Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want to return to the US with my Brit husband

Want to return to the US with my Brit husband

Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Olderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud of
Default Want to return to the US with my Brit husband

Hi all,

I could really use some advice as I just don't know which stickies I should be reading to get the correct info.

I am American by birth and hold a US passport but have lived virtually all my life in the UK. My husband (a Brit) and I have been married for almost two years now (been together for 10 yrs) and want to make a lifestyle change by moving to the States. We are currently researching Florida as the sunshine appeals.

My problem is, I haven't the first clue as to how to get us there. Obviously hubby needs a visa but for myself, having never lived in the States, I am at a loss as to how to repatriate.

What do we need to do to get the ball rolling? I know that these must be pretty basic questions and if I look deeper into the posts I may find my answer but my searching so far has left me even more confused. Any advice or links to appropriate threads would be really helpful.

Many thanks
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:58 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to return to the US with my Brit husband

For you, you only need to have a valid US passport to move to the US. For your husband you need to file an immigrant petition (form I-130) with the US embassy in London, and subsequently your husband needs to apply for an immigrant visa from the US embassy. This process may take around six months.

Once your husband gets the immigrant visa, you are ready to go. Since you are married for about two years, make sure your husband enters the US with an immigrant visa after the second anniversary of your marriage, as this will make things simpler for him later on - he will get an unconditional green card rather than a conditional one.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

As a US citizen, you should have been filing US tax returns each year. If you haven't been doing that you should file now for the most recent three years.

Originally Posted by Olderbutnotwiser
Hi all,

I could really use some advice as I just don't know which stickies I should be reading to get the correct info.

I am American by birth and hold a US passport but have lived virtually all my life in the UK. My husband (a Brit) and I have been married for almost two years now (been together for 10 yrs) and want to make a lifestyle change by moving to the States. We are currently researching Florida as the sunshine appeals.

My problem is, I haven't the first clue as to how to get us there. Obviously hubby needs a visa but for myself, having never lived in the States, I am at a loss as to how to repatriate.

What do we need to do to get the ball rolling? I know that these must be pretty basic questions and if I look deeper into the posts I may find my answer but my searching so far has left me even more confused. Any advice or links to appropriate threads would be really helpful.

Many thanks

Last edited by dreamercon; Jan 15th 2009 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously hubby needs a visa but for myself, having never lived in the States, I am at a loss as to how to repatriate.
Immigration issues aside, you are a US citizen, you can return to the US at any time... no questions asked.

What do we need to do to get the ball rolling?
1) Whether you know it or not, as a USC you are obligated to file a US tax return every year. I'm pretty sure you've never done this, but to satisfy immigration requirements, you should file a return for the most recent 3 years. You likely won't have to actually pay anything, but you need to file.

2) You need to file form I-130 (available at www.uscis.gov). Since you've lived in the UK for so long, you should be able to file the form in London. Should take about 4 months or so to get the visa. He'll need a medical and ACPO certificate, and you'll need to demonstrate your ability to support him financially (form I-864).

3) You will need to demonstrate "domicile" or "intent to domicile" in the US. Do a quick search of the forum for the term "domicile". Things like getting a job, enrolling children in school, buying a house... etc. You don't actually need to *live* in the US at this point, but you need to show that you intend to live in the US once your husband's visa is approved.

4) Umm... nothing. There is no #4.

Okay... it's not quite as simple as this, but this basically outlines what needs to be done. While the process can be somewhat frustrating and a bit time consuming, it isn't difficult.

Oh... if you are not already a UK citizen, I suggest you take care of that ASAP. It'll solve any future problems if the US doesn't work out for you!

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Olderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud ofOlderbutnotwiser has much to be proud of

Thank you guys - this helps me enormously and I apologise to you for having to "hold my hand"

About the tax return - uuum... I have never ever submitted one and had no idea I had to do this? I've been living in the UK since I was two and am fast approaching forty now. I will look into submitting one asap but really haven't worked much over the last 3 years, just done a few temporary jobs when I needed to.

My husband was medically retired due to depression some years ago and now receives a pension each month for the rest of his life. Is that something we need to be concerned about when he applies for his visa? He can work on a part-time basis without it affecting his pension but I just wonder if it will be an obstacle? I'm probably over-worrying but I'm cautious by nature and like to have all angles covered.

I don't hold a UK passport as I have never wanted British Citizenship, and I don't think we will ever return to the UK to live, but we will want to return to visit relatives.

Lastly, I've never had a US social security number to my knowledge, how would I go about this? Is it something I can apply for once we are up and running or should I be making enquiries now?

Thanks for putting a smile on my face, so glad to have found this site, it makes things a little easier knowing you guys are here
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you have considered Medical cost in the US in your budgeting

Bear in mind Florida is in the hole financially with little work or the prospect of any for the forseeable future ... but the bills just keep going up ..

You certainly are not picking a good time to do this
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
I hope you have considered Medical cost in the US in your budgeting

Bear in mind Florida is in the hole financially with little work or the prospect of any for the forseeable future ... but the bills just keep going up ..

You certainly are not picking a good time to do this

Yes, we have thought about this and the timing is a little off to say the least. However, it's the same here in the UK and pretty much everywhere at the moment. I don't mind what work I do, I aim to work part-time and am happy to gut fish or wait on tables all day if that's what it takes. One good thing is, we won't have a mortgage. We plan to buy our home outright so that will help reduce our monthly outgoings.

As for the medical costs, yep that's a bind for sure and we'll be looking into insurance once we arrive. We have been spoilt by the NHS here and relatives have already been quick to point out the cost of meds etc.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I can't make the case strong enough for you to get your UK Citizenship before you come to the US. If you can't make it in the US and you need to return to the UK, you will be far better off with UK Citizenship. You have a number of issues that need to be dealt with and the most costly will be the medical care of your husband. Since he is receiving a pension due to a mental/emotional condition and lives daily on meds to see him through the day, a doctor will have to sign off on his mental health and that needs to be given to the USCIS Panel Physician in London who will do his immigration medical.

Also as a person who needs meds and a doctor's care, you really need to have medical insurance which is exorbitant for individuals. You are looking at a monthly cost of perhaps $500 just for coverage and that would mean you will have a deductible of a thousand or more and the healthcare will only pick up perhaps 80% after that of the costs and this will not include the cost of meds. Also well, pre-existing conditions might not be covered.

Unless you are planning on finding a job that offers healthcare benefits (and a lot of places don't these days and/or you have to pay the cost either in full or part for group coverage through an employer), you are going to be hit hard.

Also is the fact that you have not been working and unless your husband's pension is converted to 125% of the US poverty guidelines and/or you have 3X the poverty guidelines for a family your size in assets, you will need a co-sponsor. The co-sponsor has to be living in the US and be either a USC and/or a Legal Permanent Resident.

So those are your 3 largest hurdles:

1. Getting your husband approved by the panel physician;

2. Fiancial sponsorship; and

3. Healthcare

Note: Others who have been through the US Consulate for the immediate relative visa have had to show a healthcare policy at the time of the interview.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise to you for having to "hold my hand"
No problem... that's what we do!

About the tax return - uuum... I have never ever submitted one and had no idea I had to do this?
This is a familiar situation to many who, like you, have lived in the UK for an extended period of time. Contact the US Embassy in London... they have a whole section devoted to taxes and I understand they are quite happy to help. All reports indicate they are friendly and non-hostile!

Is that something we need to be concerned about when he applies for his visa?
This is probably not a huge concern. The issue revolves around the potential (or history) of self-harm or harm to others. If his own physician is willing to sign off on that, the medical should be quite routine.

He can work on a part-time basis without it affecting his pension but I just wonder if it will be an obstacle?
Once he enters the US, he will immediately become a US permanent resident and will have have permission to work from day one. Whether he chooses to work or not is entirely up to him - although my only caution here would be to ensure that you and he meet the requirements for the I-864. As long as his income continues from the same source, it is useable to comply with the I-864 requirements. Read the form and the instructions to determine whether that income will be sufficient (roughly $17,500/year).

I don't hold a UK passport as I have never wanted British Citizenship, and I don't think we will ever return to the UK to live, but we will want to return to visit relatives.
Fair enough. I don't know if you have or are going to have any children, but you may want to consider how that might affect them in the future if they want to live in the UK - or in any other EU country! The world's their oyster (or oyster-pass... pun intended). Come to think of it, as a UKC, you would also be eligible to live/work anywhere in the EU. Something to consider. Many folks would give their eyeteeth to be in that position!

Lastly, I've never had a US social security number to my knowledge, how would I go about this? Is it something I can apply for once we are up and running or should I be making enquiries now?
Take a look at www.ssa.gov and see if you can apply while you're still in the UK. If either of you plan on working, you'll both need one, although hubby isn't eligible to get one until he enters the US. Realize that not having a SS# will very likely negatively affect your ability to get credit once you're back in the US.

Ian
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

All good advice and I thank you for it

With reference to hubby's depression I must point out that although he was medically retired, he is still able to work. His condition does not require any medication and/or psychiatric treatment. The condition itself is Dysthymia which is a form of depression which tends to linger and is not treatable by standard methods such as anti-depressives. What it really means is, he is just sadder than most people lol. He is certainly not a danger to himself or others. We think that his condition is aggravated by the lack of sun, and during the summer months in Britain he is fine, but the winters get him down. This is in part, one of the reasons for wanting to move to warmer climes.

I will look into the 1-864 requirements and see how/if we meet that criteria. It's only the two of us and no kids (no kiddies planned either). I'm hoping that our assets will cover this but I need to do some research to get my figures straight. The pension he gets will be approx' $600 a month, it's not a lot.

The figure of $500 a month for health insurance is a shock, I knew we would be paying a lot but oh my

Great feedback folks - appreciate it. I'll post more as and when I have more info.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

My UKC spouse receives a pension from the UK; you should be able to use his income on the I-864 if it will continue when he's in the US. Document that well.

As for the depression, if it was enough to get him medically discharged, you'll want to make sure his situation is well documented (hopefully in your favor). Don't trust the system will know the differences you're spelling out. Prepare and present the case properly.
For example, there is a thread going now (not unique) from a person whose visa was denied and he's been medically deemed an alcoholic. He & his spouse thought it was two, separate drink driving busts, but the implications are much more.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Thanks Meauxna

Yes, I guess we will have to document his form of depression properly. It's always a difficult subject as depression can mean many different things to different people. Sadly, many different conditions are termed as depression and I think this can be confusing.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

The figure of $500 a month for health insurance is a shock, I knew we would be paying a lot but oh my
I thought that figure was rather low ...for good coverage
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Indeed.

I have a few family members in the States who cannot afford decent healthcare or dental plans and they struggle with paying for meds. It's a lot of money for sure and I really feel for people in that situation.

I remember my grandmother visiting me here in the UK some years ago, we had a family picnic and she was knocked over by the dog when we were playing rounders (a Brit form of Baseball). We had to take her to hospital as she was taking meds that thinned her blood and any bruising was something to be cautious of. The nurses loved her, she kept trying to give her insurance details and offered money to them too, bless her. She just couldn't get over the fact that her treatment was free. She never forgot that.

The husband and I are pretty healthy people and I guess we will have to find an insurance package to suit us and budget accordingly.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:40 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. My husbaand and I have Atlantis Insurance. www.atlantshp.com. It's $628 for the two of us a month. No deductable.$20 copay for doctors and 10/25 for meds. I know it seems steep but compared to alot of other companies it's quite reasonable. I have some very good doctors and I don't need a referral for specialists. He thinks it's shocking being from the UK but I told him you just can't be without insurance here. It's a big expence I knoiw but we are scrimping in other areas at the moment.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:53 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Hi. My husbaand and I have Atlantis Insurance. www.atlantshp.com. It's $628 for the two of us a month. No deductable.$20 copay for doctors and 10/25 for meds. I know it seems steep but compared to alot of other companies it's quite reasonable. I have some very good doctors and I don't need a referral for specialists. He thinks it's shocking being from the UK but I told him you just can't be without insurance here. It's a big expence I knoiw but we are scrimping in other areas at the moment.
I tried that link last time you posted it but forgot to follow up ..

This is the link that works to reach that company: http://www.atlantishp.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.