if you don't give it a try, you have nothing to lose, and possibly a lot to gain.
I know what you mean. However it is the fear of them saying no and their suspicions of me wanting to leave in pursuit to working in a different country.

It is definitely an option to get around this thought.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean. However it is the fear of them saying no and their suspicions of me wanting to leave in pursuit to working in a different country.

I asked my employer a few times to transfer me to the office we had in CA. (They knew my fiancé was in the US) and they said no every time due to being burned by people they transferred before leaving once they had their green cards.

At that point I made it fairly clear I’d be looking to go down the family based route to be with her and they were understanding, it certainly didn’t change their attitude towards me. I know each employer is different but as others have said you have an awful lot to gain by asking.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:53 pm
Concierge

Well before asking it would wise to do a little research on whether or not your skillset is open to the L visa. Then determine if your company utilizes the L visa for sending employees to the US. I'm far from full conversant in what the requirements are and would suggest that you read up on the L visa on the USCIS website, the US Embassy London website and reading and questioning here in the forum.
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

How are you going to get a move without asking?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.