Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Unfortunately that is all very true, California has become difficult if one is a low income earner. The Hi Tech industries have been a mixed blessing. High income workers have driven up home prices, service job wages have been left behind, yet there is opposition to providing a descent living wage for service workers.
The manufacturing companies I previously worked for have all moved out of State. All my neighbors are either retired long term residents who own their home, new or Asian Immigrants.

Very similiar happening in Vancouver with tech companies moving it, great for tech workers, not so great for everyone else due to the increase in housing and general cost of living, your average Vancouver worker doesn't make tech level wages.

Cost of living and low wages seems to be an issue up and down the west coast of North America.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Very similiar happening in Vancouver with tech companies moving it, great for tech workers, not so great for everyone else due to the increase in housing and general cost of living, your average Vancouver worker doesn't make tech level wages.

Cost of living and low wages seems to be an issue up and down the west coast of North America.
At least with Covid many tech workers can work from home and it will probably become the norm in the future. These tech companies might reduce office size or actually question if it makes sense to stay in expensive cities. This also means they can reduce wages in the future and many employees want to move out of the city anyway. It seems the suburb is becoming the new centre. I was watching an interesting programme about New York and since Covid many no longer see the advantage of staying there. Here also an article

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/n...ng-demand.html

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 2nd 2020 at 9:26 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say, I freakin love my little part of California. I have world class Motorsport and golf on my doorstep (2 of my biggest passions), amazing scenery just down the road with Big Sur and the Pacific Highway, weather is great (rarely gets below 50 or above 75, although everyone is panicking as it’s forecast to hit a balmy, for here, 85 LOL). There is a bit of entitlement, which gets on my tits. And the cost of housing here is skyrocketing. With C19, and people starting to work from home, possibly permanently, people are moving down from the Bay Area in droves. I think if we lived in any other part of the US, we’d be living like bloody kings!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 2:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
At least with Covid many tech workers can work from home and it will probably become the norm in the future. These tech companies might reduce office size or actually question if it makes sense to stay in expensive cities. This also means they can reduce wages in the future and many employees want to move out of the city anyway. It seems the suburb is becoming the new centre. I was watching an interesting programme about New York and since Covid many no longer see the advantage of staying there. Here also an article

Hopefully it helps Vancouver a bit if work from home becomes widespread.

Vancouver is the "cheaper" alternative for tech companies in part because well people will work for lower wages in Vancouver and the exchange rate with the US dollar helps companies, why pay someone 140k US when you can pay someone 90K CAD to do the same job.

Amazon has leased basically an entire office building in downtown Vancouver, something like 5,000 people will work there, how many are locals and Canadian's who knows.

Old Sep 3rd 2020, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Have to say, I freakin love my little part of California. I have world class Motorsport and golf on my doorstep (2 of my biggest passions), amazing scenery just down the road with Big Sur and the Pacific Highway, weather is great (rarely gets below 50 or above 75, although everyone is panicking as it’s forecast to hit a balmy, for here, 85 LOL). There is a bit of entitlement, which gets on my tits. And the cost of housing here is skyrocketing. With C19, and people starting to work from home, possibly permanently, people are moving down from the Bay Area in droves. I think if we lived in any other part of the US, we’d be living like bloody kings!!!
I'd would have thought housing in Monterey would be comparable to the Bay Area. Carmel way higher.

Last edited by johnwoo; Sep 3rd 2020 at 3:15 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 5:04 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Fair play to you but never forget that all these opportunities for wealthy newcomers like yourself have created many other problems for true locals, or at least people who have made what you see as paradise today.
https://calmatters.org/california-di...ng-california/
It's all about the balance and the gardener, nurse, delivery driver still needs somewhere to live.
I wish I was wealthy! My wife and I work in the public sector, we worked our arses off for years, made sensible decisions and have done okay.
I agree, a society needs folks at all levels to participate and function, but what exactly counts as a 'true local'?
(Perhaps my wife, who is born and raised from here? But her family migrated to California - much like everyone else's...)

This is by no means a 'California' problem. I'm a Londoner and never had a snowball's chance of owning a decent place in a nice area. By the way, never considered myself a 'true local' there, either, even though I was born there and lived there for 30 years. London, like many parts of California, attracts talent and ambitious folks from around the world - and has prospered accordingly.
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I wish I was wealthy! My wife and I work in the public sector, we worked our arses off for years, made sensible decisions and have done okay.
I agree, a society needs folks at all levels to participate and function, but what exactly counts as a 'true local'?
(Perhaps my wife, who is born and raised from here? But her family migrated to California - much like everyone else's...)

This is by no means a 'California' problem. I'm a Londoner and never had a snowball's chance of owning a decent place in a nice area. By the way, never considered myself a 'true local' there, either, even though I was born there and lived there for 30 years. London, like many parts of California, attracts talent and ambitious folks from around the world - and has prospered accordingly.
There's nothing wrong with that and by making sensible decisions you deserve what you achieved today. Your wife would certainly be a true local if born there and what I mean is those people who came with nothing and basically made the place what it is today. Not everybody was lucky to be able to buy a property and I can understand their frustration when suddenly in their eyes wealthy people come and price them out + many in the tech industry just live their life and don't care about culture, heritage etc.
As you say, this is not only a problem in California and you can even see the same in Spain. We are also far from wealthy but managed to buy a plot and build a small holiday home there, so maybe some locals aren't happy. At least in the area there is still enough cheaper land and tourism is the only real industry, so most people don't see us as a threat. This is different in cities like Barcelona or islands like Mallorca, when locals are priced out completely (A bit like London maybe).

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 3rd 2020 at 7:58 am.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The reason the Bay Area is so successful from a 'tech' perspective is due to some weird elements of 'critical mass'. There are so many tech companies and tech-heads here, they spin off new companies all the time. I've experienced it myself. When a new company with a great idea starts up, they locate themselves smack in the middle of the most expensive place on earth ... why? Because that's where they can hire the best, most experienced people, and also people they already know and worked with at other companies. Not long ago Walmart decided they wanted to compete in the online marketplace space, so they opened a huge tech office in Sunnyvale (part of Silicon Valley). This is a company headquartered in Arkansas ... possibly the definition of 'affordable'. Facebook started on the east coast, but moved to SV because of the need for talent.

If, indeed, Covid causes everyone to start working from home, the whole 'critical mass' thing could change.

Last edited by Steerpike; Sep 4th 2020 at 12:30 am.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I'd would have thought housing in Monterey would be comparable to the Bay Area. Carmel way higher.
It’s expensive down here, but I don’t think we are at Bay Area levels, at least not the nicer areas. I guess areas like Concord and Pittsburg are a little cheaper.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
It reopened the day we left LA but the tone of the official reports and uncertain weather caused a feeling of discretion being the better part of valor. We changed our overnight from Vail to Rawlins (we did not overnight in any large city). Took I-15 up to Provo and cut over to I-80 avoiding Salt Lake. (BTW, Hammond/Gary Indiana made LA freeways in rush hour look good).
Long way north, looks like I will be going to LA sometime over the winter but direct route is though 4 Corners and Las Vegas, not as far as I thought, never been South of Hurst Castle so will be interesting to see if the reality matched the hype.

Certainly will be significantly warmer, first snow due Tuesday.

Old Sep 4th 2020, 2:27 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Long way north, looks like I will be going to LA sometime over the winter but direct route is though 4 Corners and Las Vegas, not as far as I thought, never been South of Hurst Castle so will be interesting to see if the reality matched the hype.

Certainly will be significantly warmer, first snow due Tuesday.
Shortest route from Denver area is I-70 East and then I-15 South. Around San Bernardino/Riverside connect with appropriate eastbound road (I-210, I-10, CA 60).

Good midway stop is in Cedar City or St. George UT.

Going via 4 Corners is longer but avoids Las Vegas.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Sep 4th 2020 at 2:32 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2020, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Shortest route from Denver area is I-70 East and then I-15 South. Around San Bernardino/Riverside connect with appropriate eastbound road (I-210, I-10, CA 60).

Good midway stop is in Cedar City or St. George UT.

Going via 4 Corners is longer but avoids Las Vegas.
I am south west of Denver so skews the numbers slightly, probably the weather will determine which route, getting over the passes.