British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Wanting to move to the USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/wanting-move-usa-684341/)

Tomsteels123 Sep 6th 2010 9:46 pm

Wanting to move to the USA

Hey
I want to move to the USA permananlty sometime in the future and although this may seem a stupid question i want to see what you guys think.
How much do you guys estimate it will cost to move to the USA, i plan to work not treat it like a holiday and i plan to rent an appartment if it is possible so what do you think the Price line would be. (In dollars)
Appologies if you think this is a stupid question but oh well.

Poppy girl Sep 6th 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Wanting to move to the USA

Originally Posted by Tomsteels123 (Post 8830466)
Hey
I want to move to the USA permananlty sometime in the future and although this may seem a stupid question i want to see what you guys think.
How much do you guys estimate it will cost to move to the USA, i plan to work not treat it like a holiday and i plan to rent an appartment if it is possible so what do you think the Price line would be. (In dollars)

What Visa do you qualify for!

You could start here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA ;)

mikehope Sep 6th 2010 10:01 pm

Too many variables to answer your question.
Where do you plan on living?
What size property are you looking for?

Tomsteels123 Sep 6th 2010 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by mikehope (Post 8830499)
Too many variables to answer your question.
Where do you plan on living?
What size property are you looking for?

Im not sure where im going to live i plan on living in a small apartment until im fully on my feet if you know what i mean

Bob Sep 6th 2010 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tomsteels123 (Post 8830509)
Im not sure where im going to live i plan on living in a small apartment until im fully on my feet if you know what i mean

Read that wiki link, if you can't answer yes to one of those questions, it's not going to really happen.

Also you don't say what you do for work and qualifications are, that'll make a big difference to your chances of a visa, where work might be and thus where you might end up living.

Stuff like type of apartment at this point is meaningless.

Welcome to BE and good luck though :)

dunroving Sep 6th 2010 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tomsteels123 (Post 8830509)

You didn't answer the earlier question regarding what visa you will apply for. Read the link provided, as it's not just as simple as booking a one-way plane ticket and saying I'm a decent, hardworking guy with a cute English accent ...

Tomsteels123 Sep 6th 2010 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8830593)
You didn't answer the earlier question regarding what visa you will apply for. Read the link provided, as it's not just as simple as booking a one-way plane ticket and saying I'm a decent, hardworking guy with a cute English accent ...

Yeah i know that lol but i just wanted som guide prices, i know what its going to take to get in i just want to know what you guys thik about price.

lansbury Sep 6th 2010 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Tomsteels123 (Post 8830596)
Yeah i know that lol but i just wanted som guide prices, i know what its going to take to get in i just want to know what you guys thik about price.

I think the price of the visa is quite reasonable. :rofl:

As to price of getting here well as we know nothing about you or where you want to live or the life style you expect to achieve how can we answer. For my life style and what I want out of life about $2M in cash might have got me a start in New York but I manged to get what I wanted for a good bit less in Oregon.

E3only Sep 6th 2010 11:57 pm

What is your profession?
Do you have a degree?
Experience?
Marrying a USC?
How old are you and what is your research on the subject matter?
Do you know the difficulties involved?

Poppy girl Sep 7th 2010 12:04 am

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8830658)
What is your profession?
Do you have a degree?
Experience?
Marrying a USC?
How old are you and what is your research on the subject matter?
Do you know the difficulties involved?

It could be a bluff but with a user name like Tomsteels it makes me wonder his age, I keep thinking of Tommy Steele and he is ancient if not dead!!

Or it could be a ex member of BE playing up on labor day ;)

Duncan Roberts Sep 7th 2010 12:29 am

Since you don't want to answer questions there is not much people can answer. Until you clarify more, I think a figure of $1.5-2million might get you a visa, a place to stay and some basic utilities and essentials. Maybe more depending on where you want to go.

fatbrit Sep 7th 2010 1:54 am

Hey

Here you go: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/apa/1939234347.html

Not the best area of town.....but there you go!

Daily flights from London direct, and it'll be less than $30 for a cab ride from the airport to your new home.

Just watch out for Arpaio's sweeps -- unless you look good in pink underwear.

Poppy girl Sep 7th 2010 2:08 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 8830812)
Here you go: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/apa/1939234347.html

Not the best area of town.....but there you go!

Daily flights from London direct, and it'll be less than $30 for a cab ride from the airport to your new home.

Just watch out for Arpaio's sweeps -- unless you look good in pink underwear.

:rofl:

dunroving Sep 7th 2010 9:34 am

I don't think you do - you haven't given any indication at all that you know the process and so IMO you are wasting people's time. Lots of people on here give up hours of their time giving free advice to others who want the same dream and have done their homework whereas you seem to be treating this as a teen chat room.

Sorry to be so blunt but if you can't get over the first hurdle of showing serious intent rather than teen fantasy you won't be settling in the States any time soon.

ian-mstm Sep 7th 2010 1:33 pm

How much do you guys estimate it will cost to move to the USA

Let's see... about $500 for the plane fare, and perhaps another $1000 or so to ship your stuff. If you travel lightly, it'll be less.

... i plan to work
Not without a visa... nope!

... i plan to rent an appartment
Be prepared to spend anything from $100/month for a flea trap in a barrio in East LA... up to $7000/month for something on NYC's upper west side. Since we don't know where you want to live or how much money you have (which will depend on what sort of work you do, which will depend on the sort of visa you get), it's hard to give anything more concrete. You do know that the US is 40x the size of the entire UK, right? I mean... that's a lot of real estate to choose from!

I don't necessarily think it's a stupid question... but unless you qualify for a visa, it's nothing but a waste of time for you and us.

Ian