Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Old Aug 27th 2020, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But none of us in CA are being willful and stubborn about your life in the rural south east. This was never a thread about life in the rural southwest and my brief comment about church was qualified clearly as follows: "Obviously that's hearsay as I haven't lived there". The comment about dry counties seems to have been confirmed by at least two posters.

Your comment "does not offer a significantly different quality of life you can find in the SE" is entirely subjective, depending on your personal desires. If you want space, privacy, a big place to park vehicles, access to guns, low cost of living, then it's obviously appealing. I don't want or need a lot of land, I've downsized to 1400 sq ft of living space voluntarily, but I love the fact I can visit a wide range of 'ethnic' restaurants, that my neighbors come from all over the world, that gays are treated as equals, that planned parenthood operates without challenge, and so on. I've spent at least 50% of my time over the past 10 years in Scottsdale, which in many regards is probably similar to the 'South East' from a political, cultural and cost standpoint, and ... let's just say I love it for the scenery, hiking and the winter weather, but not much else; which is why I abandoned my plan to relocate there permanently despite the numerous advantages.
Now I know why we get so many Californians moving here. For $1.2 mn you can buy a nice 3000 sqft house on a 7000 sqft lot in Portland.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Now I know why we get so many Californians moving here. For $1.2 mn you can buy a nice 3000 sqft house on a 7000 sqft lot in Portland.
WTF is a "7,000 sqft lot"??? That is about 1/6 of an acre!

For $1.2million you could buy ten or more acres round here, perhaps as many as 50 acres, and still have $500k left over to build a custom home. The same money could buy you a pretty fancy home in Charlotte or a really nice lake-front home in one of the several lakes in central-western NC or in SC.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
But none of us in CA are being willful and stubborn about your life in the rural south east. ....
Yes you are. ... Not you personally, well, not wholly you.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
WTF is a "7,000 sqft lot"??? That is about 1/6 of an acre!

For $1.2million you could buy ten or more acres round here, perhaps as many as 50 acres, and still have $500k left over to build a custom home. The same money could buy you a pretty fancy home in Charlotte or a really nice lake-front home in one of the several lakes in central-western NC or in SC.
But you don't have Salt 'n' Straw ice cream or Voodoo donuts in Charlotte or the possibility of being prepared for when the big one hits. That is something that you have to get used to on the West coast, earthquake drills..
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The same money could buy you a pretty fancy home in Charlotte or a really nice lake-front home in one of the several lakes in central-western NC or in SC.

Which, of course, unfortunately doesn't mitigate the fact that one is still in NC or SC . . ..
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly you have confirmed the views expressed, that Califormia is horrendously expensive and does not offer a significantly different quality of life you can find in the SE, and I am tired of trying to correct the wilful and stubborn refusal to accept on-the ground info about life in the rural south east. Yes, there are churches, but if you ignore them they might as well not be there.

Some people seem to have taken their cultural references from Deliverance, and it is quite frankly ridiculous that stereotypes about dry countries and KKK meetings are being offered by people who do lot live here as serious points for discussion!
You might do well to reflect on that thought.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by johnwoo
You might do well to reflect on that thought.
Er. most of my posts are supported by the posts and opinions of those in California, not contrary to them - high taxes, high cost of living, high population density. I don't think I have been making random, ill-founded assertions based on 50+ year old movies filmed in California.

And you are among the worst offenders, repeatedly posting utter BS, entirely unsupported by current situational evidence, because apparently you "don't like" an area which you clearly have little or no recent experience of.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2020 at 7:55 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly you have confirmed the views expressed, that Califormia is horrendously expensive and does not offer a significantly different quality of life you can find in the SE, and I am tired of trying to correct the wilful and stubborn refusal to accept on-the ground info about life in the rural south east. Yes, there are churches, but if you ignore them they might as well not be there.

Some people seem to have taken their cultural references from Deliverance, and it is quite frankly ridiculous that stereotypes about dry countries and KKK meetings are being offered by people who do lot live here as serious points for discussion!
All you've done is confirm that people who don't live in a particular state/area aren't exactly the best people to turn to to ask for advice about said area. By carefully ignoring all the positive things that various posters have mentioned about California, you are giving as jaundiced a view of it as you believe others have given about North Carolina. However, the irony in your posts is at least amusing if somewhat repetitive. So all is not lost.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
All you've done is confirm that people who don't live in a particular state/area aren't exactly the best people to turn to to ask for advice about said area. By carefully ignoring all the positive things that various posters have mentioned about California, you are giving as jaundiced a view of it as you believe others have given about North Carolina. However, the irony in your posts is at least amusing if somewhat repetitive. So all is not lost.
I don't think I have denied that there are positives to living in California, just that for me they are out weighed by the negatives, (cost of living, population density (in proximity to jobs), and high taxes) are well documented and supported by posts from residents of California above and elsewhere on BE.

My beef is with you and a small number of others, who are making negative statements about the South based largely on out-dated stereotypes that are not generally supported by actual on-the-ground experience.

To be clear, I don't care that you don't want to move to NC, and in fact I am rather glad that you don't, but please confine your criticisms of states you "don't like" to something that actually bears some resemblance to reality.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2020 at 8:06 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I have denied that there are positives to living in California, just that for me they are out weighed by the negatives, which are well documented and supported by posts from residents of California above and elsewhere on BE.

My beef is with you and a small number of others, who are making negative statements about the South based largely on out-dated stereotypes that are not generally supported by actual on-the-ground experience.

To be clear, I don't care that you don't want to move to NC, and in fact I am rather glad that you don't, but please confine your criticisms of states you "don't like" to something that actually bears some resemblance to reality.
As another poster said, "You might do well to reflect on that thought". I don't see one positive comment about California in your screed. But why would you have? You've never lived here and have no actual on-the-ground experience.

Oh, and here's a classic example of how messed up North Carolina politics is:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-his-successor

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 27th 2020 at 8:20 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the extreme gerrymandering which meant that in 2018 Republicans won 9/10 of the 13 House districts with only 50% of the vote and the Democrats won 3 with 48%.

Last edited by Olly_; Aug 27th 2020 at 8:34 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
As another poster said, "You might do well to reflect on that thought". I don't see one positive comment about California in your screed. But why would you have? You've never lived here and have no actual on-the-ground experience.

Oh, and here's a classic example of how messed up North Carolina politics is:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-his-successor
and I doubt you would see a QAnon march in California. Might be interesting to watch.
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/a-f...orth-carolina/
Old Aug 27th 2020, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Olly_
Don't forget the extreme gerrymandering which meant that in 2018 Republicans won 9 of the 13 House districts with only 50% of the vote and the Democrats won 3 with 48%.
North Carolina is also the place where there was actual mail-in voter fraud (from a Republican operative). Plus it's been at the forefront of voter suppression efforts.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 27th 2020 at 8:49 pm. Reason: Can't spell
Old Aug 27th 2020, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Er. most of my posts are supported by the posts and opinions of those in California, not contrary to them - high taxes, high cost of living, high population density. I don't think I have been making random, ill-founded assertions based on 50+ year old movies filmed in California.

And you are among the worst offenders, repeatedly posting utter BS, entirely unsupported by current situational evidence, because apparently you "don't like" an area which you clearly have little or no recent experience of.
Can you even point out where I have ever mentioned or disparaged any other State. Your the one that's spouting BS.
Namely "San Francisco is the laughing stock of the world." Just show me where I have stated anything similar.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't think I have denied that there are positives to living in California, just that for me they are out weighed by the negatives, (cost of living, population density (in proximity to jobs), and high taxes) are well documented and supported by posts from residents of California above and elsewhere on BE.

Your alter ego didn't fare to well in the South,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.