Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want to keep my UK driving licence

Want to keep my UK driving licence

Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to keep my UK driving licence

Old Dec 31st 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
My fear in using a UK license while being a US resident, is over insurance. I would hate to have an accident and for my position to be seen by the insurance company (as I think it very well could be with red tape) and for me to be found to be uninsured and liable.
Whenever we go back, me brother lends us one of his cars which he gets insured for our use. His insurance company asked if we had valid US licenses as this would be required for the insurance to be valid.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

COB, you should be aware that you cannot be considered 'resident' in both countries simultaneously. It's one or the other.

Since you will need access to the US, you need to maintain your US residency. As has been said, that means short trips outside the US, and repeated trips for too long will make it harder and harder for you to regain entry to the US since immigration will look at your travel history and question whether you have materially abandoned your PR status.

Forget about your UK license, if you are a US resident it is not valid for driving in the UK anyway, whether it's in date or not. If you rent or insure a car in the UK based on the UK license and then have an RTA, your residency outside the UK means that your insurance/rental insurance is highly likely to be invalidated, since your license is not valid.

You can't have your cake and eat it, I'm afraid.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
COB, you should be aware that you cannot be considered 'resident' in both countries simultaneously. It's one or the other. ... .
That is totally false.
Where on earth did that concept come from?!
You can be resident in several countries at the same time. And residence for driving purposes is not the same as residence for income tax purposes.

The UK does not prevent non-residents from holding driving licences actually. But it is an EU regulation that no member country may RENEW a driving licence for a non-resident. It is EU regulation (which has the force of law), it is not a UK statute.

DVLA does not even want to know about change of address unless you have a new UK address. You are required to tell them about a new UK address if/when you acquire one, but not about a foreign address. Not even within the EU.

The law is an ass. I checked North Dakota. You are considered a resident and required to get a DL if you work there legally for 90 days. But when you come to actually get that reqiuired license then working there legally for 90 days is not considered evidence of residency according to DMV guidelines. Go figure.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

"You are considered a resident and required to get a DL if you work there legally for 90 days."

I didn't know about this. So, basically, they treat your DL as your 'papers', as an ID card.
How can you get a DL if you can't drive? I have a friend who has epilepsy, and he is not allowed to drive - is there some kind of non-driving driving licence?

FWIW, I went to the DMV (in Virginia) very soon after getting my Green Card, and all they wanted was my SSN - there was no mention of my UK DL.

I went in just to see what the procedure for getting a DL was, and they said "well, you've been driving for years, why don't you take the test right now."
I replied, "what if I fail?", and they blithely said, "just take it again later", so I went for it.
Drove out of the carpark, three right turns to go around the block, and I'd passed the practical. No reversing around a corner, no emergency stop, no three point turn. Piece of the proverbial.
Back into the office, quick mulitiple guess on a touch screen, answers that any idiot could deduce, and bang, I was in.

It did answer a lot of questions about the pitiful standard of driving over here.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
How can you get a DL if you can't drive?
You can't.

I have a friend who has epilepsy, and he is not allowed to drive - is there some kind of non-driving driving licence?
Yes, a State ID.

Rene
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, a State ID.
And it is issued by the same people who issue the DLs.

I don't know whether ND requires people who have worked there for 90+days to get a State Id if they don't drive. Only that they do require a DL if the worker does drive (and almost all employed workers do).
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
That is totally false.
Where on earth did that concept come from?!
You can be resident in several countries at the same time. And residence for driving purposes is not the same as residence for income tax purposes.
Nonsense. Where did your idea that you can be resident in multiple countries come from?

You can only be legally resident in one country at a time. And for the US, you have to be a resident to qualify for a US driver's license.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 10:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

You can only be legally resident in one country at a time.
If I had a house in both countries, and 6 months between the 2. I'd have 2 drivers licenses.

There is no law as far as I am aware against this.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
How can you get a DL if you can't drive?
Get an Ohio drivers license.

thousands have them and can't drive.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
If I had a house in both countries, and 6 months between the 2. I'd have 2 drivers licenses.

There is no law as far as I am aware against this.
You cannot according to EU law re-new a UK DL if you are not a UK resident.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:04 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You cannot according to EU law re-new a UK DL if you are not a UK resident.
if you live there 6 months you're a resident no? for those 6 months at least?
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
if you live there 6 months you're a resident no? for those 6 months at least?
I dunno.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Neptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura aboutNeptun has a spectacular aura about

Definition of "Normal residence" from the 3rd EU directive on driving licences

Article 12
Normal residence
For the purpose of this Directive, ‘normal residence’ means the place where a person usually lives, that is for at least 185 days in each calendar year, because of personal and occupational ties, or, in the case of a person with no occupational ties, because of personal ties which show close links between that person and the place where he is living.
However, the normal residence of a person whose occupational ties are in a different place from his personal ties and who consequently lives in turn in different places situated in two or more Member States shall be regarded as being the place of his personal ties, provided that such person returns there regularly. This last condition need not be met where the person is living in a Member State in order to carry out a task of a definite duration. Attendance at a university or school shall not imply transfer of normal residence.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Nonsense. Where did your idea that you can be resident in multiple countries come from?
Nonsense. Where did your idea that there is only one definition of the word "resident" come from.

And for the US, you have to be a resident to qualify for a US driver's license.
Nonsense - quite apart from the fact that driver's licenses are issued by the 50 states and there are, therefore, 50 sets of different laws relating to the issuance of driver's licenses this is simply not true. While most states require proof of "lawful presence" before they will issue a license, "lawful presence" is not the same as "residence" .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.