Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretaries?

Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretaries?

Old Aug 8th 2009, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretari

Originally Posted by made of kent
nurses are professional, more so than secretaries,
thats why I get upset about people describing themselves as nurses, imagine people saying I am DR John, when they haven't studied
I can't see a problem, personally - call yourself what you want. Different jobs have different requirements and you can't 'fake' the requirements when applying. If I want to go around saying I'm 'Dr Smith', more fool me. I have no reason to believe the OP is not what she says she is.

The broader issue I see, though, is the 'status' that people apply to positions and titles. You can have hard working secretaries who are phenomenally effective, and lazy, not-so-bright nurses. You are not automatically a more 'worthy' person because you have taken some classes or whatever.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:36 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to go over to Florida on a working Visa, is there much work for Secretari

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I can't see a problem, personally - call yourself what you want. Different jobs have different requirements and you can't 'fake' the requirements when applying. If I want to go around saying I'm 'Dr Smith', more fool me. I have no reason to believe the OP is not what she says she is.

The broader issue I see, though, is the 'status' that people apply to positions and titles. You can have hard working secretaries who are phenomenally effective, and lazy, not-so-bright nurses. You are not automatically a more 'worthy' person because you have taken some classes or whatever.
No I am not I agree, but being professional and being a professional are different as I tried to say before, I see daily professional people in shops, offices, bars, mail people, bus drivers.
but a professional can lose their job and if they F45k up also their licenses to practice, which is as it should be, and my few classes are
1990-1993 nurse training
1993-to present constant CPR, fire and customer service training once a year every year, added to by venipuncture, IVI, inoculation, bio terrorism, major incident, amongst a few things, I have so many certificates I am thinking of decorating a room with them!
1996-1997 adult education 7307? can't remember of the top of my head so I could teach nursing to qualified nurses, done in my own time and own expense.
1998-1999 diploma in adult health, plus 997 (nurse version of the 7307 but actually not as good, in fact pants compared to the 7307, I digress) and my critical care course.
2000-ongoing as father died in the middle of it and I followed that with twins a degree in occupational health, again in my own time!.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

londonmillie will become famous soon enoughlondonmillie will become famous soon enough

No I am not I agree, but being professional and being a professional are different as I tried to say before, I see daily professional people in shops, offices, bars, mail people, bus drivers.
but a professional can lose their job and if they F45k up also their licenses to practice, which is as it should be, and my few classes are
1990-1993 nurse training
1993-to present constant CPR, fire and customer service training once a year every year, added to by venipuncture, IVI, inoculation, bio terrorism, major incident, amongst a few things, I have so many certificates I am thinking of decorating a room with them!
1996-1997 adult education 7307? can't remember of the top of my head so I could teach nursing to qualified nurses, done in my own time and own expense.
1998-1999 diploma in adult health, plus 997 (nurse version of the 7307 but actually not as good, in fact pants compared to the 7307, I digress) and my critical care course.
2000-ongoing as father died in the middle of it and I followed that with twins a degree in occupational health, again in my own time!.
I can't believe how many rude people are on this site. All I did was ask a simple question. Yes, I am a nurse, with many years in the NHS. For a number of reasons I am looking to change my career path. What is wrong with that?
So many people from overseas come to London and seem to get secretarial work easily. That's why I asked the question whether there was much work available over there.

I thought this site was suppose to be helpful? but it seems that alot of people just have unpleasant things to say.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonmillie
I can't believe how many rude people are on this site. All I did was ask a simple question. Yes, I am a nurse, with many years in the NHS. For a number of reasons I am looking to change my career path. What is wrong with that?
So many people from overseas come to London and seem to get secretarial work easily. That's why I asked the question whether there was much work available over there.

I thought this site was suppose to be helpful? but it seems that alot of people just have unpleasant things to say.
This site is incredibly helpful, but you asked the wrong question.

The answer to your question is that there's always work available in America as an administrative assistant. But knowing this is as much use to you as a chocolate teapot if you do not have the right to live and work here. And securing that right through your newly chosen profession is extremely unlikely.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonmillie

You just have to take the rough with the smooth. Ignore what you don't need and take the good advice.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You just have to take the rough with the smooth. Ignore what you don't need and take the good advice.
even if the advice isn't what you wanted to hear, it's still valid and sound advice.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I can't see a problem, personally - call yourself what you want.
Unfortunately, when it comes to people faking or making up qualifications related to positions in healthcare, there has often been some quite dangerous practices allowed to go under the radar.

These Walter Mitty types who fabricate their qualifications (and there are many) can easily have access to drugs, intravenous lines, and breathing tubes. Paramedics in the UK now have their title protected by law, due to clowns like this...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1120320.ece

Places like ebay have made is simple for someone to look the part, and that is by no means an isoilated case. The Private ambulance sector, who do contract work for the NHS, is full of them as there is no regulation on their qualifications, training, or background.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7760798.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...on/5159406.stm

As for the Nursing profession - as has already been mentioned, many non-registered or allied nursing assistants have put themselves across as RNs to gain a higher paying job (though this is a little harder these days with online checking of professional credentials). The range of potentially lethal medications they have access to alone, gives a whole new meaning to "a little knowledge can be a bad thing"

http://www.cfe-arizona.org/News/FakeNurses.htm
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:38 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33
Unfortunately, when it comes to people faking or making up qualifications related to positions in healthcare, there has often been some quite dangerous practices allowed to go under the radar.

These Walter Mitty types who fabricate their qualifications (and there are many) can easily have access to drugs, intravenous lines, and breathing tubes. Paramedics in the UK now have their title protected by law, due to clowns like this...

Places like ebay have made is simple for someone to look the part, and that is by no means an isoilated case. The Private ambulance sector, who do contract work for the NHS, is full of them as there is no regulation on their qualifications, training, or background.

As for the Nursing profession - as has already been mentioned, many non-registered or allied nursing assistants have put themselves across as RNs to gain a higher paying job (though this is a little harder these days with online checking of professional credentials). The range of potentially lethal medications they have access to alone, gives a whole new meaning to "a little knowledge can be a bad thing"

scarey! which was the point I was trying to make, I learnt after flirting this site for many months before posting, a year ago, you have to qualify you experience.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:59 am
member of little note

[QUOTE=londonmillie;7827299]I can't believe how many rude people are on this site. All I did was ask a simple question. Yes, I am a nurse, with many years in the NHS. For a number of reasons I am looking to change my career path. What is wrong with that?

I thought this site was suppose to be helpful? but it seems that alot of people just have unpleasant things to say.[/QUOTE

nothing wrong, but why would you find this offensive, you say yes I am a nurse! what kind of nurse? what are your qualifications? as a nurse if you are an EN, then you ARE a nurse in the UK, but if a HCA you are a Health Care Assistant, doesn't compute in the US.
we are trying to help!, But saying I am a nurse doesn't help you need to say what type of nurse you are and your speciality, if you are an EN then you need to do a conversion course. simple.
I imagine like I did you live in the SE, but America isn't like Britian, you can't come in on basic stuff like the Ozzies do, and on that point have you ever seen a trained nurse or physio or doctor, come in as a sec! NO!
if you an RN or EN (after conversation) you stand better than a hope in hell, sec never! unless you are marrying a USC or spouse of one and even that isn't guaranteed!
Old Aug 11th 2009, 5:17 am
member of little note

sorry Milly that was blunt!
if you an RN, PM me I am about to go through the mangled mess that is nursing in the US, look in the nursing times back pages there are lots of reputable companies in there and if they are interested, they will plague you inbox!
also know where you want to live I saved a heap by phoning the nursing board here and I don't need to do the CGFNX exam,
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33

My question is why are the employers not doing background checks? Heck even retailers do them these days.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 3:33 am
member of little note

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My question is why are the employers not doing background checks? Heck even retailers do them these days.
they do them in the UK, for many years now but!!! people have taken on others identities, have you seen "paper mask" my fav film as a student nurse scary!
when my mum died, I knew to cancel her registration in case of fraud, but many family members don't realise so registration continues, which is why the nurse and midwives council went to 3 yearly registration, and now yearly, to cut down on on identity fraud, and charge us morehttp://www.channel4.com/film/reviews...4&section=crew
Old Aug 15th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh FFS I love how people just run off in their minds and imagine things that were not said. I did NOT say that secretaries are not bright. I did NOT say that I don't think they work hard, or are "worthy" (whatever the hell you mean by that_), or that anyone with a degree or license is any better than anyone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I merely said it would be unusual for an RN to retrain as a secretary. Think what you will, I stand by that statement. Yes, no doubt "someone" knows someone who did it, well gee I know someone who ran off to join a circus but that doesn't mean it's not unusual.

Jeez. F'ing drama queens.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

1990-1993 nurse training
If you have all that I would follow made of kents advice pm her and take a nice paying job in the USA - your visa etc will be so much easier as with most countries the US is still crying out for good nurses - everywhere so think outside the box and don't just go to the usual suspect cities where life can be arduous. If it was me I would look East coast - New Eng or Virginias, Midwest, or Pacific Northwest. Avoid LA, Miami, NY, SD, SF.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slidingbyee
If you have all that I would follow made of kents advice pm her and take a nice paying job in the USA - your visa etc will be so much easier as with most countries the US is still crying out for good nurses - everywhere so think outside the box and don't just go to the usual suspect cities where life can be arduous. If it was me I would look East coast - New Eng or Virginias, Midwest, or Pacific Northwest. Avoid LA, Miami, NY, SD, SF.

I guess you didn't read the whole thread.

Even if she applies with her nursing qualifications it still doesn't mean she will get here very easily. It is not the same as it was 10 years ago when you were a shoo in if you had a nursing degree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.