Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Want to get rid of my landline

Wikiposts

Want to get rid of my landline

Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to get rid of my landline

Originally Posted by rpjs
But how can they tell? It's not like the UK where mobiles have their own numbering plan.
That's what I wanted to know. Something to do with the police doing the town emergency calls only going to landlines, but I think it's more against certain VOIP providers who don't do the 911 emergency thing and it's a catch all to make their lives easier.

Though I think everyone can get the 911 thing squared away so it shouldn't be a problem.

Or it might just be because they can only auto call local area code numbers. I know we couldn't port our old landline number when we moved here for some reason.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 6:59 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.republicwireless.com it uses a new technology whereby it switches between wifi and CDMA, so if you are at home with the wifi on, calls cost nothing (other than the $5 monthly fee) and if you're away from a wifi signal, you use the phone normally.

The only downside is that the CDMA carrier is Sprint who are a bit crap on coverage but you save so much using the wifi it's not an issue really if you're forced to roam.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

We have a Vonage phone with a UK and a US number, both come through to the same phoneline.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..... Or it might just be because they can only auto call local area code numbers. I know we couldn't port our old landline number when we moved here for some reason.
You can't port a landline number outside of it's exchange area, you certainly couldn't and I still think they don't allow it, but you can port any domestic US number to a cell phone, so as long as the "exchange" numbers (4th, 5th, and 6th digit of your ten digit phone number) are "local" to your school district, they aren't going to know that you have ported the number to a cell phone.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 9:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can't port a landline number outside of it's exchange area, you certainly couldn't and I still think they don't allow it, but you can port any domestic US number to a cell phone, so as long as the "exchange" numbers (4th, 5th, and 6th digit of your ten digit phone number) are "local" to your school district, they aren't going to know that you have ported the number to a cell phone.
Then they probably just didn't want to have to explain it
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:00 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
The problem is her being able to call my US cell phone. She says this is expensive for her.
If she is dialing from a UK landline, then it would cost her substantially more to call a UK mobile than it would to call a UK landline.

But she pays no premium at all to call a US mobile. The premium paid comes out of your pocket, in the form of airtime minutes.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Ooma for my phone, no landline at all.

I use Rebtel to call the UK and to allow my Brother to call me. The rates to his landline is reasonable, to his mobile not so.

I have also been looking at Republic Wireless, I very rarely use a phone away from base. Ooma sends me an email with any message left on the main number, I can call using my Tablet to make calls, obviously not quite so convenient. It is not very often than I need to return calls immediately, I have no desire to be instantly contactable like some.

Republic Wireless announced the Motorola X today, $300 and as stated their plans start at $5 if you just use wifi, you can change your plan twice a month, so that may be the way to go if I need cell service occasionally.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to get rid of my land line phone as all I get are cold calls anyhow and I don't even know the number if I'm asked , but my family says to keep it for calling 911 if needed , your address shows up, doesn't on your cell phone .
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Try www.republicwireless.com it uses a new technology whereby it switches between wifi and CDMA, so if you are at home with the wifi on, calls cost nothing (other than the $5 monthly fee) and if you're away from a wifi signal, you use the phone normally.

The only downside is that the CDMA carrier is Sprint who are a bit crap on coverage but you save so much using the wifi it's not an issue really if you're forced to roam.
Are they "open" again? We tried to get my son one of those deals when they first started a couple of years back, but it was oversubscribed. We checked the box for "let me know when its available again" and never heard anything else. Probably went to the junk folder....
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

They were running Beta for a while. Sprint is the big downer. They are supposed to be adding some more phones, presumably the G will be next.

No rush, might wait for that.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 2:46 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
They were running Beta for a while. Sprint is the big downer. They are supposed to be adding some more phones, presumably the G will be next.

No rush, might wait for that.
We weren't that worried about the carrier, as he really only uses it at home, school or from friends, so pretty much always has access to wifi. We ended up adding him to our T-Mobile family plan for $15 a month with a free smartphone, "unlimited" data and more minutes than he can ever use - until he gets a girlfriend and/or passes through the monosyllabic grunt phase...
Old Nov 14th 2013, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We weren't that worried about the carrier, as he really only uses it at home, school or from friends, so pretty much always has access to wifi. We ended up adding him to our T-Mobile family plan for $15 a month with a free smartphone, "unlimited" data and more minutes than he can ever use - until he gets a girlfriend and/or passes through the monosyllabic grunt phase...
RW have a $5 plan for just wifi and as I do not answer when driving I usually have wifi access or can find some if desperate.

I pay $15 pm now which works out about $1 per minute.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You can't port a landline number outside of it's exchange area
Didn't you mention apostrophe abuse on another thread...?
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:45 am
Account Closed

You have been burned
Old Nov 15th 2013, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We ended up adding him to our T-Mobile family plan for $15 a month with a free smartphone, "unlimited" data and more minutes than he can ever use - until he gets a girlfriend and/or passes through the monosyllabic grunt phase...
We've just added our teen son to our plan, but it's cheaper than that - $50 for the first device (mine), $30 for the next (hubby) and then $10 for every subsequent device afterwards, all for unlimited calls, text and data. This is the newish plan they've brought out, which is just the airtime but you need to already have the phones, or to buy them separately. We don't have a landline, and it's not been a problem - even the school announcement system is happy to phone the cells with its automated message.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.