Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Old Aug 30th 2020, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I think the US has as much variety of climate as any country. We are all limited by our distance from the sun. If you like cold there’s Nome and Pt Barrow, hot and damp try south Florida, hot and dry there’s Death Valley and surrounding area. There is also Hawaii, Guam. How many climate zones are available just in the state of California alone? I for one have no interest in the beach.
People don't need that kind of variety. The point is that for such a huge place, you only really have California that offers a type of Med climate that most retired people seek and one of the reasons why it's so expensive. The majority are looking for forest, beach, lakes, mountains close by with a not so cold winter. Maybe include Hawaii but again bloody expensive (remote) and Florida also too humid for many and not much variety. Your average earner can hardly afford retirement in California near the beach. At least in Europe there seems to be more affordable places with a similar feel , be it Spain, Portugal, parts of France/Italy and very easy and cheap to get to from Northern Europe (including the islands). Then you also have Croatia, Montenegro, Greece etc. and although some parts poor, never as rough as the US.

Last edited by Moses2013; Aug 30th 2020 at 6:04 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I think the US has as much variety of climate as any country. We are all limited by our distance from the sun. If you like cold there’s Nome and Pt Barrow, hot and damp try south Florida, hot and dry there’s Death Valley and surrounding area. There is also Hawaii, Guam. How many climate zones are available just in the state of California alone? I for one have no interest in the beach.
Highest and lowest points in the lower 48 are within 100 miles of each other (Death Valley, Mt Whitney) so, yes, massive differences in climate in just California.

I'm not interest in beaches either, so northern California works for me. You'd need a wetsuit to swim very long in the ocean here. I do, however, love dramatic coastlines, so that's another reason this areas works for me.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Highest and lowest points in the lower 48 are within 100 miles of each other (Death Valley, Mt Whitney) so, yes, massive differences in climate in just California.

I'm not interest in beaches either, so northern California works for me. You'd need a wetsuit to swim very long in the ocean here. I do, however, love dramatic coastlines, so that's another reason this areas works for me.
I have spent a fair amount of time in California myself. Was in USAF at Vandenberg in late 60’s. I can remember some higher ranking married enlisted buy houses in Santa Maria for 15-18k. I did enjoy the climate. I can tolerate any climate except very long very cold winters. The SE is fine for me.The humidity is not a year around concern. There are so many factors to consider when retiring besides weather and most people in my opinion enter without a good plan on how they are going to be spending their time.
Old Aug 30th 2020, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This is why I like So. California, can be at the ocean in the morning, mountains or desert 2 hours later (or less depending what desert your going to and what city on the coast you start from.)

Old Aug 31st 2020, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

I would also add that isn't only economic and logistical considerations, you've also got to factor in the attitudes of the people that you'll be surrounding yourself with.

I've done a lot of work in Alabama and Georgia particularly and have met some great people there, but overall I think I would struggle more in those places to find like-minded people that would share my world view than I would in a tech-centric area of California.

I'm currently in Orlando and while its better than most places in Florida in terms of diversity and open-mindedness, I still do struggle to find an abundance of people that are on the same level and I find myself having to avoid certain topics of conversation with a lot of friends.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
I would also add that isn't only economic and logistical considerations, you've also got to factor in the attitudes of the people that you'll be surrounding yourself with.

I've done a lot of work in Alabama and Georgia particularly and have met some great people there, but overall I think I would struggle more in those places to find like-minded people that would share my world view than I would in a tech-centric area of California.

I'm currently in Orlando and while its better than most places in Florida in terms of diversity and open-mindedness, I still do struggle to find an abundance of people that are on the same level and I find myself having to avoid certain topics of conversation with a lot of friends.

Very good point.

Old Sep 1st 2020, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
This is why I like So. California, can be at the ocean in the morning, mountains or desert 2 hours later (or less depending what desert your going to and what city on the coast you start from.)

Certainly pros but I think reality is often very different. Many people don't seem to have time or cash to take a 2 hour trip and this is not just the case in California.
They might do it a few times a year but even here in Europe those from the cities are paying so much rent and might not even have a car, or let's say they feel 2 hours is very far (That's what I noticed). I suppose with work from home becoming the norm in some trades, people will rethink if paying a few 100.000 more for property in the city is really worth it. Then again even 30 mins drive from the coast, California is pricey enough. Oregon seems to have a good balance in parts. The problem remains that those from the North who aren't super wealthy and would like to retire somewhere cheaper with an all year pleasant climate near the ocean and mountains don't really have that many choices in the US (Apart from CA or FL which is flat). And then you either have earthquakes or hurricanes.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 1st 2020 at 11:15 am.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 12:02 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I am posting from Western New York having just taken six days to drive 2600 miles from Los Angeles. The reason for the drive was COVID which for us precluded flying, sit-in dining and other activities. Curb-side meal delivery and picnics it was.

Because of a major fire in Colorado blocking I-70, we looped up to Wyoming.

The US is varied and beautiful.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

I have been a way for a while, and have not read the entirety of this thread. Is this Adrian Peterson in disguise?

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 1:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I 70 opened a week? ago. Fires were bad but we have had a few days now when there has been rain. 30 something this morning, Autumn is coming.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 1:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If my circumstances were different I would try So Cal for sure. All year round mild/hot climate...Pacific Ocean...
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 1:42 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I 70 opened a week? ago. Fires were bad but we have had a few days now when there has been rain. 30 something this morning, Autumn is coming.
It reopened the day we left LA but the tone of the official reports and uncertain weather caused a feeling of discretion being the better part of valor. We changed our overnight from Vail to Rawlins (we did not overnight in any large city). Took I-15 up to Provo and cut over to I-80 avoiding Salt Lake. (BTW, Hammond/Gary Indiana made LA freeways in rush hour look good).
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 5:10 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

To each their own, and the argument has been done to death but I've been in California for six years now, and I love it! You can bury me here it's paradise! (Or at least, sprinkle my ashes down by the bocas on Imperial Beach, but I digress.)

California is an economic and technology-centered powerhouse. Opportunities abound in tons of different industries, and I'm proud to be a Californian. (And yes, I'm happy for you if you prefer another part of the country, too .)

Old Sep 2nd 2020, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by username.exe
To each their own, and the argument has been done to death but I've been in California for six years now, and I love it! You can bury me here it's paradise! (Or at least, sprinkle my ashes down by the bocas on Imperial Beach, but I digress.)

California is an economic and technology-centered powerhouse. Opportunities abound in tons of different industries, and I'm proud to be a Californian. (And yes, I'm happy for you if you prefer another part of the country, too .)
Fair play to you but never forget that all these opportunities for wealthy newcomers like yourself have created many other problems for true locals, or at least people who have made what you see as paradise today.
https://calmatters.org/california-di...ng-california/
It's all about the balance and the gardener, nurse, delivery driver still needs somewhere to live.

Last edited by Moses2013; Sep 2nd 2020 at 8:41 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Fair play to you but never forget that all these opportunities for wealthy newcomers like yourself have created many other problems for true locals, or at least people who have made what you see as paradise today.
https://calmatters.org/california-di...ng-california/
It's all about the balance and the gardener, nurse, delivery driver still needs somewhere to live.
Unfortunately that is all very true, California has become difficult if one is a low income earner. The Hi Tech industries have been a mixed blessing. High income workers have driven up home prices, service job wages have been left behind, yet there is opposition to providing a decent living wage for service workers.
The manufacturing companies I previously worked for have all moved out of State. All my neighbors are either retired long term residents who own their home, new or Asian Immigrants.

Last edited by johnwoo; Sep 2nd 2020 at 8:45 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.