British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Want to move to US for minimum 1 year. Please advise! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/want-move-us-minimum-1-year-please-advise-802624/)

Matty123 Jul 11th 2013 9:40 pm

Want to move to US for minimum 1 year. Please advise!

Dear guys & girls,

I hope i'm in the right place to gain a better understanding of what is required to try and achieve my goal!

I'll start by telling you a little about myself;

My names Matt, i'm 23, from Southport, graduated last summer, working in Financial Services (Marketing).

I've always had a huge ambition to go to America, and submerge myself within the culture & lifestyle.
A couple of years ago my brother & friends went to the US football coaching, and came back telling me amazing stories, and how they lived the dream for 12 months.

Seen as i'm 24 at the end of this year, I feel the time is right for me to start exploring my options, and see what the possibilities are of me getting over there.

I'm starting as a blank canvas, so i'm not rushing into this, just want some advice from you guys....

Where exactly do I start?
Do I need to be looking at any specific websites for UK citizens?
When would I need to apply for a VISA?

Appreciate you taking the time to help me here! :D

lansbury Jul 11th 2013 9:50 pm

Re: Want to move to US for minimum 1 year. Please advise!

Start by reading this http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA.

Unless you meet one of those requirements for a visa you are not coming here for any longer than a 90 day visit on the VWP.

markwm Jul 11th 2013 10:44 pm

Your best bet is to get a job with a company that has offices in the US and get a transfer. Failing that, marry an American.

Bob Jul 11th 2013 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by markwm (Post 10795859)
Your best bet is to get a job with a company that has offices in the US and get a transfer. Failing that, marry an American.

But he is also a recent grad, so a look at a J1 internship visa might be feasible for a finance type position.

Competition would be fierce though, so it had best not be a drinking degree.

For just a year, it would be the quickest and easiest option.

markwm Jul 11th 2013 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10795866)
But he is also a recent grad, so a look at a J1 internship visa might be feasible for a finance type position.

Competition would be fierce though, so it had best not be a drinking degree.

For just a year, it would be the quickest and easiest option.

Good point.

penguinsix Jul 11th 2013 10:54 pm

J1 or maybe an F1 to get a Master's degree (some programs are only a year). However with the education option he wouldn't get to work--just have to pay quite a bit to study.

Steve_ Jul 11th 2013 11:03 pm

Yeah J-1 or maybe H-3, or give up and come to Canada on an IEC visa.

http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/intern

bewildering Jul 11th 2013 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by MoneyextraMatt (Post 10795784)
Dear guys & girls,

I hope i'm in the right place to gain a better understanding of what is required to try and achieve my goal!

I'll start by telling you a little about myself;

My names Matt, i'm 23, from Southport, graduated last summer, working in Financial Services (Marketing).

I've always had a huge ambition to go to America, and submerge myself within the culture & lifestyle.
A couple of years ago my brother & friends went to the US football coaching, and came back telling me amazing stories, and how they lived the dream for 12 months.

Seen as i'm 24 at the end of this year, I feel the time is right for me to start exploring my options, and see what the possibilities are of me getting over there.

I'm starting as a blank canvas, so i'm not rushing into this, just want some advice from you guys....

Where exactly do I start?
Do I need to be looking at any specific websites for UK citizens?
When would I need to apply for a VISA?

Appreciate you taking the time to help me here! :D

Hmmm,
Have you an Irish grandparent?
The Irish have a one year visa to go work, but you have to be an irish citizen. I believe that is relatively simple for a UK citizen IF you have one grandparent.

You could also do the student route for a year, you just need money! Plenty of Master's programs and the US universities would love to take your money.

RICH Jul 11th 2013 11:08 pm

How Did Your Brother Do It?
Edit to see if I fixed the wierd capitalization. Yep.

Duncan Roberts Jul 12th 2013 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10795866)

Is over a year still classed as recent?

kins Jul 12th 2013 2:24 am

Do the football coaching thing your brother did?

Bob Jul 12th 2013 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts (Post 10796021)
Is over a year still classed as recent?

Not sure, would be something for the OP to look into. I can't remember if it was 12-18 months after graduation.