Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Wanting to go back - advice needed

Wanting to go back - advice needed

Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

JaneyH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to go back - advice needed

I’ve been really interested over the past few weeks reading your postings, so I thought I’d join in as I need some advice. My husband, children and I are thinking about moving to the US. We previously lived there from 91-94. My husband was in the Air Force and we were posted to the British Embassy in Washington DC. We had a great time and lived the life of Riley. We only paid the equivalent of married quarter rent on a huge four bed house and had all our utility and medical bills paid for. We have been waiting all this time to be in a financial position to go back. We realise that things would be different and a lot harder not being ‘looked after’ but are willing to give it a go as we loved living there. We have been deemed ‘suitable’ by a law firm over here so are now on the look out for the right jobs to get us there on H1B visas. We are looking to move Spring/Summer 06.

The advice I am looking for is to do with credit rating and Social Security numbers. We had bank accounts and credit cards when we lived in the US before and so would have built up some sort of rating. Does anyone know if after ten years this will have been wiped from the records? Similarly I was issued with a SS number. Are these issued for life, will it still be active?

Maybe I’m clutching at straws after all this time, but it would all help with the move.
Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:57 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to go back - advice needed

Originally Posted by JaneyH
I’ve been really interested over the past few weeks reading your postings, so I thought I’d join in as I need some advice. My husband, children and I are thinking about moving to the US. We previously lived there from 91-94. My husband was in the Air Force and we were posted to the British Embassy in Washington DC. We had a great time and lived the life of Riley. We only paid the equivalent of married quarter rent on a huge four bed house and had all our utility and medical bills paid for. We have been waiting all this time to be in a financial position to go back. We realise that things would be different and a lot harder not being ‘looked after’ but are willing to give it a go as we loved living there. We have been deemed ‘suitable’ by a law firm over here so are now on the look out for the right jobs to get us there on H1B visas. We are looking to move Spring/Summer 06.

The advice I am looking for is to do with credit rating and Social Security numbers. We had bank accounts and credit cards when we lived in the US before and so would have built up some sort of rating. Does anyone know if after ten years this will have been wiped from the records? Similarly I was issued with a SS number. Are these issued for life, will it still be active?

Maybe I’m clutching at straws after all this time, but it would all help with the move.
If you've been reading this Forum and British Expats for any length of time, I'm sure you realize that being eligible for a US visa is the key to your move.

The cap for H1-Bs for 2005 (?) has already been filled in general. It's not clear whether you and your husband will be applying for H1-Bs in your own right or if you'll be accompanying him on an H-4.

Have you looked at the official website concerning SSNs? There's probably a FAQ or page on there that may possibly answer your question about the validity of your SSNs.

Also, I hope you're aware than an H1-B is not an automatic route to living and working in the US permanently. It is a dual intent visa but as you may have read, some Brits working on H-1Bs have had to return to the UK when their employer relocates them back to the UK or makes them redundant.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 1:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Does anyone know if after ten years this will have been wiped from the records? Similarly I was issued with a SS number. Are these issued for life, will it still be active?

Your SSN is yours for life, not only is still there and still active, it can't be changed.

However you'll almost certainly find that your credit history has withered to nought. I think that things drop off your credit history after seven years, so you'll be starting from scratch.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 4:05 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Head over to myfico.com (trustworthy site) and part your self from $40 to find out. That much will get you a copy of the 3 Credit Bureau reports on your SS#.
Accounts that you consider closed, may not be considered so by the creditor. Don't be surprised if you find some that still appear to be 'live'.
Old Nov 13th 2004, 10:59 am
Just Joined

JaneyH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Head over to myfico.com (trustworthy site) and part your self from $40 to find out. That much will get you a copy of the 3 Credit Bureau reports on your SS#.
Accounts that you consider closed, may not be considered so by the creditor. Don't be surprised if you find some that still appear to be 'live'.
Thanks I'll give it a try