Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Old Aug 22nd 2020, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

KatSueKurry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

I’m a qualified barrister in England currently working as a lecturer. My practice consists mainly of family work and I lecture in civil, family and advocacy.

I have a masters and several years PQE.

I’m looking at eventually moving to California but unsure on what I can do out there.

I understand that I can take the California bar exams but it’s unclear how easy it would be to secure employment thereafter.

After looking at lecturer posts, it seems that my qualifications may allow me to apply but, again, it’s not clear if my experience would be relevant.

I have experience teaching in secondary schools also, this might be an option?

Are any of these professions likely to be more open to a UK applicant than others?

Is there a shortage of jobs for any of these professions?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to move to California - what can I do there?

Fight fires?

Clean up poop from the streets?

Back to being serious on what basis can you move, are you a US Citizen, are you married to one, jobs hardly matter if you have no basis to move.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Fire or poop - choices, choices

I would be hoping to get a temporary, and eventually permanent, work visa. I’m a UK citizen, no family in the US and no other basis to move there on.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:11 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Good talk.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatSueKurry
Fire or poop - choices, choices

I would be hoping to get a temporary, and eventually permanent, work visa. I’m a UK citizen, no family in the US and no other basis to move there on.
You would have to find a US employer willing to pay thousands of dollars for your work visa, and with your skills and qualifications that seems unlikely to me.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why not find a position with a UK subsidiary of a US parent law firm. From there you can see if you transfer to one of their US offices. I don't know if this will work for an attorney who works with family law but perhaps you can take some additional classes for corporation law.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You would have to find a US employer willing to pay thousands of dollars for your work visa, and with your skills and qualifications that seems unlikely to me.

Rene

My former law firm did sponsor H-1B work visas for attorneys but you are correct not for the type of law this poster specializes in.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Yes that’s the trouble I had when looking into joining a UK based US firm, I’m not in the right area of law.

This is what put me off the California bar route - why would a firm choose a UK applicant with visa costs ahead of a US citizen.

I was hoping there might be a need for teachers or lecturers maybe?

I’ve also looked into doing further education, eg a phd, to at least experience living there for a short time but it doesn’t appear as though legal studies attracts any funding.

Old Aug 22nd 2020, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

You could apply for a student visa for your PhD. You will need to find everything yourself, unless you can get some kind of scholarship such as Fulbright.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that’s the trouble I had when looking into joining a UK based US firm, I’m not in the right area of law.

This is what put me off the California bar route - why would a firm choose a UK applicant with visa costs ahead of a US citizen.

I was hoping there might be a need for teachers or lecturers maybe?

I’ve also looked into doing further education, eg a phd, to at least experience living there for a short time but it doesn’t appear as though legal studies attracts any funding.
Why would California need a lecturer in British family law?

Sorry, but you have paddle your career canoe up a creek that does not lead to employment opportunities in the US.

If you sincerely want to pursue your pipe dream, then you are going to need to take several steps backwards onto a different track.

If I might be so bold as to ask, why do you have the desire to relocate to a state that fairly large numbers of Americans are leaving, and which you couldn't pay me enough money to persuade me to move there?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
You could apply for a student visa for your PhD. You will need to find everything yourself, unless you can get some kind of scholarship such as Fulbright.

If OP is genuinely interested in a PhD, this could be the most viable route. I imagine it will involve a big down-grade in lifestyle, though. US grad school can offer some really nice deals, funding-wise, but that is from the perspective of being a recent undergraduate. I don't know if a practicing barrister would find it comfortable, especially in the more desirable locations in California

Note: Fulbright funding usually involves you needing to leave the country afterwards, so watch out for that specifically. It is an outlier in that regard, though.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:23 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I’m a qualified barrister in England currently working as a lecturer. My practice consists mainly of family work and I lecture in civil, family and advocacy.

I have a masters and several years PQE.

I’m looking at eventually moving to California but unsure on what I can do out there.

I understand that I can take the California bar exams but it’s unclear how easy it would be to secure employment thereafter.

After looking at lecturer posts, it seems that my qualifications may allow me to apply but, again, it’s not clear if my experience would be relevant.

I have experience teaching in secondary schools also, this might be an option?

Are any of these professions likely to be more open to a UK applicant than others?

Is there a shortage of jobs for any of these professions?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you
I am retired but I sense possilities. But the adage about ways to skin a cat applies. I have experience with immigration of foreign lawyers, but no two cases have ever been the same.

Keherla Hodkinson is a California licensed immigration attorney practicing in London.

Bernard Wolfsdorf is another excellent attorney but in Santa Monica. (Bernie is an immigrant who has long accused me of “talking funny” but I digress).

You really want to consult with experienced immigration counsel.
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why would California need a lecturer in British family law?

Sorry, but you have paddle your career canoe up a creek that does not lead to employment opportunities in the US.

If you sincerely want to pursue your pipe dream, then you are going to need to take several steps backwards onto a different track.

If I might be so bold as to ask, why do you have the desire to relocate to a state that fairly large numbers of Americans are leaving, and which you couldn't pay me enough money to persuade me to move there?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

California looks so nice in the movies. Is that why foreigners decide they want to move there ?
Old Aug 22nd 2020, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
California looks so nice in the movies. Is that why foreigners decide they want to move there ?
Because it's in the movies. I suppose, the climate more than anything. Seriously, the innards (like closer to Vegas, tahoe innards) would actually appeal to me but the coastal area is really the only area with viable employment opportunities, and it's way overcrowded, overpriced, and overtaxed. And polluted. And woke places like SF are getting ridiculous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.