Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Old Aug 25th 2020, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Is being a woke place a bad thing, do you even know what it is?
Each to their own.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Each to their own.
Exactly. Sounds like Alabama is the right place for you. For me it's California or anywhere on the West Coast.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
OP should learn that dreams are just that - dreams.

In this case, the OP has a better chance than most who post here wanting to move here. There is at least a partner on the scene and the possibility of a PhD. That puts them in a better place than the average hairdresser/builder who posts after a Florida holiday, wanting to move here because they think we spend 52 weeks a year doing what they spent 2 weeks doing.
Old Aug 25th 2020, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steph0scope
In this case, the OP has a better chance than most who post here wanting to move here. There is at least a partner on the scene and the possibility of a PhD. That puts them in a better place than the average hairdresser/builder who posts after a Florida holiday, wanting to move here because they think we spend 52 weeks a year doing what they spent 2 weeks doing.
Certainly opportunities here, maybe not the chosen one.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

If I might be so bold as to ask, why do you have the desire to relocate to a state that fairly large numbers of Americans are leaving, and which you couldn't pay me enough money to persuade me to move there?
Since you've never lived there, why make such a prejudiced comment? I've lived in CA for almost 40 years now, and still love it. I thought I was going to leave a few years ago for somewhere with less tax, less crowds, less cost, but I'm back here and I couldn't be happier. The climate is better than anywhere else in the US, by most measures - low humidity and lots of sunshine, little rain. The terrain is beautiful, with a gorgeous coastline, lots of foothills, and the tallest mountains in the contiguous US. Plenty of lovely National Parks (eg, Yosemite). The current fire situation is very concerning, living costs are very high, and the homeless situation in the major cities sucks, so you can weigh those as the negatives. But - if you can figure out a way to afford it, I'd still say it's the best place to be in the US.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 11:26 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

But - if you can figure out a way to afford it, I'd still say it's the best place to be in the US.
Unless of course your political leaning is anywhere to the right of Karl Marx. I think it's a little liberal for 'most' people myself, but since I've never lived there, that's nothing but a stereotype on my part!
Old Aug 26th 2020, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter (40 next year - SHOCK!) has lived and worked in Louisiana, Texas, Washington State and California. She has been in California for 7 years now and absolutely loves it.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

I spent time in CA and assume that yes there are weird ares now, much worse than when I was there, but a bit like Colorado, all the crap going down in Denver is a world away from where most of us live and experience.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 4:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Since you've never lived there, why make such a prejudiced comment? I've lived in CA for almost 40 years now, and still love it. I thought I was going to leave a few years ago for somewhere with less tax, less crowds, less cost, but I'm back here and I couldn't be happier. The climate is better than anywhere else in the US, by most measures - low humidity and lots of sunshine, little rain. The terrain is beautiful, with a gorgeous coastline, lots of foothills, and the tallest mountains in the contiguous US. Plenty of lovely National Parks (eg, Yosemite). The current fire situation is very concerning, living costs are very high, and the homeless situation in the major cities sucks, so you can weigh those as the negatives. But - if you can figure out a way to afford it, I'd still say it's the best place to be in the US.
I don't need to live in Tokyo to know it wouldn't work for me. Same for LA and SF - the factors (i) - (iv) listed below are, IME broadly recognized even by people who live in California, but please correct me if I am wrong, and they are already the reasons that we left London, and New York - I kinda "grew into" London as I went to uni there, but eventually it grew to annoy me. I hoped New York would be different. It wasn't, it was a huge mistake, life there was utterly miserable - for reasons (i) - (iv) below. So why would I want to make the same mistake again? :confused.

Reasons, that I don't think are "prejudiced" in the perjorative sense, to not want to move to California are:

(i) crowding/ population density

(ii) cost of housing

(iii) cost and time of commuting (that would be required to mitigate (ii) - that is whty we left London, only to repeat the mistake in New York.

(iv) cost of living - direct costs of products and services, and related taxes - property, sales, and income.

(v) weather? I don't see that as an issue where I am, thank you - negliglble winters, minimal threats from wind or rain, and no threats from earthquakes, wild fires, floods, or mudslides.

(v) politics - city and state governments that seem to be more interested in making political gestures than running efficent city services. Of course if I wanted to experience such nonsense first hand I could move to Charlotte more easily than anywhere in CA. Perhaps you haven't noticed as you live there, but the recurring shenanigins in SF makes that city pretty much the laughing stock of the western world. I suspect that even if you don't agree with it, you might be able to ignore it, but it would drive me nuts!

I sincely doubt that my current quality of life could be replicated in CA no matter how much money I had to spend - a four bedroom house on several acres, mostly wooded, with a wide variety of animals that I can see from my window - everything from cardinals, woodpeckers, and hummingbirds to squirrels, raccons and deer, not to mention skinks, spring peepers (tree frogs), box turtles, and several species of harmless snakes, and many other feathered, furred, or scaly critters. So when I said "you couldn't pay me enough to move to California", you took it as a slight on California, which is, at most, only half the story - the other half is that I really wouldn't want to leave where I currently live, and that is no slight on anywhere else on the planet.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 26th 2020 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

(vi) NC has a Denver.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
(vi) NC has a Denver.
Ooops, I added another (v) ahead of politics, so Denver awould be (vii), but yes, we have one of those. Also a Dallas, a Washington, a Columbia, and a Salem; and then there's a Sheffield, a Manchester, a Macclesfield, a New London, and a Surry [sic], among many other familiar names, as well as two Clevelands and two Rockinghams!
Old Aug 26th 2020, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
(v) politics - city and state governments that seem to be more interested in making political gestures than running efficent city services. Of course if I wanted to experience such nonsense first hand I could move to Charlotte more easily than anywhere in CA. Perhaps you haven't noticed as you live there, but the recurring shenanigins in SF makes that city pretty much the laughing stock of the western world. I suspect that even if you don't agree with it, you might be able to ignore it, but it would drive me nuts!
Bingo, correct on all 6 statements. My "woke" statement which seemed to trigger referred to this.

BTW, I love Coastal CA - 4-5 days at a time. Live there? nope.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my reports works from home on the coast of Los Angeles. He works eastern time on the west coast. Gets out of bed at the crack of dawn, does his fantastic work, then hits the ocean at 1pm local time. He loves his lifestyle, and I can definitely see why, but it's not one for me.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Amusing that the negativity about California on this thread is coming from those that have never lived there and never intend to, whereas those that actually do live there are rather more positive about it. I mean, having never lived there, I wouldn't spend my time writing a long screed about what's wrong with North Carolina on a thread discussing someone's wish to move to that state. Of course, that was written by the poster who used to "shill" on here for the now-discredited Wells Fargo so I guess we should be thankful for small mercies or something.

Anyway, here's a view of (northern) California that I hope is a little more nuanced.

The two big downsides are cost and traffic. Everything costs more here and the traffic is awful (pre covid!). So if you cannot find employment with a salary commensurate to those costs, you're going to struggle, have a long commute, and likely be miserable here. Otoh, there are a bunch of positives. It's afforded me a range of work opportunities that I doubt I would have got elsewhere. It has a truly magnificent coastline. It gives me more hiking opportunities than any place I've ever lived. And the Sierra Nevada (think skiing, snowshoeing and hiking) is incomparable within the US (sorry, Rockies!). And, in SF, the range of art, music and culture on offer is neverending. For what I'm _personally_ interested in, this area provides more opportunities and interest than any other place I've lived in in either the UK or US. As for politics, I'm still not sure what "woke" means. But if, for example, it means actually doing something about climate change even in the face of the appalling denial and negative actions at the federal level, I'm all for California being "woke".

Last edited by Giantaxe; Aug 27th 2020 at 12:52 am.
Old Aug 27th 2020, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Amusing that the negativity about California on this thread is coming from those that have never lived there and never intend to, whereas those that actually do live there are rather more positive about it. I mean, having never lived there, I wouldn't spend my time writing a long screed about what's wrong with North Carolina on a thread discussing someone's wish to move to that state. Of course, that was written by the poster who used to "shill" on here for the now-discredited Wells Fargo so I guess we should be thankful for small mercies or something.

Anyway, here's a view of (northern) California that I hope is a little more nuanced.

The two big downsides are cost and traffic. Everything costs more here and the traffic is awful (pre covid!). So if you cannot find employment with a salary commensurate to those costs, you're going to struggle, have a long commute, and likely be miserable here. Otoh, there are a bunch of positives. It's afforded me a range of work opportunities that I doubt I would have got elsewhere. It has a truly magnificent coastline. It gives me more hiking opportunities than any place I've ever lived. And the Sierra Nevada (think skiing, snowshoeing and hiking) is incomparable within the US (sorry, Rockies!). And, in SF, the range of art, music and culture on offer is neverending. For what I'm _personally_ interested in, this area provides more opportunities and interest than any other place I've lived in in either the UK or US. As for politics, I'm still not sure what "woke" means. But if, for example, it means actually doing something about climate change even in the face of the appalling denial and negative actions at the federal level, I'm all for California being "woke".
I love the quote "S.F. is the laughing Stock of the world" The diversity of the people living and working here, and the large numbers of people that come from somewhere else would suggest otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.